• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry saves the day in Canada

Jeff. State

Banned
The Sergeant at Arms narrative is so heart warming and "unifying".

But................

Anyone who closely listened to the shootout audio will realize at least 2 and most likely more guns were being fired at the deceased. My guess is from beginning to end 40 plus shots were fired.

Everybody loves a great "story" however.

Listen closely for youselves

Globe and Mail footage captures shooting in Parliament building
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGqoISd-do&feature=youtu.be

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He went to his office and retrieved the pistol from a locked box.

Have not heard this. Do you have a cite?

The Sergeant at Arms narrative is so heart warming and "unifying".

But................

Anyone who closely listened to the shootout audio will realize at least 2 and most likely more guns were being fired at the deceased. My guess is from beginning to end 40 plus shots were fired.

Everybody loves a great "story" however.

Listen closely for youselves

Globe and Mail footage captures shooting in Parliament building
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGqoISd-do&feature=youtu.be

Hard to tell how many shots were fired - lots of echo. Seemed like around 20 to me.

Maverick9

Have not heard this. Do you have a cite?

Hard to tell how many shots were fired - lots of echo. Seemed like around 20 to me.

I heard the 'went to office, retrieved out of desk' from a talking head. Not sure it's been in print. I also heard 'dozens' and '40' shots. Also one other besides the SoA shot. One pulled the barrel of the perp's gun to the ground at time=0 and got shot in the leg.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I contacted several gov't officials noting it took 30 rds to get this guy and that our mag. limit of 10 rds should be repealed or simply not enforced.

WalkingWolf

From the look of his dress I would say he was not open carrying. If he did not retrieve the pistol he was concealed carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, concealed carry has always been seen as be armed if needed. Open carry IMO is be armed so it will not be needed.

vickers-pistol.jpg

Last edited:

XD40sc

From the look of his dress I would say he was not open carrying. If he did not retrieve the pistol he was concealed carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, concealed carry has always been seen as be armed if needed. Open carry IMO is be armed so it will not be needed.

The reality is that he retrieved the gun from a lock box, assumed to be in his office.

Don't know if it is standard practice for the SAA to have a weapon, or if he did primarily because he is a former (29 year veteran) RCMP officer. The Sargent-at-Arms is primarily a ceremonial position.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I contacted several gov't officials noting it took 30 rds to get this guy and that our mag. limit of 10 rds should be repealed or simply not enforced.

False assumption: It did not "take 30 rounds to get this guy." The first several rounds most likely stopped the threat. We have plenty of examples here in the States of LEOs doing mag dumps in the heat of the moment and during the adrenalin rush. Given that there were a number of LEOs in the hall firing, it's not unlikely that some or most of them were firing repeatedly. Writing to "several gov't officials" and saying that it took thirty rounds will be seen as hyperbole and lessen the impact of your statement, IMHO.

bchunter

He's a government official. He doesn't have to follow the rules us peons do.

I could care less what stopped the "terrorist".

The "terrorist" would have been stopped after he shot the ceremonial guard if citizens were allowed ccw.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

HPmatt

Links work for me - both on iphone and desktop google chrome browser.

The 2nd link has a transcript of the pertinent part of his recording:

“That day was a blur to me,” he said. “I woke up about 5:30 in the morning and I was crying. It was the loneliest moment of my life.”
Vickers, who is now the ambassador to Ireland, recounted how he came face-to-face with Zehaf-Bibeau on Oct. 22, after the gunman had shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial and rampaged through the halls of Parliament.
“I found myself on one side of the pillar, and a gunmen on the other side of the pillar,” he said matter-of-factly.
He said Zehaf-Bibeau’s gun was so close to him, he thought he could just snatch it out of his hand — but Zehaf-Bibeau fired. Vickers, who had served in the RCMP for almost 30 years, reacted instinctively, diving to the floor and firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf-Bibeau.
“I bumped up against a moment in history,” he said, quoting CTV journalist Craig Oliver.​

In the audio clip, I do not hear Vickers say anything along the lines of the article: '...firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf....".
The comments below the first post talk about a security guard actually shooting and taking out the attacker, not Vickers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Links work for me - both on iphone and desktop google chrome browser.

The 2nd link has a transcript of the pertinent part of his recording:
“That day was a blur to me,” he said. “I woke up about 5:30 in the morning and I was crying. It was the loneliest moment of my life.”
Vickers, who is now the ambassador to Ireland, recounted how he came face-to-face with Zehaf-Bibeau on Oct. 22, after the gunman had shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial and rampaged through the halls of Parliament.
“I found myself on one side of the pillar, and a gunmen on the other side of the pillar,” he said matter-of-factly.
He said Zehaf-Bibeau’s gun was so close to him, he thought he could just snatch it out of his hand — but Zehaf-Bibeau fired. Vickers, who had served in the RCMP for almost 30 years, reacted instinctively, diving to the floor and firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf-Bibeau.
“I bumped up against a moment in history,” he said, quoting CTV journalist Craig Oliver.​

In the audio clip, I do not hear Vickers say anything along the lines of the article: '...firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf....".
The comments below the first post talk about a security guard actually shooting and taking out the attacker, not Vickers.

Is Vickers then claiming credit for that which is not supported by evidence/facts?

Last edited:

HPmatt

I have found nothing where he claims that, but also have found nothing of an authoritative source that lays out details of who was involved in taking down the Perp.

Was it just Vickers, or were there others? In the audio clip he says he jumped through the air and landed on the ground beneath the shooter. Nothing said about who/how Perp was taken out. Don't want t/b a conspiracist but just call me 'from Missouri - the Showme state.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How about we stop the thread drift and get back to determining if Vickers was carrying (OC or CC) at the time the rodeo started?

Trying to determine if he was instrumental in stopping the shooting, or how much more or less instrumental than others that were or were not there, seems like a waste of time.

To me the bottom line is a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun, and did so a lot faster than a good guy without a gun could have.

stay safe.