Thread: Obama's Solicitor General says 'Get rid of your guns if merely accused of a crime'

Moderator / Administrator

Obama's Solicitor General says 'Get rid of your guns if merely accused of a crime'

The US Supreme Court just granted certiorari to a case in which President Obama's Solicitor General told the Supreme Court that "there was no need for the Supreme Court to hear the case, in part because Henderson could have sold the guns prior to his conviction," thus explicitly meaning that if you are accused of any major crime, you better sell your guns quick, or lose all chance at retaining your financial interest in the guns if you are convicted, even if your appeal is still pending.

Equally troubling was Obama's Solicitor General's statement that a person convicted of a major crime could not transfer his firearms to "his wife or a friend" because it would create "a significant risk" that he would still retain access to them. After all, a man's conviction does not cast a scarlet letter against gun ownership by his wife and friends. A person residing with another person who is prohibited from possessing firearms may still possess firearms provided she maintains sole control of the firearms by reasonable means, such as sole possession of the key to a gun safe, etc.

See http://www.vagazette.com/news/sns-rt...,4604756.story

SNIP

U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, representing the government, said in court papers there was no need for the Supreme Court to hear the case, in part because Henderson could have sold the guns prior to his conviction.

Furthermore, Henderson's proposals would have put the guns in the hands of either his wife or a friend, which "created a significant risk" that he would still retain access to them, Verrilli wrote.

Better sell off all his kitchenware, cast iron skillets, car, tools, garden implements, rope, table legs, masonry, xswimming pools and bathrooms, and xplastic bags.

(x added to avoid skimming)
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Brief of respondent [Solicitor General] United States in opposition filed

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

<Sigh>

I dont see the benefits of this case one way or the other. It should be more aligned with weather or not fellons have thier (gun) rights restored after being release - or - "Good enough to be among the citizens = Good enough to have your (Gun) rights". I really wish they'd put the time/energy in to more important firearm cases.

- Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is an important case, or what the benefits/drawbacks are here for us non-criminal types.
    Last edited by Batousaii; 10-24-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    - Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is an important case, or what the benefits/drawbacks are here for us non-criminal types.
    Ok, you are falsely accused of a crime, you know you are not guilty, your attorney says, don't sweat you'll be acquitted. Then someone lies on the stand and lo and behold you are found guilty. Still have your Constitutionally-protected arms? Instant criminal possession of arms violation (above and beyond the original sham conviction).
    Last edited by OC4me; 10-24-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is an important case, or what the benefits/drawbacks are here for us non-criminal types.
    Because the underlying issue is gov't seizing assets and claiming forfeiture?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned
    Eben if convicted of a felony, the gov't still should not take your guns.