• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's Solicitor General says 'Get rid of your guns if merely accused of a crime'

Mike

Site Co-Founder
The US Supreme Court just granted certiorari to a case in which President Obama's Solicitor General told the Supreme Court that "there was no need for the Supreme Court to hear the case, in part because Henderson could have sold the guns prior to his conviction," thus explicitly meaning that if you are accused of any major crime, you better sell your guns quick, or lose all chance at retaining your financial interest in the guns if you are convicted, even if your appeal is still pending.

Equally troubling was Obama's Solicitor General's statement that a person convicted of a major crime could not transfer his firearms to "his wife or a friend" because it would create "a significant risk" that he would still retain access to them. After all, a man's conviction does not cast a scarlet letter against gun ownership by his wife and friends. A person residing with another person who is prohibited from possessing firearms may still possess firearms provided she maintains sole control of the firearms by reasonable means, such as sole possession of the key to a gun safe, etc.

See http://www.vagazette.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-court-guns-20141020,0,4604756.story

SNIP

U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli, representing the government, said in court papers there was no need for the Supreme Court to hear the case, in part because Henderson could have sold the guns prior to his conviction.

Furthermore, Henderson's proposals would have put the guns in the hands of either his wife or a friend, which "created a significant risk" that he would still retain access to them, Verrilli wrote.

Maverick9

Better sell off all his kitchenware, cast iron skillets, car, tools, garden implements, rope, table legs, masonry, xswimming pools and bathrooms, and xplastic bags.

(x added to avoid skimming)

Last edited:

Batousaii

<Sigh>

I dont see the benefits of this case one way or the other. It should be more aligned with weather or not fellons have thier (gun) rights restored after being release - or - "Good enough to be among the citizens = Good enough to have your (Gun) rights". I really wish they'd put the time/energy in to more important firearm cases.

- Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is an important case, or what the benefits/drawbacks are here for us non-criminal types.

Last edited:

OC4me

- Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why this is an important case, or what the benefits/drawbacks are here for us non-criminal types.

Ok, you are falsely accused of a crime, you know you are not guilty, your attorney says, don't sweat you'll be acquitted. Then someone lies on the stand and lo and behold you are found guilty. Still have your Constitutionally-protected arms? Instant criminal possession of arms violation (above and beyond the original sham conviction).

Last edited: