• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9x25 Dillon

The Truth

Well guys, I'm already thinking ahead to my next pistol, and naturally I am reverting back to my 10mm dreams since they were put on hold to complete my .460 Rowland conversion.

For those who don't know about 9x25, it is a wildcat round made from a 10mm case necked down to take a 9mm bullet. Since I am going to be buying a 10mm anyway, if you haven't already figured out my love for white-hot loaded high energy/high velocity somewhat obscure rounds, going with a 9x25 Dillon conversion is a no-brainer for cool factor. It's arguable whether or not it has an advantage over 10mm. I personally don't know, but it sounds like a very interesting round. Interesting enough to warrant spending an extra $125 for an option at least. I'm still debating between going 9x25 or just getting an extended, ported 10mm barrel.

This round has been described as a .357 Sig on steroids. Ranging from 90 grain to 125 grain bullets, velocities range from 1,400 FPS-2,000 FPS (feet per second), with an average of about 800FPE (foot-pounds of energy). 125gr 9x25 will get you about 1,700 FPS/800 FPE. Hot 150 grain 10mm loads will achieve about 1,500 FPS/775 FPE, so not very much difference except bullet size and weight. Where the 9x25 excels is with a light bullet out of a 6" barrel - 95 grain controlled expansion JHP comes in at 1995 FPS/881 FPE out of a 6" Lone Wolf barrel. Wowzers!

Anyone have any experience with this cartridge?

2irm1vn.jpg

davidmcbeth

Banned
Want power?

Make a 50 BMG handgun ... now that's about up to 2800 ft/sec .... and plenty of energy ... I have seen people shoot homemade ones and it looks like the gun weighs about a ton (almost has to w/o a fore-grip). I've given some thought to making a 50 bmg but, in my case, wisely opted not to.

Or, more tame, and a better handgun fit, but still freaky 50 cal beowulf ... still considering making this one ... with my own loads.

Or the 50 cal S&W monster .. and it is a monster too .. I've shot one and would not want to shoot one again (I cut off my thumb a few years back and its not up to holding this gun due to slight nerve damage; I did not shoot their "reduced recoil" ammo but would not want to either).

The Dillon seems to be rather manageable ....

But lets face it ... you're making the Dillon ... have fun !

Last edited:

Marco

This round has been described as a .357 Sig on steroids. Ranging from 90 grain to 125 grain bullets, velocities range from 1,400 FPS-2,000 FPS (feet per second), with an average of about 800FPE (foot-pounds of energy). 125gr 9x25 will get you about 1,700 FPS/800 FPE. Hot 150 grain 10mm loads will achieve about 1,500 FPS/775 FPE, so not very much difference except bullet size and weight. Where the 9x25 excels is with a light bullet out of a 6" barrel

I'm a huge 10mm fan, have been since 1990.

Question why not just get a Coonan?

attachment.php

CoonanWebSplash.jpg

Last edited:

The Truth

That's a badass pistol, Marco! I can get a G20 for ~$545 and a 9x25 barrel for $125 though. Granted it's a Glock, but I dunno, I feel like I should probably own a Glock, and the G20 is so versatile it's kind of a must-have. My second choice remains a S&W 1026/1006, but I think that Coonan is a sharp pistol.

AHH I love pistols!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Truth,

What's the obsession with these "exotic" calibers? You DO realize it just makes it easier for "the authorities" to track you down as they find evidence of what you're shooting at the scene of the "incident."

I mean, imagine someone using a .32 Colt Police Positive TODAY...it'd be pretty unusual, and even if not exotic or powerful like your larger calibers, it'd still be a clear "signature" for "the authorities," yes? I mean, who shoots a .32 S&W Long nowadays?

Or is it just me concerned about cluing-in the cops?

;-)

-- Paul Kersey

Marco,

The Coonan .357 (as I mentioned a while back) is my backup gun -- to my .475 Wildey....but that's an awful lot (and heavy) to carry/conceal, so I'll likely be going back to my .32 Colt Police Positive. :)

-- PK

Attachments

• 76238comparison.jpg
    76238comparison.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,438
  • MdCLmZ9.jpg
    MdCLmZ9.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 21,700
Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Truth,

What's the obsession with these "exotic" calibers? You DO realize it just makes it easier for "the authorities" to track you down as they find evidence of what you're shooting at the scene of the "incident."

I mean, imagine someone using a .32 Colt Police Positive TODAY...it'd be pretty unusual, and even if not exotic or powerful like your larger calibers, it'd still be a clear "signature" for "the authorities," yes? I mean, who shoots a .32 S&W Long nowadays?

Or is it just me concerned about cluing-in the cops?

;-)

-- Paul Kersey

Marco,

The Coonan .357 (as I mentioned a while back) is my backup gun -- to my .475 Wildey....but that's an awful lot (and heavy) to carry/conceal, so I'll likely be going back to my .32 Colt Police Positive.

:)

A lot of people, 32 S&W would be the same diameter bullet as the 32 H&R, 327, 32-20, 7.62 nagant revolver. Unless there is distintive rifling without a cartridge I don't see where it would make a bit of difference.

As far as Truth the calibers he seeks the diameters are consistent with other common calibers.

WalkingWolf

Want power?

Make a 50 BMG handgun ... now that's about up to 2800 ft/sec .... and plenty of energy ... I have seen people shoot homemade ones and it looks like the gun weighs about a ton (almost has to w/o a fore-grip). I've given some thought to making a 50 bmg but, in my case, wisely opted not to.

Or, more tame, and a better handgun fit, but still freaky 50 cal beowulf ... still considering making this one ... with my own loads.

Or the 50 cal S&W monster .. and it is a monster too .. I've shot one and would not want to shoot one again (I cut off my thumb a few years back and its not up to holding this gun due to slight nerve damage; I did not shoot their "reduced recoil" ammo but would not want to either).

The Dillon seems to be rather manageable ....

But lets face it ... you're making the Dillon ... have fun !

This thread is about the 9X25, not the 50 BMG. Please try to stay on topic, and on focus...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"A lot of people,..." -- WW

No, they don't. One should contextually conclude I was talking about Public/Community Service Occupations out there on the street. TMK, no one else uses/has used the .32 SW Long. And that was then (1974).

Nothing at all wrong with that caliber, just saying it'd be pretty much out of place today in that it's an unusual caliber nowadays, especially if used in active street-carry service. The 9mm is the common cartridge casing usually found @ crime scenes currently.

But really, all this is mere whimsy I'm sure...

Last edited:

Marco

Marco,

The Coonan .357 (as I mentioned a while back) is my backup gun -- to my .475 Wildey....but that's an awful lot (and heavy) to carry/conceal, so I'll likely be going back to my .32 Colt Police Positive.

:)

The beauty of OC, larger/ heavier firearms aren't an issue, but there is a limit to what one is willing to endure.
My grandfather CC'd (no other option) a 1903 colt 32acp for 50+yrs.

Now, to the other topic Cloudcroft started.
If one was truly trying to keep things under wraps, one might use a smaller dia. caliber that can be fired from a larger chamber, especially if the said firearm is a revolver.

Last edited:

The Truth

Well I dont plan on shooting and running, haha. If I shoot it'll be because I was not legally bound not to, so fleeing after shooting would be pointless. I get what you mean though, I just don't really see it being a concern. These exotic rounds are really for woods carry and playtime/long range/offense vs game/"I have something unique that not many people know exists"-factor. You should see my truck ;)

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"Now, to the other topic Cloudcroft started." -- Marco

Que?

Me?

No, Senior, imposible: No habla ingles

;-)

P.S. Nothing wrong with carrying smaller calibers, you just need to be more accurate in placing the bullets. On the days I can't carry my full-sized OC gun, I OC my smaller gun: A Beretta 3032 Tomcat (.32ACP). I just have to change my TACTICS with the smaller, less-powerful gun vs. the larger more powerful gun. I even used to carry a NAA Mini-Revolver (.22mag).

People forget that WHAT you carry is only HALF of the "self-defense equation" if you will: The OTHER half is TACTICS.

You need BOTH halves of the equation to make a "hole." ;-)

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

"Now, to the other topic Cloudcroft started." -- Marco

Que?

Me?

No, Senior, imposible: No habla ingles

;-)

P.S. Nothing wrong with carrying smaller calibers, you just need to be more accurate in placing the bullets. On the days I can't carry my full-sized OC gun, I OC my smaller gun: A Beretta 3032 Tomcat (.32ACP). I just have to change my TACTICS with the smaller, less-powerful gun vs. the larger more powerful gun. I even used to carry a NAA Mini-Revolver (.22mag).

People forget that WHAT you carry is only HALF of the "self-defense equation" if you will: The OTHER half is TACTICS.

You need BOTH halves of the equation to make a "hole." ;-)

Situational awareness and Good tactics well get you farther and keep you out of trouble a lot more the what you carry.

I say more like 90 to 10%.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
...I was just talking only about the gun/caliber carried and how it will be used (several considerations re: the latter), so in that "strict & limited" application, it's a 50-50 split...partly also to make it simple for people to remember the "Self-Defense Equation" as most carriers overlook (forget) tactics completely and only talk about the gun/caliber they carry. Consequently, for them the equation seems to be 100-0 rather than 50-50 (gun/caliber vs. tactics, respectively).

I want them to think about TACTICS also, hence the simple 50-50 S-D "formula" if you will. Even if 50% is not enough attention given to tactics (as in your view), at least it's 50% more attention than the 0% most carriers give it presently, so it'd be a 50% increase...IMO, that's a great improvement!

Situational Awareness (SA) for me is a "given" but also a separate issue, which I see more as an over-riding "umbrella" concept for ALL carriers. And so of course it applies to people CCing as well -- applies even to people NOT carrying who want to stay out of trouble, too. IMO, however, SA probably applies MORE (and to a higher level) to people OCing.

That's just my opinion (and what I myself follow out there on the streets) but I'm certainly no expert in these things. In fact, some experts say some of the things I do (guns/calibers I carry, how I carry them) are completely wrong, so what do I know. ;-)

But I think I AM right in trying to get people to give (at least) equal treatment & consideration to tactics...not just keep going on about the particular gun/caliber they carry -- however they carry (CC or OC).

Last edited: