• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carrying and its limits

scouser

Successfully, I seriously doubt. Do you have a cite?

A Home Owners Association (HOA) is by accepted definition a municipality in the state of Virginia, and as such is preempted from making rules/laws relative to guns by the Code of Virginia.
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

they might pass rules but that doesn't mean they are legal. And a "success" in passing rules just means that the rule-making body were able to get the votes in the committee to pass their rule,doesn't mean that the rule will have any weight if someone decides to ignore it, does it?

ETA .. Just wanted to add that if I wanted to know the answer to a real estate question in Virginia, Grapeshot WOULD be the first person on OCDO I would ask

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hello All,

I am hoping to get some clarification...

Here's the scenario: I enjoy drinking at my house on the weekends but I also have a small dog that needs to go outside to the bathroom frequently. In northern VA having your own yard is pretty rare so anytime she needs to go out, I am going to be in the common area of our complex. If I had my own private yard I wouldn't feel the need to carry but since I am going through some sketchy wooded areas to let her relieve herself, I am much more comfortable concealed carrying. Is it legal for me to concealed carry if I am under the influence? Right now I leave my firearm at home because I am not going to risk it, but I would like to know if I have the option. Just so everyone knows: if I plan on drinking I never carry my gun, the question is, if I am drinking is it illegal to carry? I don't care about going out to bars and carrying... I am more concerned that if I have had some drinks at my house and I need to take my dog out, can I carry?

Appreciate any information you may have.

Actually it is quite common. More so than not having your own yard.

Welcome aboard, we're pleased to have you with us. The responses you've received should have given you what you need to know for your questions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
they might pass rules but that doesn't mean they are legal. And a "success" in passing rules just means that the rule-making body were able to get the votes in the committee to pass their rule,doesn't mean that the rule will have any weight if someone decides to ignore it, does it?

ETA .. Just wanted to add that if I wanted to know the answer to a real estate question in Virginia, Grapeshot WOULD be the first person on OCDO I would ask
Appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm just a plugger with a lot of well worn mental Cliff Notes.

I think "success" means much more than that. The statute cited allows for potential recovery of legal expenses, BUT has no real teeth = punitive damages.......and it basically leaves the decision up to a judge AFTER someone has been arrested/charged, spent time and money to right a wrong.

Even if never challenged or used, such rules have a chilling effect on exercising our RKBA.