• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio and Military CCW under 21.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I agree. However, on the slim chance that this goes anywhere, it is a step in the correct direction.

Oh, yes, I definitely agree and wish this the best. It's kind of sad that we can't just use common sense with lawmakers but have to sneak in more and more rights a little at a time.

Sigger

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
First - thank you for your service!
I have signed the petition. Despite the pushback you are getting here, you do not need a reason to carry a gun.
As far as maturity goes, age is not a quantitative measure of maturity. Age is a quantitative measure of how long a person has been alive. I have a teenage son who shows more maturity than 2A supporters that I've encountered at pro-2A events. He's a durn good shot too. As a military brat, I think that successful completion of military training is an excellent qualitative measure of maturity, far better than age. Of course there will be exceptions on both sides of that debate, so I have to lean in favor of supporting one's God-given right to self-defense.

Brian D.

That is indeed the biggest hurdle - and although there are exceptions for law enforcement and military, the exceptions are incomplete - that is, I think there is an exception to allow them to purchase but no one is allowed to sell it to them - or vice versa...

Yes you had it right. Few years ago our Ohio legislators created that legal 'cut out' so that LE and military could buy a handgun at 18 instead of 21. But, they didn't change the part of the law that stopped pretty much everybody from legally PROVIDING said firearm. At least while the recipient is inside Ohio's borders.

That came in spite of watchdog groups such as OFCC and BFA telling the legislature just how stupid and impractical that half-assed move was.

11bMike

First - thank you for your service!
I have signed the petition. Despite the pushback you are getting here, you do not need a reason to carry a gun.
As far as maturity goes, age is not a quantitative measure of maturity. Age is a quantitative measure of how long a person has been alive. I have a teenage son who shows more maturity than 2A supporters that I've encountered at pro-2A events. He's a durn good shot too. As a military brat, I think that successful completion of military training is an excellent qualitative measure of maturity, far better than age. Of course there will be exceptions on both sides of that debate, so I have to lean in favor of supporting one's God-given right to self-defense.

Thank you for your signature. Every voice makes a huge impact.

11bMike

586 views yet only one signature. Do people really disagree with this topic that much? Surely people can't honestly think 21 is an appropriate age for concealed carry. Do people treat it as some kind of exclusive club? Honestly, I can't comprehend that.

solus

mike, interesting to note, justashooter has previously posted you can in the Buckeye state OC at this point and time.

what's really funny is apparently after jumping up and down apparently even heffalump didn't sign your petition...that is simply outrageous...

well i haven't heard from the honorable Senator Burke yet but being an election period not sure i will until later in the month...

and it is after all an OPEN CARRY forum...

ipse

11bMike

mike, interesting to note, justashooter has previously posted you can in the Buckeye state OC at this point and time.

what's really funny is apparently after jumping up and down apparently even heffalump didn't sign your petition...that is simply outrageous...

well i haven't heard from the honorable Senator Burke yet but being an election period not sure i will until later in the month...

and it is after all an OPEN CARRY forum...

ipse

I'm very well aware I can open carry in my state. I'm aware of the laws in my own state. I cannot buy a handgun from a FFL dealer, and private sellers don't tend to sell to people under 21 for their own personal reasons. Not to mention open carrying is just something that I don't prefer.

Frankly, I don't know what your problem is either. I try very hard not to be rude to people but you come here just to get your rocks off by attempting to troll a 19 year old in a state that isn't even relevant to you. I don't know which side of that is more sad. Are you some kind of old timer stuck in his ways that only the magical age of 21 is permitted to CONCEAL a handgun? Or did you just keep pushing to get this reaction from me so you can scream "hurr look he got all mad! He can't carry a handgun!". If you're not going to contribute at all then please go practice your first amendment right somewhere else.

Also, I didn't list which senator it was originally because I didn't want people to email him over and over (the point of the petition). Not only does mass emailing him look unprofessional (especially when he already agrees with the issue) but it is probably very annoying to him.

solus

I'm very well aware I can open carry in my state. I'm aware of the laws in my own state. I cannot buy a handgun from a FFL dealer, and private sellers don't tend to sell to people under 21 for their own personal reasons. Not to mention open carrying is just something that I don't prefer.

Frankly, I don't know what your problem is either. I try very hard not to be rude to people but you come here just to get your rocks off by attempting to troll a 19 year old in a state that isn't even relevant to you. I don't know which side of that is more sad. Are you some kind of old timer stuck in his ways that only the magical age of 21 is permitted to CONCEAL a handgun? Or did you just keep pushing to get this reaction from me so you can scream "hurr look he got all mad! He can't carry a handgun!". If you're not going to contribute at all then please go practice your first amendment right somewhere else.

Also, I didn't list which senator it was originally because I didn't want people to email him over and over (the point of the petition). Not only does mass emailing him look unprofessional (especially when he already agrees with the issue) but it is probably very annoying to him.

if you 'prefer' to not wish to OC, again my question is relative? sorry, after your extensive military firearm training, your caregiver(s) won't purchase such an upstanding young adult a firearm for them to carry for personal protection?

as for contribution(s) to your query, you might find it interesting that if you look, you have only gotten justashooter, NE Ohio, oh and and heffalump who only responded to engage me and everyone else was from out of state commenting? by the way, how many signed your petition again, oh yes, one!

i at least contacted the Senator on your cause...why do you think the senator's aide told you to submit a petition...(hint look up W.C Fields diner skit) i am truly sorry if you are projecting that you honestly believe email to an aide is "unprofessional and annoying" to a sitting Ohio senator...any attention from their constituency gets their attention...especially if there is a gaggle of emails from gaggles of JQP.

finally, mike, you have already posted enough (6, 34,& 36), on your own volition, truly without any provocation from me to show yourself and to be honest if you look, i got engaged by and directed my responses with heffalump not you so not sure what the tirade from you is about.

and it is a federal provision not an unique state restriction to sell to <21 yos.

ipse

Last edited:

solus

if you 'prefer' to not wish to OC, again my question is relative? sorry, after your extensive military firearm training, your caregiver(s) won't purchase such an upstanding young adult a firearm for them to carry for personal protection?

You don't seem to understand that his "caregivers" would be in violation of Ohio law if they bought him a handgun, do you? It is ILLEGAL TO FURNISH AN UNDER 21 YEAR OLD WITH A HANDGUN IN THE STATE OF OHIO.
There are VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS to this

So he can't OC because he can't legally purcahse a handgun.

He can't visit another state, purchase a handgun there and then return because he would STILL be violating Ohio law. (Ohio law states that it must be sold between two residents of a state who allows it before that individual comes to Ohio)

He has virtually no way to legal obtain a handgun until he turns 21.

Cite please? Because private sellers can sell handguns to 18 year old per federal law, FFLs must sell to 21, except in Ohio where they have to be 21 to sell them a handgun.

I said I wouldn't respond to you but you keep telling him he can do things he can't do.

see mike, as you can clearly see i have been engaged with hareuhal this entire thread who has the audacity to ask me for a cite yet consistently fails to provide anything for the hyperbole they sling...even tho required by forum guidance.

and by the way you misread your source...when you are finished let us know, then i will provide you the proper cite out of the Ohio revised code not off some half baked internet source! ...i am not doing your work for you heffalump...i found it quite easily.

btw, mike a PM has been provided to you with the appropriate cite for discussion if you feel it is not appropriate.

and 1234 excellent thought and WA is lovely this time of the year...

i believe you should have listened to your inner voice haul as you apparently do not have a clue...

ipse

willy1094

I have always thought anyone that is old enough to go to war should be old enough to drink and carry (separately from each other of course). Do I think that they are automatically mature enough to do so, not at all. However, I know men and women well beyond the age of 21 that are not mature enough to make those decisions. My opinion is service to your country should afford you that extra trust to act appropriately.

Op, you have made a mistake by seeking support for CC on an OC forum (although, we should be fighting to make advancements for ANY method of carry). There are many other forums (I'll pm you) that push the CC method over OC where you would probably get a lot more support for your petition. The only question I have is this: If you cannot get a gun to OC then how will you obtain one for CC? Perhaps that is part of your proposal and I missed it.

Good Luck