• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two more "starts" of Sons of Guns TV show arrested !

Grim_Night

"Sons of Guns" stars Stephanie Hayden and Kris Ford were arrested Friday in Louisiana ... for allegedly hitting a 9-year-old boy with a belt so hard he bruised.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/24/sons-...is-ford-arrested-cruelty-child/#ixzz3HHriAZw5

Warning: it looks like the girl is wearing a Halloween costume ... ah!

I'm sorry, but if you are going to quote the story, actually quote the important details.

Parish of Livingston officials tell us Kris abused Stephanie's son from another relationship last month ... by striking the kid on his lower buttocks area.

Stephanie was also taken into custody ... because her son told cops she was present in the room. She's not being accused of hitting her kid.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/24/sons-...is-ford-arrested-cruelty-child/#ixzz3HI3PiE7K

HE was arrested for hitting HER son with a belt. An act that use to be perfectly acceptable regarding the punishment of children but now is no longer acceptable because of bleeding heart government agents. SHE was arrested because HER son said she was in the room during the spanking. -_-

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sorry, but if you are going to quote the story, actually quote the important details.

HE was arrested for hitting HER son with a belt. An act that use to be perfectly acceptable regarding the punishment of children but now is no longer acceptable because of bleeding heart government agents. SHE was arrested because HER son said she was in the room during the spanking. -_-

Soon everyone will be arrested for spanking .. your neighbor, your cousin, your 2nd cousin's roommate !

Jack House

Perhaps people just need to learn how to reprimand children without resorting to violence. :rolleyes:

georg jetson

Jeeeeezzzzz... schools full of undisciplined disrespectful bratty kids making it difficult for teachers to do their jobs and we're arresting the parents who discipline properly. America, home of the brat.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Having spent about 15 years as an employee of a particular (and large) Texas Public Zoo (I mean School) District, I have to agree with you. Could write a book on the subject...

Teachers have it lots tougher nowadays due to many more (and serious) discipline problems then there used to be, drugs and guns in the schools (yes, the "Drug Free School" banners at many schools are pure ignorance on the part of the Admin-- just ask the kids), gangs in the schools, interfering so-called "parents," and an Admin that never backs teachers up when there's trouble. They just get thrown to the wolves and another teacher is hired...and soon ALSO to be disillusioned when reality sinks in. No wonder there is such a HIGH turnover in "education."

I miss TEACHING, but sure don't miss all that other crap teachers (unnecessarily) have to deal with. And although I was sad to get out of the "profession," my health (no more stress) was all the better for doing so.

America has plenty of problems...Public Education is one of the major ones. Yes, it's solvable, but the "experts" -- usually naïve & clueless Ph.Ds. -- think more MONEY is the main solution. Or maybe more "creative" ways of teaching, or maybe BETTER teachers.

Not even close...

georg jetson

Indeed, I have close friends that are grammer school teachers. I hear about it alot. Instead of reinforcing parents' right and responsibility to properly discipline their children, schools have been turned into "policing the parents".

The government creates the problem by interfering with parental control and then sells its solution by inserting its own control.

Btw- several of the teachers I know are pursuing other professions because... "you just cant teach anymore".

scooter348

Having spent about 15 years as an employee of a particular (and large) Texas Public Zoo (I mean School) District, I have to agree with you. Could write a book on the subject...

Teachers have it lots tougher nowadays due to many more (and serious) discipline problems then there used to be, drugs and guns in the schools (yes, the "Drug Free School" banners at many schools are pure ignorance on the part of the Admin-- just ask the kids), gangs in the schools, interfering so-called "parents," and an Admin that never backs teachers up when there's trouble. They just get thrown to the wolves and another teacher is hired...and soon ALSO to be disillusioned when reality sinks in. No wonder there is such a HIGH turnover in "education."

I miss TEACHING, but sure don't miss all that other crap teachers (unnecessarily) have to deal with. And although I was sad to get out of the "profession," my health (no more stress) was all the better for doing so.

America has plenty of problems...Public Education is one of the major ones. Yes, it's solvable, but the "experts" -- usually naïve & clueless Ph.Ds. -- think more MONEY is the main solution. Or maybe more "creative" ways of teaching, or maybe BETTER teachers.

Not even close...

A someone who is married to a teacher, I couldn't agree with you more. Because I am concerned for her stress level and health, I wish she could find a new profession, but our wallets would take too much of a hit while she got back on her feet. However, you have summed it up nicely. Kudos to you and good luck in your new career.

georg jetson

I don't see unfurling the troll banner for that. There is considerable evidence that corporal punishment is counter productive.

Counter productive to what? Raising children that mis-behave?

There is considerable evidence that not using corporal punishment leads directly to disrespectful, selfish children. I guess it's a matter of what you would consider a properly disciplined child. Many these days think it's ok for children to back-talk their parents, or any adult for that matter. I don't.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

There is considerable evidence that not using corporal punishment leads directly to disrespectful, selfish children. I guess it's a matter of what you would consider a properly disciplined child. Many these days think it's ok for children to back-talk their parents, or any adult for that matter. I don't.
+1

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Despite the correlation of the decline of corporal punishment (acceptability) with societal/cultural performance? Prison population as metric or proxy, for example. Or income disparity.

Absolutely.

Prison population is an abysmal "metric or proxy" for societal performance – especially when you watch crime rates decrease while prison population continues to increase apace. (But that's what happens when you imprison people for non-crimes.)

Income disparity? The connection to corporal punishment is beyond tenuous. Inflation, income tax (not to mention sales tax, gas tax, etc...), a regulatory environment which favors and incentives large over small businesses (and which tends to result in reduced wages for those farther down the employment ladder) are far more direct and plausible causes.

Finally, correlation does not imply causation. Worse, social statistics are nearly universally worthless.

Anecdotes aren't worth much more, but I can share my experience: I was spanked occasionally as a child. I remember being spanked, but I don't remember a single misdeed attached to any of these instances of "remediation". On the other hand, I can recall specific memories of my parents showing me good behavior by example, and explaining morality to me in a simple, effective (i.e. not dependent on religion or superstition) manner.

From this analysis I've concluded that corporal punishment is next to useless. It may result in an immediate and temporary cessation of annoying behavior, but it's virtually impossible to teach a person through violence.

I suspect this strongly enough that I'm quite comfortable stating that any person who reacts in the intended fashion to corporal punishment is born to be subservient, and that subservience is therefore the only behavior corporal punishment can actually "teach" (reinforce, really). So, I might correlate the use of corporal punishment with the rise of statism in the 20th century.

Of course absentee and apathetic parents are likely to raise their children poorly. But it's contrary to reason (and my experience) to assume that corporal punishment is the sine non qua of engaged, effective parenting.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't see unfurling the troll banner for that. There is considerable evidence that corporal punishment is counter productive.

Don't shoot the messenger. I raised my two with 50/50 results...and no I didn't say which method I favor or why.

I think that outside the family influences have a greater impact. Being a good parent helps, being a lucky one does too.

solus

you may blame activist Dr. Benjamin Spock's child rearing philosophical BS tomes combined with the counterculture of the '60s for the current state of affairs with the social status of everyone watching your child rearing efforts.

Further, the youngsters themselves know how to and do play the game w/child protective services/LE etc., and not thinking twice or about the consequences of throwing their caregivers under the moving bus when they feel slighted in any way.

additionally, as has been proven in several of the child sexual abuse cases, memory implants into the child's mind by 'innocent' but over zealous investigators shows how some will pursue this to advance their careers.

Educators are in the most precarious spot between the rock and the hard spot of mandatory reporting if the child accuses the parents of corporal punishment events. We all know youngsters who would benefit from a swat on the behind to get their attention, yet we fail to do so because society's watchdogs would pounce on us in a heartbeat based on their perception it is abuse.

please do not construe my comments as advocating physical abuse from a parent in an emotional frenzy who is beating their child senseless or using using hot car track on a youngster.

however, these are the stats the 'PhD' researcher(s) use in their studies for their empirical data to support their claims. unfortunately, like those who propagate anti vaccination or firearm or any other type of sensationalized rhetoric, the uneducated public believes and sheepishly follows believing the researcher's word as if it handed down from the Mount by charlton heston!

ipse

georg jetson

Don't shoot the messenger. I raised my two with 50/50 results...and no I didn't say which method I favor or why.

I think that outside the family influences have a greater impact. Being a good parent helps, being a lucky one does too.

Lol!!! Sidearm remains properly holstered.

I wouldn't make the claim that corporal punishment is the only aspect of properly raised children. It's an important part of an overall strategy.