• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A hilarious "response" to the MPHS shooting

mikeyb

From some Facebook page:
I am a Child Psychologist, and know that children who start killing innocent animals early in life, thanks to their hunter parents, will later go on killing other living creatures, including people, very easily, without remorse or guilt. Killing becomes very natural to them, very sad.

Man, I better watch out for Bill Dance. That guy's been brewing for decades...

I can't believe the asshattery of that statement.

Black_water

We have seen similar paradigm shifts in other "scientific" communities over the years. I would not be surprised if the quoted person has those credentials and actually believes the statement. In fact, it makes perfect sense when you consider that similar tactics are used for other causes. If you want to end hunting, connect it to serial killing. It doesn't really matter if the connection is factual or not.

Maverick9

Note he says 'killed', he doesn't say with what. So what if the parents were aborigines and killed a deer with a spear?

Arguably, I'd say an urban kid that systematically killed kittens that didn't belong to them with a hammer is more troublesome than one who lived on a farm and drowned some kittens when his parents told him to.

-----
I've never killed ANYTHING with a firearm, and I didn't own a sidearm until I was about 4 decades older and gee, I still haven't killed anything with it.

Now, BB guns and frogs, well, that still kind of upsets me, but 10 year olds will be kids.

AND, I might add if his thesis were true in any way, there'd be a LOT MORE psychopathic killers, I mean literally billions of them. Numbnuts.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Unless I am misremembering my Abnormal Psychology classes, the concern was not about children that killed animals. Those kids were clearly whacko and could be dealt with easily and appropriately.

It was the kids that tore the wings off flies (especially those that tore off only one wing), who burned just the legs or antennae of insects with a magnifying glass, removed the tail or pectoral fins of fish and returned them to the aquarium, and who did all sorts of disabling/disfiguring stuff to both dolls and small vertebrate pets that were cataloged as "giving everybody the heebie-jeebies" about what they might grow up to do.

stay safe.

Maverick9

I don't it's 'torturing insects'. I don't know any kid who hasn't burned bugs with a magnifying glass at least back in the day.

It's the systematic torturing of higher animals, pets, especially pets not their own.

Fish, insects, amphibians, birds, reptiles, BB guns, magnifying glass, normal.

Setting the neighbor's cats on fire because she hollered at them - abnormal, especially if no remorse shown.

But yeah, where do you draw the line. Maybe if they don't 'grow out of it' by a certain age?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Who amongst us would not still kill a cockroach?

With winter coming, do you plan and live trapping and relocating field mice?

How would you conrol termites?

Being at the top of the food chain includes certain benefits, me thinks.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Wow! There's a child psych who over extrapolated. Also one of the types who caused me to change careers and leave psychology because the stupid started to burn.

WalkingWolf

Odd the generation that grew up with guns and hunting had far less school shootings than the generation of today...

IMO the downward spiral of young peoples morals has nothing to do with hunting.

The Truth

Where do people think a lot of COPS and Conservation Officers come from? They come from an upbringing surrounded by the outdoors and gun ownership, and from hunting, safety, and respect for nature and the rule of law. It's paramount that we hunters continue to take our kids hunting and continue to teach safety and conservation. Harvesting game is a part of life, and does not equal "senselessly killing animals." HUGE difference.