Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-baseball star Jose Canseco accidentally shoots himself in the hand cleaning gun

Ex-baseball star Jose Canseco accidentally shoots himself in the hand cleaning gun

the former Oakland Athletics outfielder told police he was cleaning his gun in the kitchen when it fired, shooting a finger on his left hand. He was taken to University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...his-left-hand/

GLOCK?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    the former Oakland Athletics outfielder told police he was cleaning his gun in the kitchen when it fired, shooting a finger on his left hand. He was taken to University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.

GLOCK?
    Have never seen a Glock do stupid, unsafe things on it's own.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have never seen a Glock do stupid, unsafe things on it's own.
    what he said ^^^

All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon. Clearing the chamber applies to every gun whether it's a glock, 1911, AR or bolt action.

It's because the glock is black isnt it?

Reports say he actually blew his finger off.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...Ou8k?ocid=iehp
    Fair-use excerpt:
    According to TMZ Sports, Canseco blew the middle finger off his hand. Canseco's fiancee told TMZ Sports he was sitting at a table in their home cleaning the gun when it went off, apparently not knowing the gun was loaded.
    1) Must have had the muzzle pointed at something that he did not desire a hole in; i.e., his finger.

2) Must have had his finger on the trigger at a time when the muzzle was pointed at something he did not desire a hole in.

Glock, seecamp, 1911, zip gun, etc, is irrelevant.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Hmm, millionaire with a big house and he cleans a gun on a kitchen table? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    [ ... ]All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon.
    [ ... ]
    Not SA1911A1, not H&K USPc and not Luger.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I was taught (without citation) in Armorers class. That this take down ND (negligent discharge) is common, and was a large factor in the development of the XDm. Functionality wise, they are the same outside of the ability to take down the weapon without pulling the trigger, additionally, another "safety" was engineered on the trigger of the "m" extending the pull, and weight. Myself I will stick with the original version. Chamber check and Mag check religiously.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Chamber check and Mag check religiously.
    Design really doesn't matter. If you're too irresponsible to check the magwell and chamber before you pull the trigger, you deserve the Darwin award you're sure to receive. /repeating myself
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Maybe Canseco is the kind of guy that tries to hold a blender blade from moving when you turn it on.

Now he is retired from beisboll, he finally had time to buy a pistol and wanted to see if you stuck your finger in the muzzle and pulled the trigger, could you keep the bullet in the chamber....
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

I was taught (without citation) in Armorers class. That this take down ND (negligent discharge) is common, and was a large factor in the development of the XDm. Functionality wise, they are the same outside of the ability to take down the weapon without pulling the trigger, additionally, another "safety" was engineered on the trigger of the "m" extending the pull, and weight. Myself I will stick with the original version. Chamber check and Mag check religiously.
    I am confused. If we are talking about the Glock what part of the design encourages the owner not to safely empty the chamber first?
    Last edited by 28kfps; 10-30-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Maybe Canseco is the kind of guy that tries to hold a blender blade from moving when you turn it on.

Now he is retired from beisboll, he finally had time to buy a pistol and wanted to see if you stuck your finger in the muzzle and pulled the trigger, could you keep the bullet in the chamber....
    Never unstop a jambed garbage disposal w/o removing the fuse and testing the off function with the switch first.

You can cause a 1911 to not fire by pushing the slide out of battery, to the rear slightly...but not something I will test with any body parts in front of the muzzle.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I seem to recall he had pled guilty to a felony at some point. Am I mistaken?

All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon.
    Well, that's not true. A 1911 actually is easier to field/detail strip with the hammer cocked.

I only vaguely remember hearing about rape allegations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...vegas/2351631/

All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon. Clearing the chamber applies to every gun whether it's a glock, 1911, AR or bolt action.

It's because the glock is black isnt it?
    And also because it has large-capacity, high-caliber assault grips with extended clips that allow the to spray bullets in theaters.

It's easier to remove the slide release on a 1911 if you first cock the hammer before moving the slide back (also helps to remove the recoil plug).
    Marshaul has correctly pointed out the part about detail stripping: the hammer MUST be cocked back to remove the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Well, that's not true. A 1911 actually is easier to field/detail strip with the hammer cocked.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 10-30-2014 at 04:10 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

GLOCK?
    if it was a Glock, there is a proper way to grip the frame and slide to manipulate the take-down release using only one hand.. I took a picture of my own to demonstrate. This is the one thing I really wish the manufacturer would emphasis. To the uninitiated it isn't obvious and most will put some portion of their hand or a finger over the muzzle to hold the slide in position, then squeeze the trigger to release the slide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1383[1].jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	12177  
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    I am confused. If we are talking about the Glock what part of the design encourages the owner not to safely empty the chamber first?
    Your question seems a touch leading, Were you looking for an answer?

Originally Posted by 28kfps

Your question seems a touch leading, Were you looking for an answer?
    Believe user 28fps was being somewhat sarcastic + just a rhetorical question/statement........yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Believe user 28fps was being somewhat sarcastic + just a rhetorical question/statement........yes?
    That thought crossed my mind as well, but I did not want to leave him hanging if he was asking for real.

I think it would be safe to assume sarcasm, since there's nothing to worry about if THE BREACH AND MAGWELL ARE CLEARED PROPERLY. That's steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. You can dry fire it all you want after that, with zero fear of shooting yourself.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon.
    Lately it's becoming more popular to disable that "feature" of modern polymer pistols. Ruger SR series, Baretta Nanos, Sig P320 all use those as selling points, for example.
    Last edited by Dario; 10-30-2014 at 06:50 PM.

...All guns have triggers that generally need to be depressed to disassemble and clean the weapon...
    Not only is it not "all," but most do not require pulling the trigger.

That said, I've never held that against the Glock design. I don't think it's a big deal at all. What is criminal is that BASIC firearms safety is not taught in public school and a NORMAL part of life.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Not SA1911A1, not H&K USPc and not Luger.
    And some can be broke down with just the flip of a lever, such as the Star Super. But all guns should be cleared before field stripping.

Glock is a safe gun in the hands of someone who is not an idiot. Problem is~~so many idiots own Glocks...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

When my dept went to Glocks, Glocks sent us an instructor to train us instructors on Glocks.

During Glock transition instructor training it was stressed on not putting your finger in front of the barrel during take down when pulling the trigger.

Also to visibly and manually to check the camber and point the gun in a safe direction when pulling the trigger.

I know my students got tired of hearing visibly , manually check the chamber and point it in a safe direction when you pull the trigger.

I have not proven it but what I think happens is that Glock finger shooters forget the chamber check then when they are in the process of holding the slide part way open with their finger in front of the barrel and it will not come off they remember to pull the trigger and bang. One less finger.

Luckily I only know of one person in my department to do that I glad I wasn't his instructor.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    When my dept went to Glocks, Glocks sent us an instructor to train us instructors on Glocks.

During Glock transition instructor training it was stressed on not putting your finger in front of the barrel during take down when pulling the trigger.

Also to visibly and manually to check the camber and point the gun in a safe direction when pulling the trigger.

I know my students got tired of hearing visibly , manually check the chamber and point it in a safe direction when you pull the trigger.

I have not proven it but what I think happens is that Glock finger shooters forget the chamber check then when they are in the process of holding the slide part way open with their finger in front of the barrel and it will not come off they remember to pull the trigger and bang. One less finger.

Luckily I only know of one person in my department to do that I glad I wasn't his instructor.
    By his student he was taught...............the wrong way, the hard way.

I had a premium guarantee when I was instructing for the department......shoot yourself or another officer and you WILL FAIL this course, no do-overs/recycles.....I will feed you to the dogs.

They got the full boat with a lot of repetition - the goal wasn't to be Sgt. Friendly, but Sgt. Thorough.

Banned
    Oddly enough, I READ the manuals from the manufacturer (except for the guns that I have made ~ many w/o any safeties at all--I don't like safeties on my guns, they are not "safeties" at all IMO but internal trigger locking mechanisms--not firing pin locks--with many guns, its not the trigger that strikes the primer)... they are written by the company as a whole and have usually been vetted of errors.

And oddly enough, I have never shot any part of my body off.

To folks who have shot themselves .. I would just say "you ought not have done that".

I hope Jose heals well.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 10-30-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast