Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on the most economical choice for a .22 caliber handgun

Looking for feedback on the most economical choice for a .22 caliber handgun

***This post is not necessarily a CC/OC question persay***

I am in the market (looking for feedback/suggestions) for the purchase of a .22 Caliber handgun. This .22 would be used almost exclusively as a "range-only" firearm. Thus far the major discourse seems to be nearly exclusively oriented toward two models: the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22. I have read countless articles comparing and contrasting both. (I am not set on only these two models as viable options) I want your feedback as a community with vast more experience than I have. I have been exposed to firearms most my life but predominately in the Military/Leo community. (I own and carry a Kahr cw9) but would like to expand to a cheaper means of "plinking".

Stay alert, stay alive!

-Turn_key21

Walther

I have two sr22's. They eat everything I have thrown at them.

I am quite fond of Ruger mk 2's (and 3s if you want a factory threaded barrel) if I had it to do over again, I would buy another mk. Disassembly is something of a pain, but totally doable.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Ruger has a recent trend of messing up an other-wise good sidearm.

They had to re-issue the LC9 due to all the complaints.

They often use plastic triggers

They often have a magazine disconnect safety (lots of YT on how to remove them)

They often have a safety (or decocker) which flips the Wrong Way. A 1911 safety thumbs down to fire on draw. I -believe- the Ruger has a safety that has to be flipped up (thumbnail?) to be fireable.

So while you can deal with those in a range gun, why are they building such bad features.

Like the threaded barrel, but who bothers to get a silencer for a .22? Just shoot CB caps

Many complaints of frequent cleaning needed because of build up which causes FTF, FTE. Some people get lucky.

Now, I wouldn't throw it away if it was a freebie, but like I said Walther.

Banned
    Absolutely hated the P-22.

For just pure fun: The Ruger Single 10 or just about any another quality 22

For plinking, hunting: Ruger Single 10, Buckmark

For plinking, hunting & teaching others: Browning Buckmark, SP101 4",

For plinking, teaching others and maybe as a BUG: LCR, SP101, Bersa

For a hideout I'd go with a NAA mini revolver

If you shoot a Sig, Glock or a 1911 might consider a conversion kit
    Last edited by Marco; 10-29-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Like the threaded barrel, but who bothers to get a silencer for a .22? Just shoot CB caps
    Suppressors for 22's are very popular.
    CB caps won't cycle many semi autos.

Standard velocity is needed for many/most semi autos to work.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Lots of fine choices out there so this is just a short list, in no particular order, to consider;

• Browning Buckmark (multiple configurations)
    • Ruger Mark III 22/45 (multiple configurations)
    • Smith and Wesson M&P 22
    • Ruger Single Six convertible revolver (multiple configurations)

Hope this helps.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

The most economic choice for .22 caliber handgun is clearly the C93.

Last edited by The Truth; 10-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    The most economic choice for .22 caliber handgun is clearly the C93.

Holster for that?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

IIRC Walther has a zamak slide, and Ruger uses a aluminum alloy slide.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

It seems like the Walthers have had a slightly higher rate of failure because of what WW said about the slide. Also several Walther enthusiasts believe that the P-22 and the PK-380 are manufactured by Umarex directly in their Koeln plant as the proof marks are Koeln and not Ulm where Walther's factory is. Granted Walther is an Umarex company, but Umarex is more known for their airsoft toys.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...de-umarex.html

The main point of failure on the SR-22 is the plastic take down lever. Initially, they were breaking after several rounds. That pretty much makes the gun unusable. Lately, that seems to have slowed a bit.

I personally have the SR-22. I was in the market a few years ago and after checking out the P-22 and the SR-22, I ended up with the SR-22. That MIM zinc slide on the P-22 did not give me a warm fuzzy, but that also doesn't really mean it WILL break. Anything will break with abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Holster for that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c93holster.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	12178
    Last edited by The Truth; 10-30-2014 at 02:13 PM.

if it's just a range/plinking gun...try the phoenix hp22a. I picked one up at a gun show for $125 out the door. It's been a fun little shooter so far. Pros: cheap!; magazines are cheap ($8-10); fun to shoot; life-time warranty; can change out to a 5" barrel. Cons: it's heavy as hell for a 22lr; not gonna win any beauty contests; 7 million safeties on it.

P-22s kinda suck, and Rugers are overrated and have poor ergonomics.

Buckmark FTW.

In the standard semi auto I would look at the Ruger SR22 or the Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact. Love both. In a target gun maybe the Browning Buck Mark or Ruger 22/45 or Mark III. There are lots of other fun .22 firearms out there. Enjoy them all!
    sent from my Lumia Icon Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c93holster.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	12178
    Do not like - no trigger protection + see sitting down as nearly impossible. What we look for is promoting and defending the right to open carry as we go about our everyday lives. Who is going to carry a rig that as their EDC?

My question regarding holster? was intended to get others to see the problem fitting our standard(s).
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I think he was yanking yer leg GS...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Of that I have no doubt, but we are not in a private conversation, so I gave it a straight answer.

Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

I owned 4 22 semi auto 22 pistols a colt woodsman, ruger MK I standard browning buck mark and a jennings J22. the woods man is a classic but the safety plate cracked on it and I sold it in a weak moment. The MK I I put 50000 plus rounds through it my son has it now and it is still going strong.

The buck mark is ok but the top strap on mine keeps coming loose and one needs to tighten it every couple hundreds of rounds. if it didn't have that problem it be a much better pistol I have put about 10000 rounds through it. the jennings has one purpose that is to shoot trapped critters or those caught by the hounds. It is carried with 5 in the mag and a empty chamber for that purpose it works.

If I were going to buy a pistol now i would find a use Ruger MK I or II target.
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 10-30-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

My personal reason for not liking the Ruger SR-22 is the safety manipulation which is completely backward from normal frame-mounted safeties. But if it's the only frame-mounted safety you will ever need to worry about, then this isn't a big issue.

The Mark II/III series is a much better pistol, even the ugly 22/45. My Mark II is in a tie for my most accurate .22 pistol (tied with my Kimber 1911). The Browning Buckmark and S&W series (422, etc) have an equal reputation.

I do also own a Walther P22. It has a slide-mounted safety that works the same way as other slide-mounted safeties. It does not decock but you can pull the trigger to drop the hammer after applying the safety. It works great with the ammo that it likes, and this can vary between guns, from what I hear. It works well with my suppressor.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-31-2014 at 12:49 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The SR22 safety is actually a hammer drop. The Ruger is DA/SA like many early semi autos with a hammer drop. The P22 "safety" also flips opposite of a 1911, same direction as the SR22, but I don't believe it drops the hammer. Though the hammer can be lowered with it on. The Mark series must or should be carried with the safety on, it is not necessary with the SR22.

There are a lot of choices on 22's depending on what the purpose of use is. The Ruger Mark series are a tad cumbersome for conceal carry, both the SR22 and the P22 are about the same size and could be concealed. If no conceal carry then the choices are wide open.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Looking for feedback on the most economical choice for a .22 caliber handgun

Ok - based on "economical" choice mentioned in the title- a phoenix arms 22 May be a option. Inexpensive as the base model can be had for around $110, 10+1 with almost too many safeties IMHO. But for a newer shooter that maybe a good thing. One can be had with the upgrade kit (two barrels 3 & 5 inches) two mags, one with pinky rest, cleaning kit, life time warranty, all for well under $200 in gun broker auctions. These are heavier pistols so for recoil sensitive shooters, they offer little felt recoil. My sister in law has one and shoots well with it.
    http://buckshotonline.com/Phoenix-Ar...22DLXRANGE.htm

https://phoenix-arms.com/Products/HP22A_Deluxe.html
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 10-31-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Links
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast