• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for feedback on the most economical choice for a .22 caliber handgun

turn_key21

***This post is not necessarily a CC/OC question persay***

I am in the market (looking for feedback/suggestions) for the purchase of a .22 Caliber handgun. This .22 would be used almost exclusively as a "range-only" firearm. Thus far the major discourse seems to be nearly exclusively oriented toward two models: the Ruger SR22 and the Walther P22. I have read countless articles comparing and contrasting both. (I am not set on only these two models as viable options) I want your feedback as a community with vast more experience than I have. I have been exposed to firearms most my life but predominately in the Military/Leo community. (I own and carry a Kahr cw9) but would like to expand to a cheaper means of "plinking".

Stay alert, stay alive!

-Turn_key21

Michigander

I am quite fond of Ruger mk 2's (and 3s if you want a factory threaded barrel) if I had it to do over again, I would buy another mk. Disassembly is something of a pain, but totally doable.

Maverick9

Ruger has a recent trend of messing up an other-wise good sidearm.

They had to re-issue the LC9 due to all the complaints.

They often use plastic triggers

They often have a magazine disconnect safety (lots of YT on how to remove them)

They often have a safety (or decocker) which flips the Wrong Way. A 1911 safety thumbs down to fire on draw. I -believe- the Ruger has a safety that has to be flipped up (thumbnail?) to be fireable.

So while you can deal with those in a range gun, why are they building such bad features.

Like the threaded barrel, but who bothers to get a silencer for a .22? Just shoot CB caps

Many complaints of frequent cleaning needed because of build up which causes FTF, FTE. Some people get lucky.

Now, I wouldn't throw it away if it was a freebie, but like I said Walther.

Marco

For just pure fun: The Ruger Single 10 or just about any another quality 22

For plinking, hunting: Ruger Single 10, Buckmark

For plinking, hunting & teaching others: Browning Buckmark, SP101 4",

For plinking, teaching others and maybe as a BUG: LCR, SP101, Bersa

For a hideout I'd go with a NAA mini revolver

If you shoot a Sig, Glock or a 1911 might consider a conversion kit

Last edited:

Marco

Like the threaded barrel, but who bothers to get a silencer for a .22? Just shoot CB caps

Suppressors for 22's are very popular.
CB caps won't cycle many semi autos.

Standard velocity is needed for many/most semi autos to work.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Lots of fine choices out there so this is just a short list, in no particular order, to consider;

• Browning Buckmark (multiple configurations)
  • Ruger Mark III 22/45 (multiple configurations)
  • Smith and Wesson M&P 22
  • Ruger Single Six convertible revolver (multiple configurations)
Hope this helps.

The Truth

The most economic choice for .22 caliber handgun is clearly the C93.

c93-223-handgun-with-two-40rd-mags-hg-c93-1240x700.jpg

Last edited:

mobiushky

It seems like the Walthers have had a slightly higher rate of failure because of what WW said about the slide. Also several Walther enthusiasts believe that the P-22 and the PK-380 are manufactured by Umarex directly in their Koeln plant as the proof marks are Koeln and not Ulm where Walther's factory is. Granted Walther is an Umarex company, but Umarex is more known for their airsoft toys.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/7574-show-me-proof-p22-made-umarex.html

The main point of failure on the SR-22 is the plastic take down lever. Initially, they were breaking after several rounds. That pretty much makes the gun unusable. Lately, that seems to have slowed a bit.

I personally have the SR-22. I was in the market a few years ago and after checking out the P-22 and the SR-22, I ended up with the SR-22. That MIM zinc slide on the P-22 did not give me a warm fuzzy, but that also doesn't really mean it WILL break. Anything will break with abuse.

BlowMonkey5

if it's just a range/plinking gun...try the phoenix hp22a. I picked one up at a gun show for $125 out the door. It's been a fun little shooter so far. Pros: cheap!; magazines are cheap ($8-10); fun to shoot; life-time warranty; can change out to a 5" barrel. Cons: it's heavy as hell for a 22lr; not gonna win any beauty contests; 7 million safeties on it.

GrimeTime

In the standard semi auto I would look at the Ruger SR22 or the Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact. Love both. In a target gun maybe the Browning Buck Mark or Ruger 22/45 or Mark III. There are lots of other fun .22 firearms out there. Enjoy them all!
sent from my Lumia Icon Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do not like - no trigger protection + see sitting down as nearly impossible. What we look for is promoting and defending the right to open carry as we go about our everyday lives. Who is going to carry a rig that as their EDC?

My question regarding holster? was intended to get others to see the problem fitting our standard(s).