• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for feedback on the most economical choice for a .22 caliber handgun

Firearms Iinstuctor

I owned 4 22 semi auto 22 pistols a colt woodsman, ruger MK I standard browning buck mark and a jennings J22. the woods man is a classic but the safety plate cracked on it and I sold it in a weak moment. The MK I I put 50000 plus rounds through it my son has it now and it is still going strong.

The buck mark is ok but the top strap on mine keeps coming loose and one needs to tighten it every couple hundreds of rounds. if it didn't have that problem it be a much better pistol I have put about 10000 rounds through it. the jennings has one purpose that is to shoot trapped critters or those caught by the hounds. It is carried with 5 in the mag and a empty chamber for that purpose it works.

If I were going to buy a pistol now i would find a use Ruger MK I or II target.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My personal reason for not liking the Ruger SR-22 is the safety manipulation which is completely backward from normal frame-mounted safeties. But if it's the only frame-mounted safety you will ever need to worry about, then this isn't a big issue.

The Mark II/III series is a much better pistol, even the ugly 22/45. My Mark II is in a tie for my most accurate .22 pistol (tied with my Kimber 1911). The Browning Buckmark and S&W series (422, etc) have an equal reputation.

I do also own a Walther P22. It has a slide-mounted safety that works the same way as other slide-mounted safeties. It does not decock but you can pull the trigger to drop the hammer after applying the safety. It works great with the ammo that it likes, and this can vary between guns, from what I hear. It works well with my suppressor.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The SR22 safety is actually a hammer drop. The Ruger is DA/SA like many early semi autos with a hammer drop. The P22 "safety" also flips opposite of a 1911, same direction as the SR22, but I don't believe it drops the hammer. Though the hammer can be lowered with it on. The Mark series must or should be carried with the safety on, it is not necessary with the SR22.

There are a lot of choices on 22's depending on what the purpose of use is. The Ruger Mark series are a tad cumbersome for conceal carry, both the SR22 and the P22 are about the same size and could be concealed. If no conceal carry then the choices are wide open.

FreeInAZ

Ok - based on "economical" choice mentioned in the title- a phoenix arms 22 May be a option. Inexpensive as the base model can be had for around $110, 10+1 with almost too many safeties IMHO. But for a newer shooter that maybe a good thing. One can be had with the upgrade kit (two barrels 3 & 5 inches) two mags, one with pinky rest, cleaning kit, life time warranty, all for well under $200 in gun broker auctions. These are heavier pistols so for recoil sensitive shooters, they offer little felt recoil. My sister in law has one and shoots well with it.
http://buckshotonline.com/Phoenix-Arms-HP22A-22LR-Nickel-Deluxe-Range-Kit-HP-22DLXRANGE.htm

https://phoenix-arms.com/Products/HP22A_Deluxe.html

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Ok - based on "economical" choice mentioned in the title- a phoenix arms 22 May be a option. Inexpensive as the base model can be had for around $110, 10+1 with almost too many safeties IMHO. But for a newer shooter that maybe a good thing. One can be had with the upgrade kit (two barrels 3 & 5 inches) two mags, one with pinky rest, cleaning kit, life time warranty, all for well under $200 in gun broker auctions. These are heavier pistols so for recoil sensitive shooters, they offer little felt recoil. My sister in law has one and shoots well with it.
http://buckshotonline.com/Phoenix-Arms-HP22A-22LR-Nickel-Deluxe-Range-Kit-HP-22DLXRANGE.htm

https://phoenix-arms.com/Products/HP22A_Deluxe.html

The HP22 is not for everybody, with all the confusing safeties. I have been thinking of getting one, if I did I would carry with just the frame safety cocked and locked. I think the slide safety is more for lowering the hammer safely or preventing FP damage from dry fire.

FreeInAZ

The HP22 is not for everybody, with all the confusing safeties. I have been thinking of getting one, if I did I would carry with just the frame safety cocked and locked. I think the slide safety is more for lowering the hammer safely or preventing FP damage from dry fire.

Agreed! This is how she carries hers. For someone who cannot handle any recoil for the most part, she shoots it very well. I was able to put multiple shots in the 10/x rings with it at both 5 & 7 yards, out of the standard 3 inch barrel.

Last edited: