• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll: Corporal Punishment Options

Which methods are acceptable (multiple allowed)

• Open Hand to backside only

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Open Hand to bare backside

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Belts, switches, paddles

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Coat hangers, bullwhips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Backhand to face

• Slap to face

• Closed fist to body

• Kick to body

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I had one child who is now an adult, but I never had to hit her, or lay a hand on her in any way. She was a good kid. I'm glad I didn't, both because I was worried I would and I knew it would be teaching the child that physical violence is 'a' solution to behavior.

But, how could you possibly enforce timeouts and restrictions without corporal punishment!?

The Truth

99% of the time now that I've gotten the pre-emptive discipline out of the way, I simply ask my little girl, "Do you wanna get popped?" and she says, "No..." and does what I tell her to.

Primus

99% of the time now that I've gotten the pre-emptive discipline out of the way, I simply ask my little girl, "Do you wanna get popped?" and she says, "No..." and does what I tell her to.
So a threat of violence to coerce her to do stuff.... Where have I heard of this before?

The Truth

So a threat of violence to coerce her to do stuff.... Where have I heard of this before?

You must not have a 2 year old...

You must indoctrinate these kids early so that they fit the statists' fascist mold!

J_dazzle23

Brb.....cops all over threatening Joey Crack with a spanking if he doesn't give comply.....
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Last edited:

Primus

You must not have a 2 year old...

You must indoctrinate these kids early so that they fit the statists' fascist mold!
actually son just turned 2 last Monday amazingly no threats of violence needed. But threats of time out on occasion when needed. When h does something wrong he gets sat in time out. If he cries or tries to leave he gets sat back in time out.

Now it would certainly be easier to hit him and cause pain then makes threats of more pain. But no thanks. I'll take the extra time and deal with yelling and keep putting him in time out

I deal with enough animals that were treated like animals during their formative years. Kids arent dogs that you slap with a rolled up newspaper.

The Truth

Mine is 21 months. Just coming up on being able to understand what timeout even is, so no, timeout isn't adequate for every kid. In my opinion yelling at your kid is much worse than a single little pop on the butt, but then again between your dog/animal analogy and your passive aggressive yelling it's hard to tell what you're even advocating.

You raise yours, I'll raise mine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
actually son just turned 2 last Monday amazingly no threats of violence needed. But threats of time out on occasion when needed. When h does something wrong he gets sat in time out. If he cries or tries to leave he gets sat back in time out.

Now it would certainly be easier to hit him and cause pain then makes threats of more pain. But no thanks. I'll take the extra time and deal with yelling and keep putting him in time out

I deal with enough animals that were treated like animals during their formative years. Kids arent dogs that you slap with a rolled up newspaper.
A lifetime or two ago, my soon to be bride asked me my thoughts on how children should be raised. Replied, "The same way I raise my dogs." That took some rapid explaining, but the point was made and understood.

My Irish Setters would hunt for me until they dropped - out of love, loyalty, and a desire to please. In most cases, children will respond to the same methods. Reward good behavior, but tug on the leash when necessary. Pay attention to the needs of each individual - no two are the same. Develop trust and understanding.

Hearth and home is more than a condition. It is a way of life.

Last edited:

Primus

Mine is 21 months. Just coming up on being able to understand what timeout even is, so no, timeout isn't adequate for every kid. In my opinion yelling at your kid is much worse than a single little pop on the butt, but then again between your dog/animal analogy and your passive aggressive yelling it's hard to tell what you're even advocating.

You raise yours, I'll raise mine.
Who said anything about ME "passive aggressive yelling"? I rarely raise my voice. No need to. Again kids arent dogs.

When I said deal with yelling I meant HIM yelling because that what kids do when they are upset. Except since I'm the adult I know enough to just bring him back to time out or sit with him in time out till the appropriate time has passed or he stops yelling.

I agree you raise your and I'll raise mine.
Just don't forget for a second who alleged I didn't have a 2 year old and tried to pull the "authority" card on me. Ironically your the one who doesn't have a 2 year old and yet I actually so. Amazing... :D

Primus

A lifetime or two ago, my soon to be bride asked me my thoughts on how children should be raised. Replied, "The same why I raise my dogs." That took some rapid explaining, but the point was made and understood.

My Irish Setters would hunt for me until they dropped - out of love, loyalty, and a desire to please. In most cases, children will respond to the same methods. Reward good behavior, but tug on the leash when necessary. Pay attention to the needs of each individual - no two are the same. Develop trust and understanding.

Hearth and home is more than a condition. It is a way of life.
I agree 100% and well said as usual. Your analogy actually shows more about you as a person then anything else. You treat your dogs with love and care and raise them well, so easy to apply that to bearing children.

My comment was more towards the owners who leave their dogs out in the snow or kick them or hit them with objects. That's not something you would apply to children. Well I guess some do lol but each to his own. None of my business.

The Truth

So now you're arguing semantics in regards to our children's ages, hahah.

In the words of Grapeshot's Grandpa, "When you stoop to conquer, you lose."

Thanks for that, btw.

WalkingWolf

Diversity

Not every adult or child is the same, and responds to the same input. Some of the most loved spoiled children grow up to be killers. Some of the most abused grow up to be great people. The decision as long as it is within the law IS the parents.

Letting children run amok does not instil the feeling of love, IMO.