Thread: Rehearsing for death: A pre-K teacher on the trouble with lockdown drills

Rehearsing for death: A pre-K teacher on the trouble with lockdown drills

"“Remember that activity when we all get in the closet and pretend we’re not even there, so our principal can’t find us?” I choose my words carefully as I prep my pre-kindergarten students for the lockdown drill scheduled for that afternoon. These drills have become routine at Arlington elementary schools, and at schools across the country. After the latest school shooting, on Oct. 24 in Washington state, schools will no doubt be running through drills yet again. What can we do about all these shootings?, teachers ask each other. Lock the doors, we’re told, and assume the worst is coming. [ More ... ]"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...tml?tid=pm_pop
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

She sounds kind of like a nutbag. Everyone is freaking out over something that is not only rare but in the decline. In the last 14 years we've had less mass shootings than in any decade from the previous century.
    I do not envy the children of today. All terrified of shadows, unable to take responsibility for their actions, on drugs, and they all get a trophy for it.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    She sounds kind of like a nutbag. Everyone is freaking out over something that is not only rare but in the decline. In the last 14 years we've had less mass shootings than in any decade from the previous century.
    I do not envy the children of today. All terrified of shadows, unable to take responsibility for their actions, on drugs, and they all get a trophy for it.
    Do you have a cite for the decline in mass shooting? Also are you only referring to school shootings or all "mass shootings"?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Do you have a cite for the decline in mass shooting? Also are you only referring to school shootings or all "mass shootings"?
    It is for all mass shootings.
    If I remember correctly it was an FBI study that had been posted to this forum. Maybe a year ago?
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

If history is any indication, it would seem the best way to avoid a mass shooter is to stay out of gun free zones.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    If you address the actual topic, it's 'this is how they (admin) are telling us to cope or respond to a terror or invasion event and it's crazy'.

You have to assume:
    1. The authorities are not serious about protecting school children (prevention, interdiction)
    2. The authorities have a 'different agenda' than what they say and they know the 'hide in the closet' plan is BS.
    3. They give the teachers something to do, knowing it's rare (admin is delusional and time-wasters).
    4. They are inventing a 'political solution' and don't know a practical solution.
    5. It's too expensive to protect kids so they throw up a 'false solution' and hope it blows over.

If they really cared, if money was no object, if there was no political agenda, if they studied and applied 'effective security' (see what the Israelis are doing?) it would be fairly simple to never have another school shooting.

FWIW

Banned
    IMO the gov't requires you kid to be at school (homeschooling is an option but the state requires schooling) .. the gov't has responsibility to insure that kids are actually safe (not security theater of searching kids either).

Can a school be secure? You bet. And without violating any rights too.

Instead the gov't does not care IMO ...