Thread: Paying people for quarantines

Paying people for quarantines

The ongoing controversy over quarantine between those calling for quarantine and those who see it as violation of rights demands a compromise. Quarantine is harsh, as people are deprived of their liberty for no fault of their own. Aside from the inherent burden of confinement, those quarantined may also face financial losses from not being able to work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...r-quarantines/

I disagree with "no fault of their own." In this day and age of understanding of infectiousness and disease, either they didn't belong where they were exposed or their employer is liable.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    If a person is held for a single day, is it worth the paperwork for 1 day loss?

A week?

A month?

A set rate? Variable rate depending on current salary? Every jurist gets paid what, about 20 bucks a day .. they detain you then too.

Lets assume that the detainment is appropriate. Person gets detained for 3 days? I don't see the compelling need for any payment for three days (of course people who heat their houses with a wood stove, they get detained, their stove runs out of fuel, and their pipes burst ... so many variables to consider)....

I assume that one gets fed and sheltered over the detainment ~ not just tossed into a hole, right? You have to pay them back for these costs? Those costs might be more than your salary.

One person might make 100 bucks a day and the next 2000...

Interesting subject.

Some folks get sick leave, and some of them have accumulated sick leave on the books.

Some folks buy insurance (where's the AFLAK duck when you need him?) that is supposed to cover stuff like this.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pass some law (uh-oh! Here it comes!) that says someone placed under isolation/quarantine gets an automatic (rather large) X number of days to pay the arrearages without penalty or interest? Maybe with X being variable based on income and arrearages? Bill Gates gets two days while Wilma Welfare gets two years, just as a suggestion to get the discussion rolling.

Or how about a law that says everybody has to buy insurance. Maybe not AFLAK-quality insurance, but the government could think about setting up something so that folks who cannot afford an AFLAK-like policy would still be covered. (But this time if they are going to make birth control and abortion mandatory for seniors, they need to include ED pills for the senior guys.)

Sure, that'll work.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

Sure, that'll work.

stay safe.
    Or make a law saying its illegal to get sick ... then they are suspected criminals ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Or make a law saying its illegal to get sick ... then they are suspected criminals ....
    Yeah, sure. Take the hard way.

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty. Always with the negative waves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEj3LA2vSo

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Yeah, sure. Take the hard way.

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty. Always with the negative waves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEj3LA2vSo

stay safe.
    OK... make a law that says that people who are not sick should stay away from sick people. A good law supporting people's right not to get sick.

Shun icky. Shun icky people. Shun icky places. Shun icky employ.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The ongoing controversy over quarantine between those calling for quarantine and those who see it as violation of rights demands a compromise. Quarantine is harsh, as people are deprived of their liberty for no fault of their own. Aside from the inherent burden of confinement, those quarantined may also face financial losses from not being able to work.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...r-quarantines/

I disagree with "no fault of their own." In this day and age of understanding of infectiousness and disease, either they didn't belong where they were exposed or their employer is liable.
    Not sure I agree with employer being liable necessarily (would depend on circumstances - did employer direct person into the situation or was it voluntary?), however, if you don't understand the nature of the pathogen you're going to work with, them you definitely don't belong there.

Banned
    Gosh darn it ... its life.

Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug.

Suck it up.