• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in car without permit legal... statute cite?

Afrowq

I live in NC but work in TN. I have read that as of July 2014 it's legal to open carry in TN in my car, but I can't find any statute or code stating this. Can someone point me to the law stating such? This week I have seen random checkpoints across the border in TN on my commute from NC-TN and I want to be able to inform any LEO who doesn't know the law about my right to open carry in the car in TN if need be.

Thank you

cjohnson44546

Open or Concealed or whatever.. you can carry without a permit in your car.

you can find the text of the actual law... just search here looking for "39-17-1307" and read Section e which talks about that specific topic.

I'll paste the text of section e here as well...

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle if the person:

(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a firearm by § 39-17-1316; and

(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle.

(2) As used in this subsection (e):

(A) "Motor vehicle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

(B) "Motor vehicle" does not include any motor vehicle that is:

(i) Owned or leased by a governmental or private entity that has adopted a written policy prohibiting firearms or ammunition not required for employment within such a motor vehicle; and

(ii) Provided by such entity to an employee for use during the course of employment.

Ken56

Since your employment is in TN I assume you also know that in TN there is no legal duty to inform an officer you are armed. We all know that is like the #2 question an officer will ask though. Just stash it and go about your business.

Kopis

Since your employment is in TN I assume you also know that in TN there is no legal duty to inform an officer you are armed. We all know that is like the #2 question an officer will ask though. Just stash it and go about your business.

i was stopped in late summer on my bike. I usually inform because it gives me something else to talk about besides my driving. However in this case, it was extremely poor judgement on my part and i was a wee bit above the speed limit....... and didnt see him chasing me for a few miles. anyway, i didnt tell him and when he came back i told him i had a permit but wasnt armed. He cut me off mid sentence and said "there is no duty to inform LEOs in TN and if you arent carrying in memphis, you're a dumbass who deserves to be shot" funny perspective from an LEO. He was very nice and did not take me to jail. when we shook hands and parted ways, he said... "by the way, i enjoyed the chase" haha