• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry, concealing a problem.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Before the m&p shield, and the XDs. for conceal carry especially in the summer, we basically had .380's. While they are better than nothing, we know that the trade off between ballistics and portability is bad enough, however the trade off between ballistics and concealability, (new word) is even harder. In 2009 I purchased a Walther PPS, in .40. It is less than a inch wide, .900 and tucks anywhere, while still delivering 6-7 rounds of "decent" self defense. It was one of the frontrunners to the new rage of larger caliber sub-compacts.

5 years later, I have taken it for granted. It has been a robust, go to gun in the event I could not open carry. While not as fun to shoot as a full size gun, I still take it out and put it through the paces, on occasion. I hope you never experience the horror I did as I was out in the desert doing my regular drills, I Come out of the holster into a 1"square as quickly as I can Guarantee it. As I transitioned to my conceal carry rig, My first presentation from concealment went smooth, then I heard a loud "CLICK." My training appeared, Smack, Rack/Flip, decide to shoot..... "CLICK. Another instant replay, resulted in a "BANG" I put the "dud's in my pocket to inspect later, and continued to practice. The gun ran problem free, but my mind was running as well, What if my life had depended on that first shot?

To say that I was troubled, would be an understatement. As the scenarios of how wrong that could have been, I Started the process of searching for a new, reliable carry piece. But curiosity got the best of me. I had never messed with that gun other than field strip and clean, keeping with the mantra that stock was best, "If it aint broke, don't mess with it." Since it was broke, I decided to knock the pins out and give her a look.

What I found was crazy, I should have taken pictures. While the outside of the gun was in good shape minus some bare spots where the bluing was worn off, the inside sub-frame assembly and inside the slide looked like they had been filled with a redish, orangeish silicon. The steel parts of the sub-frame were coated with a crystallized rust appearing substance. I was mortified that I had no idea. The guns that I train with, I go through all the time, piece by piece. so I had never witnessed such neglect, and it was all on me.

In the end it cleaned up fine. I spent some time on everything, while the polymer frame took a spin through the dishwasher. It is back up and running, and I am not looking for a replacement ...yet. The silicon substance appeared to consist of a mixture of: cleaners and lubricants that had absorbed into lint, and dead skin, that was also subject to salty sweat. Now you know why I did not take pics. Trust me it was gnarly.

I shared this, as I learned a lesson. "If it aint broke, don't mess with it is not accurate." If your life depends on it, learn it, know it, and understand it, while maintaining it.... That "CLICK" sucks!
Funny thing is I am good at the stuff, and do it all the time. Just did not maintain the one that needed it most. (Poor form on my part.)

davidmcbeth

Banned
So, what the non-fire due to a bad primer? I've had those ... how to prepare for that? Just be aware that it does happen and know what to do. If it ends up getting you killed .. then your troubles are over.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Suspect the striker did not move with enough force to detonate the primer - yes?

If you only clean and inspect one (1) gun regularly, let it be your EDC.

Lesson learned I am sure - thanks for the "true confession."

DON`T TREAD ON ME

No the ammo was good, weak strikes on the primer. While the top and bottom end were both mucked up. I suspect that the slide if placed on a clean frame would have run flawlessly. I have a trace wear mark across the top of my trigger group (has a cross shape similar to a Glock) I believe the sear would drop, allowing the striker forward, but the gooze would keep the trigger group high enough that it would drag on the striker. Which was not in the best of conditions either and contributed to the situation as well.

Phoenix David

Me personally I would never use the dishwasher to clean a gun, for starters all the lead and other metal traces your sending them down the drain or leaving them to be spread around on what ever gets washed next. Your heating the frame up with warm to hot water that allows microscopic cracks to form and in them water deposits can form which over time could led to to the weakening of the frame.

Maybe the taking of shortcuts is the root cause of many problems.

wrightme

Me personally I would never use the dishwasher to clean a gun, for starters all the lead and other metal traces your sending them down the drain or leaving them to be spread around on what ever gets washed next. Your heating the frame up with warm to hot water that allows microscopic cracks to form and in them water deposits can form which over time could led to to the weakening of the frame.

Maybe the taking of shortcuts is the root cause of many problems.

I would wager that the metal in question is designed to stand up to hot water, as it is designed to stand up to the heat of chamber combustion.