Thread: Shooting reloads in my Beretta 92 FS

Shooting reloads in my Beretta 92 FS

I took my new Beretta 92 FS out yesterday and shot it for the first time. What a sweet shootin' gun. However, I had an experience that I need advice on. While shooting reloads, the slide would not lock in the open position after the last shot. The slide would be closed, and the trigger would fall on an empty chamber. Is this because of the reloads? It didn't seem to do this while shooting the factory loads, and it only did this on some of the reloads. It even happened when my buddy shot the reloads in his Sig. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter348 View Post
    I took my new Beretta 92 FS out yesterday and shot it for the first time. What a sweet shootin' gun. However, I had an experience that I need advice on. While shooting reloads, the slide would not lock in the open position after the last shot. The slide would be closed, and the trigger would fall on an empty chamber. Is this because of the reloads? It didn't seem to do this while shooting the factory loads, and it only did this on some of the reloads. It even happened when my buddy shot the reloads in his Sig. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
    If the reloads aren't powerful enough then maybe the slide is coming far enough back to eject spent bras but not far enough to catch the slide lock tab on the magazine follower or frame.

I would usually say magazine right away but you mentioned it happened with two separate guns.

When your shooting where is the pile of brass? At your feet? Or getting kicked some distance?

If thats the problem the get a lighter spring for gun or more power in reloads.
    Last edited by Primus; 10-31-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    zillions of rounds through my 92 fs (easy handling gun, very nice) zero issues with slide not getting caught upon last rd fired.

But it has to have a root cause for your experience....either a) gas related or b) not gas related (duh)

What ammo was it? Anyone else complaining or noting the same issue -- the 92 is a very popular model (and why buying a popular model has its advantages) ..

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    zillions of rounds through my 92 fs (easy handling gun, very nice) zero issues with slide not getting caught upon last rd fired.

But it has to have a root cause for your experience....either a) gas related or b) not gas related (duh)

What ammo was it? Anyone else complaining or noting the same issue -- the 92 is a very popular model (and why buying a popular model has its advantages) ..

The factory ammo was Winchester 115 grain FMJ 9mm Luger. The reloads were 125 grain lead with 4.4 grains, also 9mm. I stopped at the LGS where I bought the gun and the dealer there thought it was my hand placement. He had me hold a dummy gun and my right-hand thumb was resting on the slide release. He thought this might be preventing the slide from staying open. He also suggested it could be a magazine issue. As in the stop on the magazine that connects with the slide when the magazine is empty might be bad.

The factory ammo was Winchester 115 grain FMJ 9mm Luger. The reloads were 125 grain lead with 4.4 grains, also 9mm. I stopped at the LGS where I bought the gun and the dealer there thought it was my hand placement. He had me hold a dummy gun and my right-hand thumb was resting on the slide release. He thought this might be preventing the slide from staying open. He also suggested it could be a magazine issue. As in the stop on the magazine that connects with the slide when the magazine is empty might be bad.
    4.4 grains of what powder?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I don't work for Beretta's QC dept ... if we don't get information needed, that's it for me. I'm not a dentist either.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

Unique - and I don't know how old it was.

Unique - and I don't know how old it was.
    For a 125-grain lead bullet, the Lee book shows 5.3 - 5.5 grains of Unique.

Who did the reloading, and from where did the data come?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Never an issue w my 92 - shoot commercial loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

To followup on what MAC702 said, 4.4 grains of Unique is a light, even under-powered load for a 125 gr lead 9mm. Sounds like someone's target loads that were tuned to their particular gun and yours wants a bit stiffer load to perform properly.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.