• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting reloads in my Beretta 92 FS

scooter348

I took my new Beretta 92 FS out yesterday and shot it for the first time. What a sweet shootin' gun. However, I had an experience that I need advice on. While shooting reloads, the slide would not lock in the open position after the last shot. The slide would be closed, and the trigger would fall on an empty chamber. Is this because of the reloads? It didn't seem to do this while shooting the factory loads, and it only did this on some of the reloads. It even happened when my buddy shot the reloads in his Sig. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Primus

I took my new Beretta 92 FS out yesterday and shot it for the first time. What a sweet shootin' gun. However, I had an experience that I need advice on. While shooting reloads, the slide would not lock in the open position after the last shot. The slide would be closed, and the trigger would fall on an empty chamber. Is this because of the reloads? It didn't seem to do this while shooting the factory loads, and it only did this on some of the reloads. It even happened when my buddy shot the reloads in his Sig. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
If the reloads aren't powerful enough then maybe the slide is coming far enough back to eject spent bras but not far enough to catch the slide lock tab on the magazine follower or frame.

I would usually say magazine right away but you mentioned it happened with two separate guns.

When your shooting where is the pile of brass? At your feet? Or getting kicked some distance?

If thats the problem the get a lighter spring for gun or more power in reloads.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
zillions of rounds through my 92 fs (easy handling gun, very nice) zero issues with slide not getting caught upon last rd fired.

But it has to have a root cause for your experience....either a) gas related or b) not gas related (duh)

What ammo was it? Anyone else complaining or noting the same issue -- the 92 is a very popular model (and why buying a popular model has its advantages) ..

scooter348

zillions of rounds through my 92 fs (easy handling gun, very nice) zero issues with slide not getting caught upon last rd fired.

But it has to have a root cause for your experience....either a) gas related or b) not gas related (duh)

What ammo was it? Anyone else complaining or noting the same issue -- the 92 is a very popular model (and why buying a popular model has its advantages) ..

The factory ammo was Winchester 115 grain FMJ 9mm Luger. The reloads were 125 grain lead with 4.4 grains, also 9mm. I stopped at the LGS where I bought the gun and the dealer there thought it was my hand placement. He had me hold a dummy gun and my right-hand thumb was resting on the slide release. He thought this might be preventing the slide from staying open. He also suggested it could be a magazine issue. As in the stop on the magazine that connects with the slide when the magazine is empty might be bad.

WalkingWolf

The factory ammo was Winchester 115 grain FMJ 9mm Luger. The reloads were 125 grain lead with 4.4 grains, also 9mm. I stopped at the LGS where I bought the gun and the dealer there thought it was my hand placement. He had me hold a dummy gun and my right-hand thumb was resting on the slide release. He thought this might be preventing the slide from staying open. He also suggested it could be a magazine issue. As in the stop on the magazine that connects with the slide when the magazine is empty might be bad.

4.4 grains of what powder?

HPmatt

Never an issue w my 92 - shoot commercial loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustaShooter

To followup on what MAC702 said, 4.4 grains of Unique is a light, even under-powered load for a 125 gr lead 9mm. Sounds like someone's target loads that were tuned to their particular gun and yours wants a bit stiffer load to perform properly.