• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm selection in Australia

Superlite27

A phrase in another thread about the legality of a .45 ACP made me curious about something, but not wanting to derail the thread, I figured I'd ask it here.

Considering that some types of handguns appear to be legal, and others not, how does a person purchase a firearm in Australia?

Not the specific process, but the actual purchase? I would imagine with the specificity of what's allowed and what isn't, any gun store would have a dearth of product selection.

Are there stores such as we in America would consider "gun stores" where you walk in and there are Matrix-like racks of long guns you have to walk around in order to get to the glass cases filled with shelves stacked with every form and finish of handgun imaginable?

Or is there some other method in which it is more practical to purchase a gun there?

In the other thread, the discussion briefly touched on the 1911 and the process of getting permission to own a .45. This is what made me wonder about firearm availability if one is required to undergo such a rigamarole to simply own a particular caliber. (Do the powers that be realize that other calibers are still capable of putting holes in people, or are .45 caliber holes somehow more despicable than other caliber holes? "Well, Jim. It looks like this bloke was killed by being shot 5 times in the heart with a 9mm." "Whew! Jeez, Ralph. You had me scared there. For a moment, I thought you were going to say he'd been shot with a .45!")

This legality issue made me wonder about availability. Certainly, if only a few firearms are lawful, this will drastically affect availabilty? How would it be practical to open a gun store when you are limited on the items you're allowed to stock?

Let's imagine a person did get permitted to purchase a .45. Do they run down to the gun store and look at a case full of options like Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Dan Wesson, STI...just to name a few?

Let's say this person who has been permitted has fixated upon an Ed Brown custom 1911.

It's not like you'd find one just lying on a shelf here in the U.S.

How would you buy one in Australia?

Last edited:

DW98

Not the specific process, but the actual purchase? I would imagine with the specificity of what's allowed and what isn't, any gun store would have a dearth of product selection.

Are there stores such as we in America would consider "gun stores" where you walk in and there are Matrix-like racks of long guns you have to walk around in order to get to the glass cases filled with shelves stacked with every form and finish of handgun imaginable?

We definitely have gun stores. I can think of three within a ten minute drive of my house. While we're limited in what we can own, most of the stores I've been to have a wide variety of different firearms available for purchase. The last gun store I went to had Glocks, Berrettas, Sigs, Desert Eagles, S&W's and so on. Gun ownership is at its highest level ever, with well over 800,000 (and growing quickly) legal gun owners in the country, so there's no shortage of guns, as I may have mistakenly given the impression of.

A couple of examples.

Go to 5:15 and you'll see what I mean.

[video=youtube;v7armnMfccE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7armnMfccE[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFUlY6Tj-q0

I looked at their website and they do sell handguns, but they're not in the video from what I could see.

http://www.abelasgunshop.com.au/firearms/pistol.html

In the other thread, the discussion briefly touched on the 1911 and the process of getting permission to own a .45. This is what made me wonder about firearm availability if one is required to undergo such a rigamarole to simply own a particular caliber. (Do the powers that be realize that other calibers are still capable of putting holes in people, or are .45 caliber holes somehow more despicable than other caliber holes? "Well, Jim. It looks like this bloke was killed by being shot 5 times in the heart with a 9mm." "Whew! Jeez, Ralph. You had me scared there. For a moment, I thought you were going to say he'd been shot with a .45!")

Quite simply, they're just trying to make it more convoluted to own handguns so people will lose interest or not attempt to buy one in the first place.

Let's imagine a person did get permitted to purchase a .45. Do they run down to the gun store and look at a case full of options like Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, Dan Wesson, STI...just to name a few?

Pretty much. Although as you probably know, or can guess, you can't just walk into a gun store and buy a firearm and leave with it then and there. Separate paperwork is required for every gun, which usually takes about 3 and a half weeks. Basically, you have to know exactly what gun you want before submitting the paperwork to buy it. So, you can buy it and have a dealer hold it for you, but until everything is cleared with weapons licensing you can't take it home.

Hopefully that helped. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Rusty Young Man

Thanks for the informative post, DW98.:)

We definitely have gun stores. I can think of three within a ten minute drive of my house. While we're limited in what we can own, most of the stores I've been to have a wide variety of different firearms available for purchase. The last gun store I went to had Glocks, Berrettas, Sigs, Desert Eagles, S&W's and so on. Legal Gun ownership is at its highest level ever, with well over 800,000 (and growing quickly) legal gun owners in the country, so there's no shortage of guns, as I may have mistakenly given the impression of.

A couple of examples.SNIP...

Fixed it for you (bolded).;)
I understood what you meant about firearm ownership: collecting and sport shooting is "allowed", while defending your life with one deserves to be punished even harsher than the would-be murderer.

We have a few states in the northeastern U.S. that have a similar mentality where law-abiding citizens must find a way to pay the exorbitant fees for mandatory training, hope the parking ticket from five years ago doesn't disqualify them (the "character assessment" portion of the process), and then hope that "this specific individual told me he was going to kill me in this specific manner" is a valid reason for owning a firearm.:banghead:

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.
I don't understand. I thought Australia rounded up all sorts of firearms years ago and destroyed them - but the video shows lots of firearms available for purchase.

Can you explain what happened/what is happening? Thank you.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I don't understand. I thought Australia rounded up all sorts of firearms years ago and destroyed them - but the video shows lots of firearms available for purchase.

This thread has become , blurred, between , Australia and New Zealand ...

Their is a difference!!!

DW98

I understood what you meant about firearm ownership: collecting and sport shooting is "allowed", while defending your life with one deserves to be punished even harsher than the would-be murderer.

Yep. While it's not illegal to defend yourself, in the 'right circumstances', you can't take any precautions outside of putting security doors and cameras in, which I did not long ago.

Last edited:

DW98

They took a lot of semi-automatic longarms away, but some people can still own them. The laws haven't changed since then if that's what you're wondering, they actually got stricter a few years later, although guns are still obtainable if you jump through the hoops to get one. There are currently more guns in private hands than ever before.

This thread has become , blurred, between , Australia and New Zealand ...

Their is a difference!!!

I've seen no reference to New Zealand here?

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
They took a lot of semi-automatic longarms away, but some people can still own them. The laws haven't changed since then if that's what you're wondering, they actually got stricter a few years later, although guns are still obtainable if you jump through the hoops to get one. There are currently more guns in private hands than ever before...
Now I'm really cornfused! So the effect of all the gun confiscation was MORE GUNS? Are the "new" guns of different types than the old?

btw, in case anyone is confused, the OP referenced Australia, and I'm referring to Australia too!

DW98

Now I'm really cornfused! So the effect of all the gun confiscation was MORE GUNS?

Well, they wanted to reduce severely reduce the number of legally held firearms, but it didn't work out as well as expected. Even though a lot of guns were banned/and or handed in and destroyed, there were still over 2 million registered guns in the country after the 'buyback' was over. If I remember correctly, there were around half a million (some estimates go higher) 'assault rifles' that were never handed in as well.

Are the "new" guns of different types than the old?

Less (don't have exact figures) semi-auto and pump shotguns are sold, since they're much tighter restricted than they once were.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Now I'm really cornfused! So the effect of all the gun confiscation was MORE GUNS? Are the "new" guns of different types than the old?

btw, in case anyone is confused, the OP referenced Australia, and I'm referring to Australia too!

New Zealand? Sheep are not covered under the new laws .... I'm waiting for the payback they'll give !

3 1/2 week "waiting period" .. perhaps it takes 1 week and a quarter to travel to the nearest shop ... it is , after-all, Australia.

I'm sure that anyone can read the law and figure out a way around it...politicians can only outlaw stuff based on existing things.

Bonagles

Cleaver's has a good range of *overpriced* gear, but their customer service is absolutely terrible.

Last edited: