Thread: Tell me about this .38 long cartridge revolver

Tell me about this .38 long cartridge revolver

I came across this .38 long cartridge revolver when cleaning out my father in law's garage. He didn't know a lot about it, other than it came from his grandpa, and he's never shot it, himself.

I did some research but couldn't find a lot about it online. The manufacturer is GAC Firearms MFG. Co

Does anyone have any familiarity on this piece?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I believe it is a Spanish made copy of American firearm. Might help to post a picture, but I am guessing it looks like a S&W pre war revolver.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Have no idea about your particular gun. As mentioned, a picture or more info on the markings and where they are located may help. You could also look here
    http://world.guns.ru/index-e.html or here http://arms2armor.com/Firearms/firearms.htm

Be aware that .38Long is not .38S&W aad it definately is not .38Spcl. If you do not have this http://www.saami.org/specifications_...mbinations.pdf
    bookmarked, saved on your hard disk, a backup copy saved somewhere else, and printed out do so now.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Here's a picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revolver.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	12187  

Is .38 LC commonly available?

And thank you for the reference guide!

Banned
    A left handed gun? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Here's a picture of it.
    As I thought, a Spanish copy of a S&W pre war. Yes ammo is available but it is expensive. If you reload it is simple to cut down 38 spl cases for it. IIRC the original load called for a heavy bullet over black or early smokeless powder. Seems to me the gun was loaded to throw a 200 grain bullet at 600 FPS. Yes it was a very heavy bullet moving at a snails pace. You should be able to get by with a 158 grain bullet loaded to about the same speed or a little faster.

Hodgdon shows with a 150 grain bullet starting load with 3 grains of universal for 631 FPS, 3.5 grains is maximum for 769 FPS. With a 125 grain bullet the load is 3.2 grains universal for 626 FPS, 3.7 grains for 772 FPS.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

US$.57 to US$.70 a round, and readily available.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/38-long-colt
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    http://herohog.com/images/guns/ammo/

I have a 38 colt short Police Positive revolver. Shoots great and ammo is available.