• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take my survey for class please! GUN STUFF survey

philly

Im writing an argumentative essay on why gun free zones are a bad idea. The survey is only 6 questions long so please help me out!

AS OF 11/4/14 AT 1922 EST, I took the link down because I collected the data I needed. Thanks to all who participated!

-Philly

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not only no but BIG CAPITAL LETTERS heck no!

Explain, in three million words or less, how any of these questions relate to gun free zones, let alone gun free zones being a bad idea:

1. Have you ever shot a firearm (handgun, shotgun, rifle)?

2. Do you own any firearms?

3. If you answered yes to question 3, how many firearms do you own?

4. In three or less words, describe how you feel about firearms.

5. Ohio allows for loaded firearms to be carried by citizens openly without a license. Do you agree or disagree with this? Explain why.

6. Do you believe that forks and spoons make people overweight?

There are a few possibilities that might explain why you chose those questions when your hypothesis is that gun free zones are bad. Some of them relate to your complete and utter lack of understanding of what a gun free zone is or why it might be either a good or bad idea. Some of them relate to your possible political leanings. Some of them relate to things I should not say less I be accused of making a personal attack.

Just to satisfy my perverse curiosity:
1 - how old are you?
2 - what grade level is this class?
3 - Are you aware that you left out an apostrophe in your post?

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

I thought about being a dick and criticizing you thoroughly for asking for help on this forum, but instead I just took the survey. Good luck with it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I thought about being a dick and criticizing you thoroughly for asking for help on this forum, but instead I just took the survey. Good luck with it.

I don't mind kids (yes, I'm presuming the OP is a kid) coming here to ask for help. I just have this old-fashioned expectation that they will have done at least some basic information-gathering first if only to help focus them as to what kind of help to ask for or what sort of information to seek from us. And that what they seek will be relevant to what they say is the project they are working on.

It's probably some hold-over from living with the dinosaurs.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Im writing an argumentative essay on why gun free zones are a bad idea. The survey is only 6 questions long so please help me out! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WW6PBR3

Explain, in three million words or less, how any of these questions relate to gun free zones, let alone gun free zones being a bad idea:

There are a few possibilities that might explain why you chose those questions when your hypothesis is that gun free zones are bad. Some of them relate to your complete and utter lack of understanding of what a gun free zone is or why it might be either a good or bad idea. Some of them relate to your possible political leanings. Some of them relate to things I should not say less I be accused of making a personal attack.

1 - how old are you?

stay safe.
I too see no relationship between the questions asked and GFZ.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1 - how old are you?

stay safe.

My name is Zach and I just joined the forum. I recently turned 21 and make the exciting purchase of a Glock 23 Gen 4. I have an awesome part time job working at Aumiller's Gun Shop...

Previous from OP. Questions seem odd from a 21yr old working at a "gunshop". A "college level" class?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My name is Zach and I just joined the forum. I recently turned 21 and make the exciting purchase of a Glock 23 Gen 4. I have an awesome part time job working at Aumiller's Gun Shop...

Previous from OP. Questions seem odd from a 21yr old working at a "gunshop". A "college level" class?
Interesting place:
Aumiller's Gun Shop
1 W Main St Westerville, OH 43081

(614) 891-0656

I called to see if Zach was or had been an employee - to conform validity of information. When I asked for the manager, was told he wasn't there and hung up. Called back to ask when he would be there - answered he wasn't there and hung up before I got a word out. Sooo I called back a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time to say I wasn't trying to be impolite, just wanted to know when I could reach him. The man answering (Alex) shouted in the phone and told me to quit calling here! Seems like deplorable public relations to me.

Can someone local check out whether a 21yo, college student Zach in fact works there?

solus

grape, et al., ffl of record is JON WISLER w/phone number of record is the same you listed but that business name is not listed per se (none listed??).

might wish to ask for Jon by name...

ipse

addendum

from: http://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/6321-avoid-gun-shop-in-westerville/

Posted May. 06 2006 - 05:48 PM
Avoid Gun shop on main street in Westerville!

That is unless you enjoy being treated extremely rudely. Most folk's don't even know the little out of the way place exists and those that do seem to be of the consensus that the owner is very impolite. When I've ventured into the shop the guy has never been overly friendly but a recent trip has solidfied my position of no longer giving the guy any business.

Last edited:

philly

I wonder what level and interest is the class.

1 - how old are you?

stay safe.

Interesting place:
Aumiller's Gun Shop
1 W Main St Westerville, OH 43081

(614) 891-0656

I called to see if Zach was or had been an employee - to conform validity of information. When I asked for the manager, was told he wasn't there and hung up. Called back to ask when he would be there - answered he wasn't there and hung up before I got a word out. Sooo I called back a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time to say I wasn't trying to be impolite, just wanted to know when I could reach him. The man answering (Alex) shouted in the phone and told me to quit calling here! Seems like deplorable public relations to me.

Can someone local check out whether a 21yo, college student Zach in fact works there?

grape, et al., ffl of record is JON WISLER w/phone number of record is the same you listed but that business name is not listed per se (none listed??).

might wish to ask for Jon by name...

ipse

addendum

from: http://ar15armory.com/forums/topic/6321-avoid-gun-shop-in-westerville/

Posted May. 06 2006 - 05:48 PM
Avoid Gun shop on main street in Westerville!

That is unless you enjoy being treated extremely rudely. Most folk's don't even know the little out of the way place exists and those that do seem to be of the consensus that the owner is very impolite. When I've ventured into the shop the guy has never been overly friendly but a recent trip has solidfied my position of no longer giving the guy any business.

Okay! Let me go ahead and try to answer everybody's questions and bashing all in one go.

Skidmark- 1. Im 21 2. This is a college English Comp 1 class. 3. No I was not aware of the apostrophe, you grammar nazi :).

Nightmare- This is a college English Comp 1 class.

Scouser- Woops I messed up a number, get over it :)

Grapeshot- There is little relationship related between the questions and GFZ because this survey was done before I have started any true research on my topic. My professor only required us to make 5 questions and hand them out to our classmates. I wanted to go above and beyond and collect more data so I put it on the forum. I did not know what questions to ask related to a GFZ, so I asked questions to get a general idea of what experience the "average" person has with firearms. Granted, this forum is not filled with average firearm uses, and I knew that previous to posting.

MSG Laigaie- Yes I am 21, work at a gunshop and its at Columbus State Community College (start the jokes). I attend this school because you can obtain the OPOTC and associates degree in the same Criminal Justice program.

Grapeshot again- I apologize for your experience trying to call the shop. I will talk to Alex soon and I PM'd you my number to explain my situation as well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Solus- That review was from 2006, when the old owner Dan was not the best business person. It is under new ownership and they are working to overhaul the reputation.

Sorry to cause such a commotion on the forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Sorry to cause such a commotion on the forum.
You have not caused a commotion - just that we like to see more validating information to verify the intent of the poster. Numerous times in the past some have responded to supposedly well intended registrants; then either to never hear from them again or have the answers/responses twisted into something else. In short, we have been conditioned to be cautious, especially of newbies with leading questions

Also, we have been besieged by spammers, provocateurs, and the like - over 8,000 of them in the last 2 weeks, so I apologize if we seem a little thin skinned.

I have tried to reach you by the phone number you provided in the PM - will try again latter.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have talked to Zach on the phone - think he is the real deal. He hit the ground running with only a generalized idea. Refinement will follow and likely get more specific as to GFZ. Patience gentleman - we can help him.

philly

Have talked to Zach on the phone - think he is the real deal. He hit the ground running with only a generalized idea. Refinement will follow and likely get more specific as to GFZ. Patience gentleman - we can help him.

Thank you sir!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I's love to help him out. Which door did he use to come in. <tish boom!>

Zach - I will buy that your prof wanted to see five (5) questions before you started going anywhere. But you kinda-sorta figured out where you wanted to go, but threw your original questions at us in a way that implied they related to the notion of a GFZ being a bad idea. If I were not a tolerant, easy-going guy with a burning desire to help my fellow man - especially youngsters - I would think that what you did was insulting and tell you to get off my cyberlawn.

Your topic should be a slam-dunk. Google stuff like mall shooting, school shooting, supermarket shooting, WalMart shooting and the like. Figure out which on of those is not a cast-iron no-compromise GFZ and see if their stats on "rapid mass murder events" are different and speculate as to why. See if the evidence supports your speculation.

There. Unless you do charts, graphs, and PowerPoint slides, you have anywhere from a 3-page to a 20-page paper. No charge, because I'm making you color in the picture (and hoping you can stay within the lines).

stay safe.

philly

I's love to help him out. Which door did he use to come in. <tish boom!>

Zach - I will buy that your prof wanted to see five (5) questions before you started going anywhere. But you kinda-sorta figured out where you wanted to go, but threw your original questions at us in a way that implied they related to the notion of a GFZ being a bad idea. If I were not a tolerant, easy-going guy with a burning desire to help my fellow man - especially youngsters - I would think that what you did was insulting and tell you to get off my cyberlawn.

Your topic should be a slam-dunk. Google stuff like mall shooting, school shooting, supermarket shooting, WalMart shooting and the like. Figure out which on of those is not a cast-iron no-compromise GFZ and see if their stats on "rapid mass murder events" are different and speculate as to why. See if the evidence supports your speculation.

There. Unless you do charts, graphs, and PowerPoint slides, you have anywhere from a 3-page to a 20-page paper. No charge, because I'm making you color in the picture (and hoping you can stay within the lines).

stay safe.

I appreciate it sir! Thank you!

Chuck!

Grapeshot again- I apologize for your experience trying to call the shop. I will talk to Alex soon and I PM'd you my number to explain my situation as well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Solus- That review was from 2006, when the old owner Dan was not the best business person. It is under new ownership and they are working to overhaul the reputation.

Can you reconcile those two statements?

And that gun shop, is that the one with the machine gun nest set up in the middle of the floor?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The discussion of mathematics does not belong in this thead - definitely OT.

Deleted them all.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

above and beyond Grape ... I saw the questions ... but I do not provide specific information on my defense capabilities. Others are not as cautious as me ...

I love Gun Free Zones ... says the guy who likes to murder folks....

I don't look for signs or expend effort into finding such zones ....

philly

Can you reconcile those two statements?

And that gun shop, is that the one with the machine gun nest set up in the middle of the floor?

Yes sir we have a mounted 50 cal and a M1919 Browning aerial model.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...The survey is only 6 questions long so please help me out! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WW6PBR3

Took the survey after reading the posts and defer to Grapeshot's decision to take you at your word. If the atmosphere seemed a bit abrasive, it was because of the drive-by posters, trolls, and spammers we see; it goes back to the "eternal vigilance" thing.;)

I saw no real harm in all but one question posed; the only gun question I never answer in ANY form is "how many guns do you own?". Whether it is one or one-thousand, their effect in terms of criminal statistics is negligible, seeing as you can't count non-occurrences.

Best of luck on your paper (I wrote a similar one for a course about three semesters ago), and best of luck in redeeming the gun shop's reputation.