Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Quiet lately

  1. #1
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310

    Quiet lately

    Back when Open Carry first passed you could not keep up with all the post flying off the shelf. Seems these days both OKOCA and the boards are very very quiet.

    What happened to all the excitement?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    31
    I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

    I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Well, go-along-to-get-along works for some.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Robert318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by JHART View Post
    I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

    I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.

    I too have posted my experiences on several occasions, mostly all good experiences. I however refuse to let someone elses hurt feelings or ideals, or reactions dictate how I carry! If Im at work representing the company and on a customers property or at church not wanting to scare off the lost and misinformed then I conceal, but only because I feel I am a company or church representative and not for anyone else or because some people in general get butt hurt over the site of a gun. Any other time I typically always choose to open carry as opposed to conceal.

    But though I disagree with your reasoning, I support everyone that chooses to take their safety seriously and that chooses to take their safety in their own hands.
    Stay safe and God bless.

    Everyone will hate you because of me.
    But not a hair of your head will perish.
    Stand firm, and you will win life.
    (Luke 21:17-19 NIV)

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.",
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms."Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Midwest City, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by JHART View Post
    I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

    I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.
    I feel the same as you, and feel very uncomfortable open carrying. I have not seen one other person doing so since I joined this site, the exception being the monthly meets we used to have. Been a long time since we had one of them here locally. Seems all the action has moved up to the Tulsa area, and ain't no way I'm driving up that way for any reason. Last meet I went to, I had set it up at Ron's Hamburgers in MWC. That was a long time ago, have not seen any locally for well over a year, probably longer.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JHART View Post
    I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

    I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.
    Funny story ! Should open carry again and proceed directly back to that business ...to post more funny stories based on fact.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I can't fault those who choose not to because of the reactions. It's a bummer you are in a state that unconstitutionally made it illegal for so long that people don't realize it is supposed to be normal. I live in Nevada, where it has never been illegal, and while it went through a period where it was more rare, it never really went away before the resurgence. I've been doing it for 22 years and it's nice to see more and more.

    Honestly, if I lived in Oklahoma, I don't know if I'd do it everywhere, either, if it became an issue. Only once, and recently, was I asked to leave a place in Nevada, and that was because of a rogue bartender who didn't know his corporate policy. It was corrected expediently.

    As for a clerk that did something so horribly stupid as to feign panic, I would not let that slide. As you noted, that is so dangerous as to get you mistaken and possibly killed in someone's reaction. I would have had it corrected on the spot, and if attitudes didn't allow it, I would look into his employer or seeing about filing charges of disturbing the peace.

    As with all civil rights movements, it requires lots of steam to pull away from a dead start when you haven't had the benefit of two centuries of inertia like the freer states. And like with other civil rights movements, there will be a lot more talk than action, especially when it comes to the civil rights of people that just want to be left alone in the first place.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member okiephlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    420
    It is hard to not notice the quiet lately. I still OC primarily and still see others OC as well. I think that it is moving to the "not a big deal" stage where everyone knows about it and it is being more accepted. This is also a dangerous stage, because it gets people to complacency. I have never seen many OC, but they are still out there. Just last week saw a guy in the frozen food section of Walmart, proudly OC.
    JHART and CBXER55, I would encourage you to stay strong and hang in there with OC. The more people see OC, the easier it gets and the more accepted it is. Either way, I fully support your decision.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    My routine takes me to the same places all the time. Making posts about, "I went to Taco Bell again with no issue", or "Stopped at the gas station/grocery store on the way home and no one cared", while important feel somewhat redundant. While I don't want negative reactions, I am much more inclined to post positive encounters than non-encounters.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

  10. #10
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    My routine takes me to the same places all the time. Making posts about, "I went to Taco Bell again with no issue", or "Stopped at the gas station/grocery store on the way home and no one cared", while important feel somewhat redundant. While I don't want negative reactions, I am much more inclined to post positive encounters than non-encounters.
    I could not agree more. I strive for positive constructive post as well.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by okiephlyer View Post
    It is hard to not notice the quiet lately. I still OC primarily and still see others OC as well. I think that it is moving to the "not a big deal" stage where everyone knows about it and it is being more accepted. This is also a dangerous stage, because it gets people to complacency. I have never seen many OC, but they are still out there. Just last week saw a guy in the frozen food section of Walmart, proudly OC.
    JHART and CBXER55, I would encourage you to stay strong and hang in there with OC. The more people see OC, the easier it gets and the more accepted it is. Either way, I fully support your decision.
    Trust me Okiephler, I want to continue to proudly carry open. At first I was very proud! It made me feel free! For the most part it really is a non issue. Actually, when walking about and moving along whether it inside or out, I don't think a single person even notices. It's when the action stops like waiting in line to pay, waiting to be seated... etc. that people notice. I guess I have just had my fair share of off comments, looks, and remarks, that made me realize that others do not share the same enthusiasm as I do. Intellectually I agree with other comments I have seen such as, " It's not my problem you are offended and my gun scares you!" but when confronted or challenged as to why in the world am I carrying a gun, makes me very uncomfortable. If more people would do it and I saw even just a few, I think that would make a big difference. It seems as tho I am a lone wolf! I see no one else.

  12. #12
    Regular Member okiephlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by JHART View Post
    Trust me Okiephler, I want to continue to proudly carry open. At first I was very proud! It made me feel free! For the most part it really is a non issue. Actually, when walking about and moving along whether it inside or out, I don't think a single person even notices. It's when the action stops like waiting in line to pay, waiting to be seated... etc. that people notice. I guess I have just had my fair share of off comments, looks, and remarks, that made me realize that others do not share the same enthusiasm as I do. Intellectually I agree with other comments I have seen such as, " It's not my problem you are offended and my gun scares you!" but when confronted or challenged as to why in the world am I carrying a gun, makes me very uncomfortable. If more people would do it and I saw even just a few, I think that would make a big difference. It seems as tho I am a lone wolf! I see no one else.
    I can understand. The most negative comments I get on a regular basis are from the wife. Most of my time is spent in the BA/East Tulsa area and I have not encountered the off comments and looks, other than one mentioned here (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...er#post1979781) post#487.
    By nature, I am not a confrontational person. If I received the negative looks/comments that you apparently have, I might reconsider as well. Hang in there.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponca City, OK
    Posts
    107
    I will continue to open carry everywhere it is allowed. We fought too long for it and I am proud to show my support. I have had only one negative comment and that was a Walmart employee who was quickly set straight on corporate policy. On the other side of the coin I have had literally hundreds of positive comments and questions about how to obtain a permit, what I am carrying, what you are allowed to carry, etc. At least here in Ponca City the response is overwhelmingly positive. I've dealt with city and county LE and they are always supportive. In fact I have seen their posture relax and their demeanor change dramatically when they are made aware of my CCW. They know then that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen and you can really see that it puts them more at ease.

  14. #14
    Regular Member cbxer55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Midwest City, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    129
    Strange thing happened to me about that law enforcement. Last time I was stopped, the very first words out of the officers mouth were "are you armed Mr. Hill?" I didn't think they were supposes to know. I wasn't at the time because I had just gotten off work, and cannot carry where I work. So I answered him that. He seemed cool with it, and did not issue me a ticket for doing 15 over on Douglas Blvd. near SE 15th.

    So, do they know, or not?

  15. #15
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Strange thing happened to me about that law enforcement. Last time I was stopped, the very first words out of the officers mouth were "are you armed Mr. Hill?" I didn't think they were supposes to know. I wasn't at the time because I had just gotten off work, and cannot carry where I work. So I answered him that. He seemed cool with it, and did not issue me a ticket for doing 15 over on Douglas Blvd. near SE 15th.

    So, do they know, or not?
    When they run your personal info it shows up onscreen

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    19
    Does the SDA license information show up when the car tag is run or when the driver's license is run?

    The only LE contact I have had since I received my SDA license in the mid 1990s was when I was involved in a traffic accident a couple of years ago. Although I wasn't one of the drivers, I had very minor injuries. The officer asked for my DL and I gave him my ID case with my DL and SDA license. I was not armed. None of the officers said anything.
    Last edited by woodyrr; 11-07-2014 at 07:52 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2
    Hi all, I've been creeping on the forums for a while now but thought I would chime in. I open carry every time I leave the house if I can have it. I go to tinker a lot so can't there or at work. I've never had an issue so far. I do get some odd looks and people tend to give me a wide berth lol. We should definitely get an OC meet set up!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    I will continue to open carry everywhere it is allowed. We fought too long for it and I am proud to show my support. I have had only one negative comment and that was a Walmart employee who was quickly set straight on corporate policy. On the other side of the coin I have had literally hundreds of positive comments and questions about how to obtain a permit, what I am carrying, what you are allowed to carry, etc. At least here in Ponca City the response is overwhelmingly positive. I've dealt with city and county LE and they are always supportive. In fact I have seen their posture relax and their demeanor change dramatically when they are made aware of my CCW. They know then that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen and you can really see that it puts them more at ease.
    Excuse me for jumping in but you make a VERY good point that lots of people aren't aware of, that LEOs do favor law abiding CCL holders for that very reason. They know you've been trained, plus they know there are instances of armed citizens helping them out when they need it. This was reinforced by comments by the LE firearm instructors here in Texas. Good post!

    Life is good.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    5
    I OC when I can -- maybe it's the area or where you frequent, but I've never had an incident minor or otherwise. It's as though people don't really care or notice.
    I've been waiting (not eagerly mind you) for the time that I would have to deal with a situation but it has never happened (yet).
    That clerk that responded that way may have violated C 21_1362 or some such code of disturbing the peace. Any attorney on here know whether that is a potential?

    Keep CACO until it is accepted.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by papabling View Post
    ...LEOs do favor law abiding CCL holders for that very reason. They know you've been trained,...
    The personal feelings of LEOs, regardless how formed, do not excuse differences in professional behavior above what is authorized by law. The can personally grumble all they like about their assumption that someone might not be trained to some arbitrary standard (most of them not being trained sufficiently to my arbitrary standard), but if they treat people differently because of it, they are wrong.

    Yes, I realize the permit (and requisite arbitrary training) is required to OC in OK, but the point is valid.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-22-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •