• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quiet lately

Glock 1st fan

Back when Open Carry first passed you could not keep up with all the post flying off the shelf. Seems these days both OKOCA and the boards are very very quiet.

What happened to all the excitement?

JHART

I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.

Robert318

I have posted and shared some of my experiences over the last year, but don't post much here anymore, because I no longer open carry. I got my handgun license over a year ago, and from day one I open carried. I have come to realize that it is not a common way to carry. Over the last year I have seen one person utilizing this method for carry. I have endured many snide comments, looks, stares, pointing, whispering, people moving abruptly away from me, or jumping out of my way. In one instance, I could of got hurt or maybe worse, because of the exposed firearm. I went to an open register to pay for my item, and the clerk yelled out " He's got a gun!" He simultaneously threw his hands in the air, as if I was robbing him! Luckily no one in the immediate vicinity that witnessed it took any action.

I didn't realize that carrying a firearm openly would cause such a stir. I am a person that would rather go about my business undisturbed and not have to deal with all the attention to myself it causes, therefore I wisely cover up now.

I too have posted my experiences on several occasions, mostly all good experiences. I however refuse to let someone elses hurt feelings or ideals, or reactions dictate how I carry! If Im at work representing the company and on a customers property or at church not wanting to scare off the lost and misinformed then I conceal, but only because I feel I am a company or church representative and not for anyone else or because some people in general get butt hurt over the site of a gun. Any other time I typically always choose to open carry as opposed to conceal.

But though I disagree with your reasoning, I support everyone that chooses to take their safety seriously and that chooses to take their safety in their own hands.

cbxer55

I feel the same as you, and feel very uncomfortable open carrying. I have not seen one other person doing so since I joined this site, the exception being the monthly meets we used to have. Been a long time since we had one of them here locally. Seems all the action has moved up to the Tulsa area, and ain't no way I'm driving up that way for any reason. Last meet I went to, I had set it up at Ron's Hamburgers in MWC. That was a long time ago, have not seen any locally for well over a year, probably longer.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Funny story ! Should open carry again and proceed directly back to that business ...to post more funny stories based on fact.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can't fault those who choose not to because of the reactions. It's a bummer you are in a state that unconstitutionally made it illegal for so long that people don't realize it is supposed to be normal. I live in Nevada, where it has never been illegal, and while it went through a period where it was more rare, it never really went away before the resurgence. I've been doing it for 22 years and it's nice to see more and more.

Honestly, if I lived in Oklahoma, I don't know if I'd do it everywhere, either, if it became an issue. Only once, and recently, was I asked to leave a place in Nevada, and that was because of a rogue bartender who didn't know his corporate policy. It was corrected expediently.

As for a clerk that did something so horribly stupid as to feign panic, I would not let that slide. As you noted, that is so dangerous as to get you mistaken and possibly killed in someone's reaction. I would have had it corrected on the spot, and if attitudes didn't allow it, I would look into his employer or seeing about filing charges of disturbing the peace.

As with all civil rights movements, it requires lots of steam to pull away from a dead start when you haven't had the benefit of two centuries of inertia like the freer states. And like with other civil rights movements, there will be a lot more talk than action, especially when it comes to the civil rights of people that just want to be left alone in the first place.

okiephlyer

It is hard to not notice the quiet lately. I still OC primarily and still see others OC as well. I think that it is moving to the "not a big deal" stage where everyone knows about it and it is being more accepted. This is also a dangerous stage, because it gets people to complacency. I have never seen many OC, but they are still out there. Just last week saw a guy in the frozen food section of Walmart, proudly OC.
JHART and CBXER55, I would encourage you to stay strong and hang in there with OC. The more people see OC, the easier it gets and the more accepted it is. Either way, I fully support your decision.

hrdware

My routine takes me to the same places all the time. Making posts about, "I went to Taco Bell again with no issue", or "Stopped at the gas station/grocery store on the way home and no one cared", while important feel somewhat redundant. While I don't want negative reactions, I am much more inclined to post positive encounters than non-encounters.

Glock 1st fan

My routine takes me to the same places all the time. Making posts about, "I went to Taco Bell again with no issue", or "Stopped at the gas station/grocery store on the way home and no one cared", while important feel somewhat redundant. While I don't want negative reactions, I am much more inclined to post positive encounters than non-encounters.

I could not agree more. I strive for positive constructive post as well.

JHART

It is hard to not notice the quiet lately. I still OC primarily and still see others OC as well. I think that it is moving to the "not a big deal" stage where everyone knows about it and it is being more accepted. This is also a dangerous stage, because it gets people to complacency. I have never seen many OC, but they are still out there. Just last week saw a guy in the frozen food section of Walmart, proudly OC.
JHART and CBXER55, I would encourage you to stay strong and hang in there with OC. The more people see OC, the easier it gets and the more accepted it is. Either way, I fully support your decision.

Trust me Okiephler, I want to continue to proudly carry open. At first I was very proud! It made me feel free! For the most part it really is a non issue. Actually, when walking about and moving along whether it inside or out, I don't think a single person even notices. It's when the action stops like waiting in line to pay, waiting to be seated... etc. that people notice. I guess I have just had my fair share of off comments, looks, and remarks, that made me realize that others do not share the same enthusiasm as I do. Intellectually I agree with other comments I have seen such as, " It's not my problem you are offended and my gun scares you!" but when confronted or challenged as to why in the world am I carrying a gun, makes me very uncomfortable. If more people would do it and I saw even just a few, I think that would make a big difference. It seems as tho I am a lone wolf! I see no one else.

okiephlyer

Trust me Okiephler, I want to continue to proudly carry open. At first I was very proud! It made me feel free! For the most part it really is a non issue. Actually, when walking about and moving along whether it inside or out, I don't think a single person even notices. It's when the action stops like waiting in line to pay, waiting to be seated... etc. that people notice. I guess I have just had my fair share of off comments, looks, and remarks, that made me realize that others do not share the same enthusiasm as I do. Intellectually I agree with other comments I have seen such as, " It's not my problem you are offended and my gun scares you!" but when confronted or challenged as to why in the world am I carrying a gun, makes me very uncomfortable. If more people would do it and I saw even just a few, I think that would make a big difference. It seems as tho I am a lone wolf! I see no one else.

I can understand. The most negative comments I get on a regular basis are from the wife. Most of my time is spent in the BA/East Tulsa area and I have not encountered the off comments and looks, other than one mentioned here (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...rs&p=1979781&highlight=okiephlyer#post1979781) post#487.
By nature, I am not a confrontational person. If I received the negative looks/comments that you apparently have, I might reconsider as well. Hang in there.

websterz

I will continue to open carry everywhere it is allowed. We fought too long for it and I am proud to show my support. I have had only one negative comment and that was a Walmart employee who was quickly set straight on corporate policy. On the other side of the coin I have had literally hundreds of positive comments and questions about how to obtain a permit, what I am carrying, what you are allowed to carry, etc. At least here in Ponca City the response is overwhelmingly positive. I've dealt with city and county LE and they are always supportive. In fact I have seen their posture relax and their demeanor change dramatically when they are made aware of my CCW. They know then that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen and you can really see that it puts them more at ease.

cbxer55

Strange thing happened to me about that law enforcement. Last time I was stopped, the very first words out of the officers mouth were "are you armed Mr. Hill?" I didn't think they were supposes to know. I wasn't at the time because I had just gotten off work, and cannot carry where I work. So I answered him that. He seemed cool with it, and did not issue me a ticket for doing 15 over on Douglas Blvd. near SE 15th.

So, do they know, or not?

Glock 1st fan

Strange thing happened to me about that law enforcement. Last time I was stopped, the very first words out of the officers mouth were "are you armed Mr. Hill?" I didn't think they were supposes to know. I wasn't at the time because I had just gotten off work, and cannot carry where I work. So I answered him that. He seemed cool with it, and did not issue me a ticket for doing 15 over on Douglas Blvd. near SE 15th.

So, do they know, or not?

When they run your personal info it shows up onscreen

woodyrr

Does the SDA license information show up when the car tag is run or when the driver's license is run?

The only LE contact I have had since I received my SDA license in the mid 1990s was when I was involved in a traffic accident a couple of years ago. Although I wasn't one of the drivers, I had very minor injuries. The officer asked for my DL and I gave him my ID case with my DL and SDA license. I was not armed. None of the officers said anything.

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been creeping on the forums for a while now but thought I would chime in. I open carry every time I leave the house if I can have it. I go to tinker a lot so can't there or at work. I've never had an issue so far. I do get some odd looks and people tend to give me a wide berth lol. We should definitely get an OC meet set up!

papabling

I will continue to open carry everywhere it is allowed. We fought too long for it and I am proud to show my support. I have had only one negative comment and that was a Walmart employee who was quickly set straight on corporate policy. On the other side of the coin I have had literally hundreds of positive comments and questions about how to obtain a permit, what I am carrying, what you are allowed to carry, etc. At least here in Ponca City the response is overwhelmingly positive. I've dealt with city and county LE and they are always supportive. In fact I have seen their posture relax and their demeanor change dramatically when they are made aware of my CCW. They know then that they are dealing with a law abiding citizen and you can really see that it puts them more at ease.

Excuse me for jumping in but you make a VERY good point that lots of people aren't aware of, that LEOs do favor law abiding CCL holders for that very reason. They know you've been trained, plus they know there are instances of armed citizens helping them out when they need it. This was reinforced by comments by the LE firearm instructors here in Texas. Good post!

Life is good.

okvallier

I OC when I can -- maybe it's the area or where you frequent, but I've never had an incident minor or otherwise. It's as though people don't really care or notice.
I've been waiting (not eagerly mind you) for the time that I would have to deal with a situation but it has never happened (yet).
That clerk that responded that way may have violated C 21_1362 or some such code of disturbing the peace. Any attorney on here know whether that is a potential?

Keep CACO until it is accepted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...LEOs do favor law abiding CCL holders for that very reason. They know you've been trained,...

The personal feelings of LEOs, regardless how formed, do not excuse differences in professional behavior above what is authorized by law. The can personally grumble all they like about their assumption that someone might not be trained to some arbitrary standard (most of them not being trained sufficiently to my arbitrary standard), but if they treat people differently because of it, they are wrong.

Yes, I realize the permit (and requisite arbitrary training) is required to OC in OK, but the point is valid.

Last edited: