• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The State Department has its own black helicopters, right?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A government agent pounded on my, door, demanded that I confirm my identity, and then handed me the following*:

skidmark Household:

The Office of Passport Services, U.S. Department of State would like to better serve the Ameeican public's need fpr passport services in the coming months and years. [Do they know something that I don't about my future need for a passport?]

To do this we are conducting interviews ....

Your household was selected [couldn't they find a better word to use?] at random. [Yeah, sure.] In order for the results to be statisticall representative , it is important a person who is knowlegable about the travel habits of your household complete the survey. [Is it possible they are not sure and are looking for confirmation?]

Your participation, while voluntary [where have I heard that phrase before?] will be essential to the success of the study. This study is estimated to take less than 10 minutes of your time and there are 2 easy ways for you to participate.

Please do one of the following before November 12, 2014:

1) Go online at ......
Enter the passcode xxxxxxx
OR
2) Call 1-800-tappednumber
Please have the passcode available ....

We will give you a call if we do not hear from you.

(all bold in the original)

As I see it, I have three possible courses of action:
A) Apply for a passport (I don't have a valid one at the moment and am pretty sure the ones on sale over the internet for $25 will not stand up at a port of departure) and thus telegraph my travel plans to GTFOOD
B) Go online and enter my randomly-generated passcode that will not connect my name or other personal information with the responses I give [yeah, sure, and how much do you want for that ocean-front property in New Mexico?] and enter something like "99999" for every response
C) Wait for them to call me after November 12, 2014. If I choose this option, should I put a note on the door that it is unlocked so they won't risk hurting themselves splintering it open?

What I suggest is that everybody interested in divvying up my stuff meet and carpool down some convenient date after November 12, 2014. I'll leave the key to the safe under the rock next to the back door.

stay safe.

* - OK, the mail lady wanted me to sign for a certified package I was expecting, and handed me the rest of my mail.

davidmcbeth

Banned
How could he hand you anything? What? You opened your door?

Should have said "no comprendo englisha" and they would have left you alone.

Me? I don't open my doors to gov't officials of any type...let them pound and pound ...

I ate a sandwich from a window watching them while they pounded at my door once, waving at them friendly like...they went away.

I assume that they went home ... as they are directed to do everyday. Wise choice.

Last edited:

F350

Good one!

I was "invited" to fill out a "long form" census a while back and told that my TRUTHFUL answers were required on how many toilets I had, how far I drove to work etc etc etc.

I answered all non-enumeration questions truthfully with...

NOYFB (yes in caps with red Sharpie). Never heard from them again. In a scenario like yours my answers would likely be the same.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you want me to back my truck in for loading........................again :p

You will have to talk to the bretheren and sisteren about that. I'll be in some FEMA re-education camp learning how to hold my breath while someone pours water up my nose.

And no, you cannot come over early. Everybody gets an equal chance at getting my stuff.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Me? I don't open my doors to gov't officials of any type...let them pound and pound ...

I ate a sandwich from a window watching them while they pounded at my door once, waving at them friendly like...they went away.

I assume that they went home ... as they are directed to do everyday. Wise choice.

Asterisks are important.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You will have to talk to the bretheren and sisteren about that. I'll be in some FEMA re-education camp learning how to hold my breath while someone pours water up my nose.

And no, you cannot come over early. Everybody gets an equal chance at getting my stuff.

stay safe.
Was only offering a safe haven for your "stuff" until you are free from such harassment..........no matter how many years that may take :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Even in places far removed from the border, deep into the interior of the country, immigration officials enjoy broad—though not limitless—powers. Specifically, federal regulations give U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authority to operate within 100 miles of any U.S. "external boundary."
In this 100-mile zone, Border Patrol agents have certain extra-Constitutional powers. For instance, Border Patrol can operate immigration checkpoints.
Border Patrol, nevertheless, cannot pull anyone over without "reasonable suspicion" of an immigration violation or crime (reasonable suspicion is more than just a "hunch"). Similarly, Border Patrol cannot search vehicles in the 100-mile zone without a warrant or "probable cause" (a reasonable belief, based on the circumstances, that an immigration violation or crime has likely occurred).

https://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights-governments-100-mile-border-zone-map

1 - It's the State Department, not Homeland Security. Said so right at the beginning. Pay attention. Wonderful thread drift there.

2 - Right under my avatar it says I'm in Richmond, Va. Never did anything to suggest that was not accurate. The James River being a navigatable river there are ships arriving at The Port of Richmond from all over. We have CBP there, as well as at RIR (Richmond International Airport) because, well because it is an international airport. It's going to be diffiult to be outside that 100-mile zone when my place is less than a mile from the last bend in the river before ships straighten out to enter the port.

You are being sent back to repeat 6th Grade U.S. Geography. Please try to stay awake and pay attention this time, OK? ;)

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Was only offering a safe haven for your "stuff" until you are free from such harassment..........no matter how many years that may take :)

I'm headed for a FEMA re-education camp and he's offering to hold my stuff till I get out. Suuure!

Watch out for him, folks. He's trying to get a head start. He's always coveted the stuff at the drive-thru ammo window and probably thinks this will be his chance to get his hands on it.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was at the Virginia Power Boat Association (4051 Old Gun Rd) on Sunday afternoon - it is on the waters of the James River. Never been there before so didn't realize that the James twisted and turned that deep into Midlothian.

Didn't see any black helicopters though.

ak56

Campaign Veteran

In that case they would have handed you a voters pamphlet.