Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carrier Arrested at Polling Place

Open Carrier Arrested at Polling Place

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Sounds like the sheriff is the only one actually guilty of the crime for which he arrested Kennedy. This will play out well in the end.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Good on Kennedy for being a martyr to get some case law in place so that this can't happen in the future. The code they are charging him with is so irrelevant it's almost laughable.

Section 17-17-33, titled "Obstruction, intimidation, etc., of voting rights of others."

"It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct, intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he or she may choose, or for the purpose of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for state or local office or any other proposition at any election. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty, upon conviction, of a Class A misdemeanor."

And here's another tidbit from the article:

Alabama's election codes including 17-17-1, which states: "An elector must not be arrested during attendance at elections, or while going to or returning therefrom, except for treason, felony, or breach of the peace or for a violation on that day of any of the provisions of the election law."

If I were a lawyer I'd take this one on pro-bono.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    --snipped--
    If I were a lawyer I'd take this one on pro-bono.
    Would prefer that you were the judge than an attorney on the case
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    "Our goal is to allow every registered voter in Shelby County the right to vote in an influence-free environment," Sheriff Chris Curry said in the statement last week. "Voting is a constitutional right and it is our job to facilitate the process effectively and efficiently.

Just like the police where I exercised my free speech this morning at a polling place ... and a cop showed up trying to arrest me ... without success.

1st amendment, 2nd amendment ~ only exist if we demand it to

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    "Our goal is to allow every registered voter in Shelby County the right to vote in an influence-free environment," Sheriff Chris Curry said in the statement last week. "Voting is a constitutional right and it is our job to facilitate the process effectively and efficiently.

Just like the police where I exercised my free speech this morning at a polling place ... and a cop showed up trying to arrest me ... without success.

1st amendment, 2nd amendment ~ only exist if we demand it to
    Video?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Would prefer that you were the judge than an attorney on the case
    I see what you did there...

You should merge these two threads. Dude crossposted it in Alabama too.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Threads merged.

"(7) NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums."
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Interesting how the sheriff added his own word "influence" ("Every voter has the protection under law to cast his/her ballot without interruption, influence, or hindrance." ), as apposed to what the law actually says "It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct, intimidate, threaten, or coerce..."

This shat is out of control. In another incident a guy wearing an NRA hat was made to take it off in order to vote.

Do we have a right not to be influenced?

"I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I predict this will be our OCDO case of the year. Was he also a member here?
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-04-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Interesting how the sheriff added his own word "influence" ("Every voter has the protection under law to cast his/her ballot without interruption, influence, or hindrance." ), as apposed to what the law actually says "It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct, intimidate, threaten, or coerce..."

This shat is out of control. In another incident a guy wearing an NRA hat was made to take it off in order to vote.

Do we have a right not to be influenced?

I do believe that being influenced against one's will is called "coercion" as should be illegal at all polling locations!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I do believe that being influenced against one's will is called "coercion" as should be illegal at all polling locations!
    Influence is not at all the same as coercion. I'll help you out:

Example #1. Your not sure who you are going to vote for. You see your buddy in line at the polls. He says "Hey JoeSparky. How's the family? I've voting for the incumbent. How about you?" You tell him your not sure.
    When you get to the booth you decide if it good enough for your buddy it's good enough for you. You were influenced.

Example #2. You go to vote and some guy in a dark sun glasses and a Carrot Top wig says "Hey you. If you don't vote for the Republican I'm going to kill you." You guessed it! Coercion.

The way the laws are is absurd and draconian. The idea that someone wearing a Democrat button or hat or passing out Green Party cookies somehow forces you against your will to act a certain way is
    is beyond stupid. Restricting someone's freedom of speech on the idea that people should be able to be completely free from influence is along the same lines as restricting OC because is makes people feel scared.
    Hell if your undecided you might be influenced if one of the election officials is wearing a blue or red shirt. What retardery.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

That **** sheriff knew better and went done did it anyway. Well, ya play stupid games, ya get stupid prizes. It is unfortunate that the **** deputy went along with the sheriff...voluntarily mind you.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-05-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Facts please w/o name calling
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Influence is not at all the same as coercion. I'll help you out:

Example #1. Your not sure who you are going to vote for. You see your buddy in line at the polls. He says "Hey JoeSparky. How's the family? I've voting for the incumbent. How about you?" You tell him your not sure.
    When you get to the booth you decide if it good enough for your buddy it's good enough for you. You were influenced.

Example #2. You go to vote and some guy in a dark sun glasses and a Carrot Top wig says "Hey you. If you don't vote for the Republican I'm going to kill you." You guessed it! Coercion.

The way the laws are is absurd and draconian. The idea that someone wearing a Democrat button or hat or passing out Green Party cookies somehow forces you against your will to act a certain way is
    is beyond stupid. Restricting someone's freedom of speech on the idea that people should be able to be completely free from influence is along the same lines as restricting OC because is makes people feel scared.
    Hell if your undecided you might be influenced if one of the election officials is wearing a blue or red shirt. What retardery.
    Me 'thinks' you missed reading but included it in your quote of my statement the part related to "against ones will"

And when a uniformed officer of the law charges one for not violating the law as it is written and takes one to jail for the act of attempting to vote will a lawfully carried and holstered firearm on ones person---- sure seems like somebody is attempting to 'coerce' or 'influence' against ones will by enforcing opinion instead of law.

Sorry my humor was missed! Didn't mean to send it over your head!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 11-05-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Code of Alabama 1975

Section 13A-6-25

Criminal coercion.

(a) A person commits the crime of criminal coercion if, without legal authority, he threatens to confine, restrain or to cause physical injury to the threatened person or another, or to damage the property or reputation of the threatened person or another with intent thereby to induce the threatened person or another against his will to do an unlawful act or refrain from doing a lawful act.

(b) Criminal coercion is a Class A misdemeanor.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, 2125.)

Me 'thinks' you missed reading but included it in your quote of my statement the part related to "against ones will"

And when a uniformed officer of the law charges one for not violating the law as it is written and takes one to jail for the act of attempting to vote will a lawfully carried and holstered firearm on ones person---- sure seems like somebody is attempting to 'coerce' or 'influence' against ones will by enforcing opinion instead of law.

Sorry my humor was missed! Didn't mean to send it over your head!
    Sorry guess I missed it. I'm a lil amp up still about the NRA hat thing at the polls in Georgia.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Video?
    No video, just audio. And I'm getting records of the police incident report. If you want them pm me with your contact info.

Banned
    We should all stand out in front of polling places with a sign that says :

INS Checkpoint and Polling Place Inside

"Each polling location in Shelby County will have a 'No Firearm' sign posted at the entrance of the precinct, at the requests of the private property owner or governing body of the property. This will be enforced in accordance with Alabama law," the Sheriff's Office said in a statement last week.
    If these signs prove effective why don't they just put up "No murder allowed" at all schools, malls, colleges, etc to eliminate the mass murders?

Each polling location in Shelby County will have a 'No Firearm' sign posted at the entrance of the precinct, at the requests of the private property owner or governing body of the property. This will be enforced in accordance with Alabama law," the Sheriff's Office said in a statement last week.
    Really? Every one of them requested it?

So you don't waive private property rights when you volunteer to become a public polling place? Can you stop someone from coming on to your property to vote if you don't like their style of dress? Because you can if they are coming in for your business.

Not only is the sheriff breaking the law here, but I also think he's a moron.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    We should all stand out in front of polling places with a sign that says :

INS Checkpoint and Polling Place Inside
    Those are easy to deal with: produce your passport or passport card. Instantly erase RAS, PC, or IC.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

So you don't waive private property rights when you volunteer to become a public polling place? Can you stop someone from coming on to your property to vote if you don't like their style of dress? Because you can if they are coming in for your business.

good points

Sometimes MAC, you make so much sense I don't think most people even understand a single sentence you type.

μολὼν λαβέ

I predict this will be our OCDO case of the year. Was he also a member here?
    Yes MAC702 I am a member here...Here are some links to stories from Al.com about the continuing battle with the Republican Authoritarians that hold office iIn Shelby Counrty Alabama.. the stories are in chronicle order, last to first. There are other media sources that have reported on the issue..

Shelby County is the richest and most republican country in the state..

Makes the statement, "Republicans Protect your Gun rights" an oxymoron.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    'I was not going to surrender a right to exercise a right,' Pelham voter says about arrest

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...rrender_a.html
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Shelby County keeping ban on firearms in its buildings; waiting for legislative action

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in..._ban_on_f.html
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Gun-rights group founder continues to challenge Shelby County government's ban on firearms

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...der_conti.html
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Shelby County government defending ban on guns in its public buildings

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...ent_prepa.html
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Attorney General Strange faces tough questions from sheriffs on permits, guns at polls

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...nge_faces.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Does voting with a gun in Alabama merit a Bill of Rights award? A Tennessee group thinks so

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...deserving.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Alabaster man disarms to vote at church after encounter with sheriff's deputies

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...s_to_vote.html
    Shelby County's attorney supports sheriff's ability to ban weapons at polling sites

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...ey_suppor.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ballots and bullets: Counties cannot issue blanket ban of firearms at polling places, Luther Strange says

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...ion_count.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Shelby County's ban on guns at voting sites is discussion topic at commission meeting

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...n_guns_at.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Shelby County receives three reports of guns at polling locations today

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/06/...s_at_leas.html
    Guns allowed in polling places? Chambers County says yes

http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/in...ng_places.html

"Each polling location in Shelby County will have a 'No Firearm' sign posted at the entrance of the precinct, at the requests of the private property owner ***** or ***** governing body of the property."

Placing a polling location on restricted private property that is allowed to place restrictions on who enters the property constitutes voter obstruction in itself.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-09-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Rule #19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast