• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry group

poetdante

I have a thread in the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus area but thought I'd let the folks here know about our progress.

I'm starting a student group at UofL (chapters of the national Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, UK and EKU have chapters already) for CC on campus, be it by policy change or law change.

Last month I contacted the editor of the school newspaper and had an interview.

http://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2014/11/student-group-lobbies-for-concealed-firearms-on-campus/

What are your all's thoughts?

If this is not appropriate here because this topic is being discussed elsewhere already then I understand if it is locked/removed.

KySIGGuy

I personally like the article. Admittedly, I did get a chuckle when I read that you had received 60 signatures, “mostly from freshmen”. Gotta love the freshmen. They'll sign anything (or at least they did when I started college years ago). It was a good article and I do think your statements were good. Not too much, but definitely enough to get the point across. If I were faculty at UofL, I would happily be your group's advisor. Best of luck to you. Cheers!

neuroblades

I'm really glad to hear that U of L students are getting on the band wagon with this movement as are UK & EKU students. I have talked to a few college students about this over the years but most are either afraid to throw their hat in the ring or just "don't see the point in it". I'd really like to see this happen on the BSCTC campuses in Eastern Kentucky as well but for whatever reason they don't seem to be interested in doing so.

poetdante

Want the contact info for the Leadership Institute rep that got me involved?

And yes, we are making progress. You dont have to be a student at uofl to join so if anyone would tell other students at the local colleges we would appreciate it.

I am very curious about the stats though. I was told the poll would be done by one of the paper's staff by asking their fraternity/sorority members during in a day. Surprising so many knew what was conveyed as I had to explain a lot of the policy and law and perspectives before most of those 60 folks signed

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does the OP believe that the policy is legal is the first question...he must because he is seeking it to be changed.

Once you start talking about permits etc you are agreeing that the corporation has control over you on the subject matter.

poetdante

Does the OP believe that the policy is legal is the first question...he must because he is seeking it to be changed.

Once you start talking about permits etc you are agreeing that the corporation has control over you on the subject matter.

The policy IS legal. It has been taken up with the court (discussed during the 2012 Supreme court hearing about the UK student and having a weapon in his car), there is a specific KRS (237.115(1)) allowing the policy, and the attorney general has given an official opinion (OAG 96-40) in response to folks questioning the legality of having a public university prohibit legal CC. We recognize the law as it stands, needing a license to CC in KY and maybe in the future that will change. But for now, we are trying to change the policy, be it by UofL's own volition or by a change in KRS 237.115 (1)

Last edited:

neuroblades

Got 20 members. Faculty advisor (hopefully. Lost contact over holidays) Pretty much ready for submission this month

Been over on the KC4 FB page reading up on things that have been posted. Sounds like you folks are off to good start unless the Dean starts to fight back with threats and intimidation.

poetdante

Thanks. Gotta get ahold of KC3 to see if they can offer advice. I know I know gutshot, I havent turned in my application yet (found it thinking I had submitted it last year) and your advice alone has been without measure of value :)