• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is handgun 'open carry' safer for me than 'concealed carry'?

The Truth

Personally, I would tend to disagree with these - I CC a Sig P229DAK in .357Sig (12+1) and it conceals just fine with a Galco V-Hawk IWB holster. My P239 conceals a bit better, being single stack, and aside from a few less rounds, is every bit as comfortable and effective as the P229.

Don't mean to thread hijack here, but real quick question... how would you compare the DAK to the DA/SA? I have a P229 DA/SA and love it. It seems like mostly LE carry the DAK trigger.

papabling

Since you're from TX: How could you know that OCing causes the public to "freak out" or "startles" a LEO?

The former barely notice, if at all; the latter are *usually* aware of the law, including OC laws.

Do, where's the problem?

I'm actually 'from' Oklahoma but I live in Texas. I hope there won't be problems after Texas passes an OC law but based on what I read in the news from OC states, there are public and LEO problems with OC. You can see these reports if you Google or Bing keywords like: 'legal open carry arrests'. There's a high noise level and some of this news is a result of carrying a long gun in public (protests, etc.). Carrying anything other than a handgun for defense doesn't make sense to me.

Life is good.

B

Bikenut

I'm actually 'from' Oklahoma but I live in Texas. I hope there won't be problems after Texas passes an OC law but based on what I read in the news from OC states, there are public and LEO problems with OC. You can see these reports if you Google or Bing keywords like: 'legal open carry arrests'. There's a high noise level and some of this news is a result of carrying a long gun in public (protests, etc.). Carrying anything other than a handgun for defense doesn't make sense to me.

Life is good.
About the part of your post I put in bold...

It is ... the right to bear arms.... for each and every one of us. Doesn't matter if I, or you, consider someone carrying a certain "arm" in a certain way does/doesn't make sense to you or me it still is the ... right to bear arms.... so how, why, when, where, and what, someone else exercises that right is not my, or your, business.

Of course we all have our opinions about which arms we personally consider to be "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" but that opinion should only matter to how, when, where, why, and what, we personally for our individual selves bear arms.... and we should never expect or demand others to have their right to bear arms restricted to our personal opinion.

If you don't think it is "reasonable" to bear anything other than a handgun? Then don't carry anything other than a handgun ....but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" by carrying something other than a handgun.

If you don't think it is "appropriate" to bear arms any reason other than self defense? Then don't carry for any reason other than self defense.... but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" by carrying for the purposes of self defense AND exercising their right to free speech to make a political statement.

If you don't think it is "acceptable" to carry a gun for the purpose of creating opportunities to educate the public that they have the right to bear arms and that it is legal to do so? Then don't carry hoping to have the chance to show others that carrying is not only their right but is also legal..... but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" AND their right to free speech in the hopes of educating folks about the right to bear arms.

I'm not saying you personally want others to only bear arms of a certain kind in a certain way only in certain places for just certain reasons that fit your personal opinion(s)...... I'm saying none of us has any right to restrict the rights of others just because they aren't exercising their right according to our personal opinion of what is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".

Actually... it is the anti gunner who considers restricting the right to bear arms "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" as long as they are the ones who get to say what, when, where, how, and why, is "UNreasonable", "INappropriate", and "UNacceptable".

And,quite frankly, any gun owner who wishes to restrict the right to bear arms in ways that are less than an outright ban or an outright ban according to their personal standard of "reasonableness", "appropriateness", and "acceptableness" are... in my opinion... also anti gunners because they share the same mind set of wanting be the ones who get to say where/when it is "UNreasonable" to carry, what is "INappropriate" to carry, and what/when/where/why/and even how it is "UNacceptable" to carry.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
..and if I could legally 'open carry' I would only choose venues where it would NOT freak out the public. Freaking out the public or startling an LEO is not cool!

Welcome to OCDO.
I do not understand what you want of us. This is an open carry site, not a concealed forum. Why would you not ask the question of holster to the concealed community instead of the group that, as a rule, openly carry their firearms?

If you do not wish to "upset" people or make them "uncomfortable" just stay home and watch tv. If you wish to enjoy life, strap it on, forget about it, and go about your life. It seems as though the person that is upset about OC is yourself. Get over it and live your life.

papabling

About the part of your post I put in bold...

It is ... the right to bear arms.... for each and every one of us. Doesn't matter if I, or you, consider someone carrying a certain "arm" in a certain way does/doesn't make sense to you or me it still is the ... right to bear arms.... so how, why, when, where, and what, someone else exercises that right is not my, or your, business.

Of course we all have our opinions about which arms we personally consider to be "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" but that opinion should only matter to how, when, where, why, and what, we personally for our individual selves bear arms.... and we should never expect or demand others to have their right to bear arms restricted to our personal opinion.

If you don't think it is "reasonable" to bear anything other than a handgun? Then don't carry anything other than a handgun ....but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" by carrying something other than a handgun.

If you don't think it is "appropriate" to bear arms any reason other than self defense? Then don't carry for any reason other than self defense.... but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" by carrying for the purposes of self defense AND exercising their right to free speech to make a political statement.

If you don't think it is "acceptable" to carry a gun for the purpose of creating opportunities to educate the public that they have the right to bear arms and that it is legal to do so? Then don't carry hoping to have the chance to show others that carrying is not only their right but is also legal..... but kindly do not disparage those who exercise their right to bear "arms" AND their right to free speech in the hopes of educating folks about the right to bear arms.

I'm not saying you personally want others to only bear arms of a certain kind in a certain way only in certain places for just certain reasons that fit your personal opinion(s)...... I'm saying none of us has any right to restrict the rights of others just because they aren't exercising their right according to our personal opinion of what is "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable".

Actually... it is the anti gunner who considers restricting the right to bear arms "reasonable", "appropriate", and "acceptable" as long as they are the ones who get to say what, when, where, how, and why, is "UNreasonable", "INappropriate", and "UNacceptable".

And,quite frankly, any gun owner who wishes to restrict the right to bear arms in ways that are less than an outright ban or an outright ban according to their personal standard of "reasonableness", "appropriateness", and "acceptableness" are... in my opinion... also anti gunners because they share the same mind set of wanting be the ones who get to say where/when it is "UNreasonable" to carry, what is "INappropriate" to carry, and what/when/where/why/and even how it is "UNacceptable" to carry.

Wow. Long speech and some good points. But I'm not degrading (disparaging) anything or anyone, especially the rights given us by the Constitution. But like I said in my post, personally (to me) it doesn't make sense to carry around a long gun for defensive (personal protection). In Texas, we just need a new law to allow open carry of a handgun.

Life is good.

papabling

Welcome to OCDO.
I do not understand what you want of us. This is an open carry site, not a concealed forum. Why would you not ask the question of holster to the concealed community instead of the group that, as a rule, openly carry their firearms?

If you do not wish to "upset" people or make them "uncomfortable" just stay home and watch tv. If you wish to enjoy life, strap it on, forget about it, and go about your life. It seems as though the person that is upset about OC is yourself. Get over it and live your life.

Nope! Your assumptions appear to be off. If I could legally open carry a handgun, I certainly would do it. Also if this is strictly an 'open carry' forum, why do I see ads for concealed carry holsters? Just curious.

Life is good.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Wow. Long speech and some good points. But I'm not degrading (disparaging) anything or anyone, especially the rights given us by the Constitution. But like I said in my post, personally (to me) it doesn't make sense to carry around a long gun for defensive (personal protection). In Texas, we just need a new law to allow open carry of a handgun.

Life is good.
You don't need a law to allow OC, you need to repeal a law that makes it illegal. Laws tell you what you can't do, not what you can do.

FTG-05

Life is good.

Oh ok, so you get your information about "legal open carry" from the news media. Which gets back to my main point: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Getting your information about open carry from the news media or youtube is about as good as getting good pro-gun information from the mainstream media and just as foolhardy.

Have a nice day.

solus

If you are OCing a Glock...I suggest CCing. I'd "feel" safer when I don't see a Glock.

OMGoodness...something we actually can agree on...make today a holiday of sorts....++++1

oh, forgot, now my life is good!!

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think the military were just beginning to use a Browning semiauto. The only 'permit' I knew about was the deer tag/hunting license. Thanks again for the reply.

Life is good.

The standard issue for the military long before the 50's has been the colt 1911 even through they still issued a lot of revolvers.

papabling

Oh ok, so you get your information about "legal open carry" from the news media. Which gets back to my main point: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Getting your information about open carry from the news media or youtube is about as good as getting good pro-gun information from the mainstream media and just as foolhardy.

Have a nice day.

..so where do you recommend I get non-foolhardy information about legal open carry? This forum? And how can I be sure you "know what you're talking about?"

So far I can't rate replies to my posts here very high. Some flames, questions and wordsmithing, but not much positive and constructive to learn about legal open carry experiences.

The Truth

..so where do you recommend I get non-foolhardy information about legal open carry? This forum? And how can I be sure you "know what you're talking about?"

So far I can't rate replies to my posts here very high. Some flames, questions and wordsmithing, but not much positive and constructive to learn about legal open carry experiences.

You're more than welcome to focus on statements you are unsure about and ask for a *CITE TO AUTHORITY. That's a rule on this forum. If someone makes a statement pertaining to statutory law, case law, common law, etc., it is their responsibility to cite the law itself.

That being said, which comments are you confused about? You're in TX so you are not allowed to OC other than a long gun, which is considered off topic on this forum.

WalkingWolf

You're more than welcome to focus on statements you are unsure about and ask for a *CITE TO AUTHORITY. That's a rule on this forum. If someone makes a statement pertaining to statutory law, case law, common law, etc., it is their responsibility to cite the law itself.

That being said, which comments are you confused about? You're in TX so you are not allowed to OC other than a long gun, which is considered off topic on this forum.

He can OC a handgun as long as it is a antique or antique replica.

Kopis

..and if I could legally 'open carry' I would only choose venues where it would NOT freak out the public. Freaking out the public or startling an LEO is not cool!

I ride a fast , loud sport bike. Many people are scared of it... Does that mean I shouldn't ride something I enjoy because of other peoples perceptions of it?

J_dazzle23

I ride a fast , loud sport bike. Many people are scared of it... Does that mean I shouldn't ride something I enjoy because of other peoples perceptions of it?
Heck, for that matter, I'm a 6'5" 275 lb guy that gets asked 2x a week if I play college football. Should I not be allowed to go to the gym in a tank top because I may be intimidating and scary to some people?

Should I be legally required to lose weight and stop lifting because I look scary to a 5'1" 100 lb woman?

Primus

Heck, for that matter, I'm a 6'5" 275 lb guy that gets asked 2x a week if I play college football. Should I not be allowed to go to the gym in a tank top because I may be intimidating and scary to some people?

Should I be legally required to lose weight and stop lifting because I look scary to a 5'1" 100 lb woman?
Yes.

Do you have a permit for those guns? :D

stealthyeliminator

I think so. Some reasons (for debate of course) are:

Enables carrying a handgun:

- With a frame size that fits the hand better than a tiny CC gun.
- Chambered for a more effective (larger) load than a tiny CC gun.
- With more shot accuracy than a CC gun.
- That is more controllable when drawing. Eliminates fumbling with a concealed holster - in the wasteband, pocket, etc.

I'm in Texas now and can't legally 'open carry' unless on private property that allows it, but I grew up in Oklahoma (long time ago)
and never had a problem carrying a gun in a holster in plain site.

What do you think?

I think it's largely subjective and very dependent on the carrier's physical characteristics. I believe I personally prefer OWB carry for several reasons, some of which you have listed, and concealed carry using an OWB holster is not a viable option for me. I do believe that in my circumstances, open carry would be generally more safe for me to do than concealed carry.