• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor elect day after election reiterates that he will sign an open carry bill

stealthyeliminator

Texas needs an OC bill??? I thought Texas would have constitutional Carry from the beginning of the Republic.

A general handgun prohibition was created in Texas shortly after the civil war and has been in effect ever since. There are very few, rarely used exceptions to the prohibition. More recently a concealed handgun licensing scheme was introduced that allows a person to carry concealed only, with restrictions, after going through expensive "training" (nearly worthless unless you have an instructor that goes above and beyond requirements) and purchasing the expensive license.

It's crazy, I know. It's Texas. People think our state is so "gun-friendly"

The Truth

A general handgun prohibition was created in Texas shortly after the civil war and has been in effect ever since. There are very few, rarely used exceptions to the prohibition. More recently a concealed handgun licensing scheme was introduced that allows a person to carry concealed only, with restrictions, after going through expensive "training" (nearly worthless unless you have an instructor that goes above and beyond requirements) and purchasing the expensive license.

It continues to blow my mind on a daily basis.

77zach

The neocons will not let rightful OC (unlicensed) come to pass. At least not before licensed OC. I'd like to be proved wrong, of course. Get rid of the signage law and restore unlicensed OC and Texas will actually deserve it's reputation as a pro gun state.

KBCraig

As I just replied to another thread:

"A state like Texas" is mostly propaganda, not reality.

It's easy for one of the constitutionally weakest governors in the country to brag about legislation over which he has no control. It's something else entirely for such braggadocio to become reality.

I've been following this for 20 years (19 of which I was a Texas resident, before there was even legal concealed carry in "a state like Texas").

Constitutional carry will never see the light of day in Texas. The only bills that might make it through the legislature (via the gatekeepers at TSRA) will be either licensed OC, or unlicensed OC with CHLers not allowed to OC in urban areas. Expect no protection from any "no guns" signs, even those not 30.06-compliant; that means a Class A misdemeanor for "criminal trespass while in possession of a deadly weapon", and loss of CHL (if licensed) for about 7 years. The power brokers will talk a good game about supporting OC, while warning that 30.06 signs will go up everywhere, restricting their precious government-permitted concealed carry.

The only solution for Texas, which I rate somewhere south of a snowball's chance in hell, is to nuke PC Chapter 46, entirely.

I shook the Texas dust from my feet a year ago, and happily OC in complete freedom now. And even when I CC, it's with a printed sheet of paper that I don't even have to carry, but was issued for $10 within 48 hours of dropping off my application.

jsimmons

I have no doubt that Abbott will sign an OC bill, but before he can sign one, the legistlature has to vote on it, and I'm not sure that will ever happen. We don't just need open carry, we need CONSTITUTIONAL carry, like Arizona has.

If I recall, Perry also said he'd sign an open carry bill, but he never saw one on his desk...

stealthyeliminator

As I just replied to another thread:

"A state like Texas" is mostly propaganda, not reality.

It's easy for one of the constitutionally weakest governors in the country to brag about legislation over which he has no control. It's something else entirely for such braggadocio to become reality.

I've been following this for 20 years (19 of which I was a Texas resident, before there was even legal concealed carry in "a state like Texas").

Constitutional carry will never see the light of day in Texas. The only bills that might make it through the legislature (via the gatekeepers at TSRA) will be either licensed OC, or unlicensed OC with CHLers not allowed to OC in urban areas. Expect no protection from any "no guns" signs, even those not 30.06-compliant; that means a Class A misdemeanor for "criminal trespass while in possession of a deadly weapon", and loss of CHL (if licensed) for about 7 years. The power brokers will talk a good game about supporting OC, while warning that 30.06 signs will go up everywhere, restricting their precious government-permitted concealed carry.

The only solution for Texas, which I rate somewhere south of a snowball's chance in hell, is to nuke PC Chapter 46, entirely.

I shook the Texas dust from my feet a year ago, and happily OC in complete freedom now. And even when I CC, it's with a printed sheet of paper that I don't even have to carry, but was issued for $10 within 48 hours of dropping off my application.

Aw come on. Don't be such a pessimist :p

I haven't been watching this for 20 years but I think the TSRA's days are numbered at this point, at least as far as being any sort of gatekeepers. They've been exposed to too many passionate people this time.

qednick

The biggest obstacle last two sessions has been the RINO speaker of the house Joe Strauss. I don't believe Texas has ever had the same speaker for more than two terms...so I'm really hoping that he doesn't set a record.

I have no doubts that the new Gov and Lt. Gov support OC whole-heartedly. It's really a case of actually getting a bill to the votes--which I believe would pass easily.

I would no doubt prefer constitutional carry for Texas but I think we would be most likely looking at licensed OC for now. If we can get that this session, we have a good chance of constitutional carry next time around.

Law abider

So your sheriffs won't stand up to and fulfill their oath? Or they don't take the oath anymore there. What is an oath in Texas now?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Jeesh .. the guy said he supports open carry .. you should call him and thank him...and tell him to continue the course and do everything in his power to make it a reality !

(w/o permits of course)

Cowthief

Cops in Texas

Hello.

When the idea of concealed carry was brought out, most cops were against it.
A lot of the religious right were not all that supportive.
Democrats were, and are, against the entire idea, and are pro marijuana (cannabis)
Ann Richards won the governorship after Clayton Williams made the statement about rape.
With that said, I would like to point out the changes in Texas.
Wendy Davis is clear cut evidence that the idea of a female governor is dead, at least for the time being.
Even Wendy Davis did not say she would support legal cannabis, only that she would consider it if a bill were presented.
She got Willie Nelson to "divorce" himself from her campaign.
MOST Texans do not trust the police, documented fact.
Most Texans are not against cannabis, but if given a choice between Open Carry and "weed", they will take Open Carry.
Gregg Abbott was banking on that.
Gregg Abbott won, based on a calculated risk.
2 lawmakers have already prepared bills for open carry.
There is a rumbling on some sort of legal cannabis.
But, the public in Texas have made it clear, they want Open Carry.
Simply put, want to stay in office? you NEED the votes!
Quite simply, right now, if having a police, or having the sheriff take over law enforcement? if that were put to a vote, the police would be gone.
So, with this in mind, I am expecting Open Carry.
If it is "Constitutional Carry" or permit carry is at this point the only question.
In 2 months we will know.
Thank you.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Hello.

Democrats were, and are, against the entire idea, and are pro marijuana (cannabis)
Ann Richards won the governorship after Clayton Williams made the statement about rape.
With that said, I would like to point out the changes in Texas.
Wendy Davis is clear cut evidence that the idea of a female governor is dead, at least for the time being.
Even Wendy Davis did not say she would support legal cannabis, only that she would consider it if a bill were presented.
She got Willie Nelson to "divorce" himself from her campaign.
MOST Texans do not trust the police, documented fact.
Most Texans are not against cannabis, but if given a choice between Open Carry and "weed", they will take Open Carry.
Gregg Abbott was banking on that.
Gregg Abbott won, based on a calculated risk.
2 lawmakers have already prepared bills for open carry.
There is a rumbling on some sort of legal cannabis.
But, the public in Texas have made it clear, they want Open Carry.
Simply put, want to stay in office? you NEED the votes!
Quite simply, right now, if having a police, or having the sheriff take over law enforcement? if that were put to a vote, the police would be gone.
So, with this in mind, I am expecting Open Carry.
If it is "Constitutional Carry" or permit carry is at this point the only question.
In 2 months we will know.
Thank you.

As excited as we all are, this is not a slam dunk yet as you make it out to be.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
""The day after the election, Greg Abbott reiterates that he will sign an open carry bill if it reaches his desk." -- stealthyeliminator

Yes, but Governor Perry has said that very same thing...but he never DID anything to help GET a bill to his desk. Just TALKED about it, and only ONCE (TMK). No calling people in the State Legislature, no pushing for it. Nothing. Old LBJ didn't mind twisting arms to get bills HE wanted, did he...so what's up with pansy Perry? I hope Abbott has more grit.

So I hope Abbott HELPS get an OC bill to his desk, but makes it clear that he doesn't want just ANY OC bill. Meaning, I hope he doesn't sign a BAD bill just to say he did what he has said he would do and then move on.

I don't know how much of a "gun guy" Abbott is, so I don't know if he is aware of the concerns expressed/debated here (and other TX gun forums) about a good OC bill vs. a bad (restrictive/watered-down) bill.

One of you guys in TX -- or a TX pro-gun organization -- please write Abbott and let him know what he SHOULD be signing and consider any OC bill he gets carefully -- so he can THINK about this issue NOW, BEFORE he gets ANY OC bill on his desk...and send anything back that needs "fixing" even if he has to veto it to GET it fixed. He should still say he wants to sign a OC bill into law, but NOT something too restrictive ("too restrictive" to be defined by you people in Texas, not us non-Texans here) and he's vetoing anything less so it can be improved/reworked so he then CAN sign it.

No more *****-footing around for gosh sakes: All the states around TX have OC, so the last thing needed is a restrictive OC bill passed -- by "restrictive" what *I* mean is OK's OC law, which only allows OC if you have a permit (like it is in OR also, IIRC). What Texans really should get is AT LEAST the ability to OC like residents of NM, AZ, CO, LA: All of which are NOT tied to a CC permit.

I know all that has been discussed here (sorry for the repetition/rehashing of some of this), but I'm just saying it might be better for him to NOT sign the first OC bill that comes to his desk -- if it's too restrictive, and STILL requires permission (a permit) to exercise it.

I don't know why TX can't "leap" into the 21st Century -- having been a follower so far vs. being a leader in the OC "movement" -- but IMO, it should AT LEAST catch-up with the states around it (except OK, as mentioned). I fear if TX gets OC attached to a CC permit, it may be YEARS before that can be changed to NO connection to a CC permit. Constitutional Carry would be best, of course, but I don't hear Abbott saying THAT at all -- has he even used those 2 words, ever? Is he afraid to? He shouldn't be. What's wrong with having a Governor on the more "aggressive" no-nonsense side (like arm-twisting LBJ)?

Abbott COULD start talking about it, and COULD call for Constitutional Carry and push for it big-time NOW. But he hasn't (TMK) so I'm not sure how "pro-gun" he really is.

If Abbott is REALLY pro-OC, however, then he should be aware of and clear in his own mind what kind of OC bill he wants to see on his desk. Let the bill's sponsors know. If Abbott isn't clear on what he wants to see, then someone needs to get him up to speed. Now. Constitutional Carry MIGHT be too much at this time, but I see NO reason to accept OC tied to a CC permit presently in 2014 (and soon to be 2015)! None.

And it would really help if any OC bill was already "fixed" by the bill sponsors...if not though, Abbot will have to do it.

Question is, WILL he do it, or once he signs ANY OC bill, is it a done (and over) issue for him he never plans to revisit.

Enquiring minds want to know...;-)

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I don't think there is any way Abbott would veto a licensed open carry bill, and I wouldn't expect or ask him to. We need to do everything we can go make sure the bill that gets to his desk is what we want - unlicensed oc. I don't think that him vetoing a licensed oc bill would in any way possibly lead to getting an unlicensed oc bill on his desk. But that's just me... We need to get everyone that we can to agree to pursue an unlicensed bill and also to get better speaker(s)

KBCraig

Democrats were, and are, against the entire idea, and are pro marijuana (cannabis).

Freedom lovers, regardless of party affiliation, support open carry and ending drug prohibition.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Stealthy,

As a former Texan (1964-2013) I hope you know I wasn't being critical of what you Texas OCers are & have been doing to make Texas another OC state, as I support you in your efforts (despite that "brandishing long-guns in businesses" some people in other states have criticized -- out of ignorance, IMO -- a while back, and which mostly has blown over by now).

I was just trying to bring up some possibilities on what might happen re: an OC bill -- ANY OC bill -- going to Abbott's desk (too quickly) and his signing it just because he can/fulfill a promise, vs. him trying to get (and sign) the BEST OC bill possible (meaning least restrictive, i.e., at least no permit required).

As for him vetoing an OC bill: I don't know if a bill that has been passed by the TX State Legislature can be sent back to it (without vetoing it) by the Governor "for corrections" -- stating what changes he wants so he can sign it -- or if he MUST veto it because the process has to start all over from scratch (to get another "fresh" bill passed even if only slightly different than the first one). I HOPE the FIRST OC bill he gets is just what you all want (and what the rest of us in the several Free States would like to see for TX), but as mentioned earlier, it's your (Texans') ball game, so if YOU all are happy with whatever OC bill he signs, I guess WE should be happy for you. Theoretically speaking anyway. ;-)

After all, OC hasn't been legal in TX since Reconstruction (1871?), so waiting a bit longer for a GOOD OC bill should not be unreasonable.

I'm just concerned that if you don't get an OC bill that is pretty good the FIRST time -- and Abbott signs it -- you won't get any farther on it ("fix" stuff) for YEARS...partly because of what has been a problem in TX all along that delays legislation for years: The fact that the TX State Legislature, IIRC, only meets only each odd-numbered year (and only for 140 days per Regular Session), so MOST of the time it does absolutely nothing. :-(

And partly because after the OC bill is signed (whatever it is/however worded) legislators' interest in the OC issue may wain to the degree that there won't be the strong support needed later to "fix" a bad/restrictive OC law, PASS it, and get it to Abbott to sign (again) anytime soon. Or if the Democrats gain in power in the near future (as I expect, due to rampant, unchecked and illegal "immigration") and from then on prevent anything better getting passed than what was signed by Abbott.

Regardless, good luck to you all, and we "foreigners" (Free Staters -- and I'm sure even the Slave Staters) look forward with interest to see what OC bill the new Governor of Texas will be signing.

Last edited: