• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have a question

TheGunMan

If a cop stops someone, Speeding, just walking, OC, can they just take your firearm and say its for officer safety.
If they can, can someone show me were the law says they can. I have been told there is no "officer safety" in WA.
Thanks for the info.

Seriona

If a cop stops someone, Speeding, just walking, OC, can they just take your firearm and say its for officer safety.
If they can, can someone show me were the law says they can. I have been told there is no "officer safety" in WA.
Thanks for the info.

Remember that WA follows British Traditional Laws so if you cannot find a law that says an officer CAN NOT take your firearm during a stop then it is automatically legal.

Schlepnier

I'm at work right now, so I can post more later. for now look up terry V ohio as it pertains to thequestion. in oder for a LEO to make a lawful terry stop he must detain you with reasonable articuable suspicion of a crime afoot. if no crime exhists, stopping you beyond a consensual conversation can get the officer in legal trouble. if you are being detained for investigation the officer may only disarm you for officer safety if you are both armed and currently dangerous.

Seriona

So that answer is no. If you are walking or get stopped for speeding, he cannot disarm you. But I walked everywhere and the three cities I am been in where I know for sure an LEO saw me OCing, they never stopped to talk to me.

sudden valley gunner

Remember that WA follows British Traditional Laws so if you cannot find a law that says an officer CAN NOT take your firearm during a stop then it is automatically legal.

That is not how it works.

Yes we are under Common law, police and government are constitutionally restricted to enumerated powers, they can only act upon what they are authorized to. The above only applies to civilians not the acts of government in their duties.

Dave_pro2a

Take your guess, public school graduate or immigrant?

(it's a new internet game)

I'm guessing public school.

amlevin

My encounters with LEO's when walking or driving is merely to nod my head as I pass them or let them into my lane if they signal they want to.

I find that my "attire" doesn't attract much attention and my driving doesn't attract traffic stops/tickets. Problem solved in both scenarios. No stop, no need to disarm. Haven't been even been stopped while carrying my CZ75 SP-O1 Tac. and due to it's size it's certainly "noticeable".