• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

COS & Woodland Park - Anything New?

RoyGBiv

Planning for a trip to COS and Woodland Park. From what I've read here, it looks like OC is a non-issue most places in COS and Teller County. As most of the threads are a bit old (2012 and earlier, mostly), I thought I'd check in here and see if there's anything new I need to know.

TX (home) is conceal carry only, so when I'm in OC-friendly places I enjoy carrying OWB and being lackadaisical about my cover garment. I just find it more comfortable. Hopefully TX will see OC now that we have a Governor-elect that is openly supporting it.

I'm not planning to bring my AR (shotgun maybe), so the 15-round mag thing is no worry.

Anything else I should pay close attention to?
Any popular businesses or tourist sites that prohibit OC?
I assume any buildings inside Pike's NF are off limits, but the NF itself is ok?
I'm not planning to go to the library :lol:

Thanks!

Last edited:

JonStore

Planning for a trip to COS and Woodland Park. From what I've read here, it looks like OC is a non-issue most places in COS and Teller County. As most of the threads are a bit old (2012 and earlier, mostly), I thought I'd check in here and see if there's anything new I need to know.

TX (home) is conceal carry only, so when I'm in OC-friendly places I enjoy carrying OWB and being lackadaisical about my cover garment. I just find it more comfortable. Hopefully TX will see OC now that we have a Governor-elect that is openly supporting it.

I'm not planning to bring my AR (shotgun maybe), so the 15-round mag thing is no worry.

Anything else I should pay close attention to?
Any popular businesses or tourist sites that prohibit OC?
I assume any buildings inside Pike's NF are off limits, but the NF itself is ok?
I'm not planning to go to the library :lol:

Thanks!

Firstly, welcome to the free state. Please check out the mountains and the hiking. I do recommend a good pair of shoes and prepardness. The people you will find are generally friendly. The traffic in Denver takes some practice to become safe around others. I really hope you enjoy what we have.

I will assume you take a cautious and non-confrontational stance. Generally, the library is ok, no display of firearms. (conceal). I have not checked reciprocity for Texas. Denver City and County prohibit open display by statute. I believe open display is not prohibited in city, state, and national parks. Carrying inside federal buildings is not permitted by federal law. You will see signs. I do not recommend openly carrying a shotgun due to the lack of muzzle and trigger guards. Please pay attention to business signage, it may save you headache. If you conceal in a business with a sign, I would try to make an effort on that. We will not win the advocacy movement by bringing a business into our message. They are concerned with profit, and generally not our second amendment. I have attached an info paper. here... View attachment colorado.pdf

The cog railway will tell you that they don't permit a weapon (may tell you) Generally I conceal in places without signs where employees are confused. This may not be the choice or recommendations of others, however.

CiCis pizza is good food, and gun friendly as was my experience. Target and Starbucks are not. Please stay safe and legal.

Last edited:

RoyGBiv

I will assume you take a cautious and non-confrontational stance.
A very safe assumption. I'm a long-time 2A advocate, NRA Endowment Member and have held CC licenses in various States for ~18 years now. Not my first rodeo.

I've visited Colorado many times, although it's been a few years (and a bunch of new laws) since my last visit. In addition to re-reading the local regs, I find it useful to visit the local forums when I'm planning a visit, just to make sure I haven't missed some nuance in the way the laws are being enforced locally that might lead to an avoidable headache. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my questions.

I'm not a proponent of in-your-face tactics. I've been called a hoplophobe :)lol:) by some folks here for my opinions on the efficacy of such things. You don't need to worry about me being the poster child for poor gun behaviors, but I do appreciate your cautiousness. We have our own groups here in TX causing headaches for the cause. (I'll leave that for a different thread). I'm not "that guy".

Other than refreshing on local laws, the only thing that remains a concern is signage and trespass. If a business posts a tiny sign that I don't see before entering, do they have to ask me to leave before I can be arrested for trespass?? What's been the local PD policy about such things in COS and Woodland Park, if you have specific knowledge on those geographies?

Thanks again!

JonStore

A very safe assumption. I'm a long-time 2A advocate, NRA Endowment Member and have held CC licenses in various States for ~18 years now. Not my first rodeo.

I've visited Colorado many times, although it's been a few years (and a bunch of new laws) since my last visit. In addition to re-reading the local regs, I find it useful to visit the local forums when I'm planning a visit, just to make sure I haven't missed some nuance in the way the laws are being enforced locally that might lead to an avoidable headache. I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my questions.

I'm not a proponent of in-your-face tactics. I've been called a hoplophobe :)lol:) by some folks here for my opinions on the efficacy of such things. You don't need to worry about me being the poster child for poor gun behaviors, but I do appreciate your cautiousness. We have our own groups here in TX causing headaches for the cause. (I'll leave that for a different thread). I'm not "that guy".

Other than refreshing on local laws, the only thing that remains a concern is signage and trespass. If a business posts a tiny sign that I don't see before entering, do they have to ask me to leave before I can be arrested for trespass?? What's been the local PD policy about such things in COS and Woodland Park, if you have specific knowledge on those geographies?

Thanks again!

Generally, they will ask you to leave. That is the practice that has occurred here. C.R.S. 18-4-503 is the statute dealing with second degree trespass. You have to knowingly enter. If you miss the sign, you could argue that. Generally I read them.

Under no circumstances should you bring them into federal buildings. I would be more cautious in city buildings that you are following the "no display" rule if it is posted.

Business will generally ask you to leave if they have the sign. PD will generally ask you to leave if they are called firstly.

I want to get this across as well... PD can arrest you or cite you for anything. You can't fight that.

You can fight the charge later. (sometimes you can ask for the supervisor if they are citing you, but they are not obligated)

This is not legal advice. You must verify everything. I will tell you that I've spoken to local police departments/sheriff/ and the state police before I started carrying. The non-emergency line is there to answer questions.

Before I moved to Lakewood, I've spoken to them as well to ask. Denver PD as well. I remember being told by the officer "You have to make an effort to conceal" and "Please keep in mind people lose their minds when they see a gun [in Denver]". That last sentence caused me to giggle. Conceal is the only option in Denver city and County. Everywhere else is open display, as far as I know..

I really recommend that you contact the Woodland park PD and let them know you are from Texas and are traveling there with your weapon... then ask the specific questions. Sometimes LEOs get it wrong also, so the C.R.S. is published. Please continue to ask questions here as well and I will enjoy looking up answers. I learn new things this way.

We do have reciprocity with Texas with conditions. They are located at https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/chpreciprocity

p.s. I don't think you can be within 1,000 feet of schools since you are not a resident (permit was not issued in the state of Colorado).

Last edited: