• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More moving to Wisconsin questions!

MikeLovell

Finally settled on some land in Kansasville, Racine County.

I'd like to be able to shoot on my own property, are there any "gotchas" people are aware of?

I can't see any ordinance in Racine County against firearms, and I can't find any ordinances at all covering Kansasville.

On Racine County, all I can find regarding restrictions just apply to parks or recreation areas:

Sec. 14-67. - Firearms, explosives, fireworks.
No person, other than duly appointed law enforcement officers, shall have in his possession or under his control any firearm, air gun, bow and arrow or other weapon, explosives or fireworks of any kind or discharge any of the same while in or upon any of the county parks or recreational areas.

(Code 1975, § 6.013(2))

And for Wisconsin:

(d) While on the lands of another discharges a firearm within 100 yards of any building devoted to human occupancy situated on and attached to the lands of another without the express permission of the owner or occupant of the building. "Building" as used in this paragraph does not include any tent, bus, truck, vehicle or similar portable unit.

Which also won't apply, because I own the land.

Anything else they can get you with? Noise complaints? (It's reasonably rural, A-2)

MKEgal

MikeLovell said:
I'd like to be able to shoot on my own property, are there any "gotchas" people are aware of?
Don't be too near buildings, don't shoot toward buildings, things like that... but they're common sense (or should be).

I can't see any ordinance in Racine County against firearms
And there can't be, at least can't be any more strict than state law.
66.0409 is preemption.

On Racine County, all I can find regarding restrictions just apply to parks or recreation areas
Sec. 14-67. - Firearms, explosives, fireworks.
No person, other than duly appointed law enforcement officers, shall have in his possession or under his control any firearm, air gun, bow and arrow or other weapon, explosives or fireworks of any kind or discharge any of the same while in or upon any of the county parks or recreational areas.
(Code 1975, § 6.013(2))
Which is invalid as to possession. See 29.089, as amended in 2012. As of 01JAN13, it is legal for anyone who's legal to possess a firearm to possess it in a state park.
Combined with preemption (see above), it's legal to possess a firearm in any public park, and they cannot prohibit or punish a firearm discharge when it's in self-defense.

Anything else they can get you with? Noise complaints? (It's reasonably rural, A-2)
That's always possible. Check with whatever version of City Hall covers Kansasville.
Ask your Realtor.

MikeLovell

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-County-Dog-park-rules!&p=2098179#post2098179

Did you kill your dogs or did the cops pay you a visit?

Cutler ain't that bad dude....they got new plays planned for him this week,,,

Ha-ha :)

Change of plan on the land location. This place is just over the county line, in fact it's literally about 2,000ft from Kenosha County.

We were going to be in Salem in a subdivision but we got an amazing deal on some acreage.

Kill a dog! NEVER. Cats on the other hand ... Hrm...

I might still take the dogs walking in Kenosha.

MikeLovell

Don't be too near buildings, don't shoot toward buildings, things like that... but they're common sense (or should be).

And there can't be, at least can't be any more strict than state law.
66.0409 is preemption.

Which is invalid as to possession. See 29.089, as amended in 2012. As of 01JAN13, it is legal for anyone who's legal to possess a firearm to possess it in a state park.
Combined with preemption (see above), it's legal to possess a firearm in any public park, and they cannot prohibit or punish a firearm discharge when it's in self-defense.

That's always possible. Check with whatever version of City Hall covers Kansasville.
Ask your Realtor.

Thanks for the information. Looks like it's all pinned on the local ordinance.

Franky

Ha-ha :)

Change of plan on the land location. This place is just over the county line, in fact it's literally about 2,000ft from Kenosha County.

We were going to be in Salem in a subdivision but we got an amazing deal on some acreage.

Kill a dog! NEVER. Cats on the other hand ... Hrm...

I might still take the dogs walking in Kenosha.

http://www.apainc.org/files/DDF/Wisconsin Animal Cruelty Summary.pdf

The killing or maiming of a person's pet is a felony here in Wisco.