Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Marriage ban upheld by 6th fed. appel court -

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Marriage ban upheld by 6th fed. appel court -

    Judge Margaret Craig Daughtry dissented. “If we in the judiciary do not have the authority, and indeed the responsibility, to right fundamental wrongs left excused by a majority of the electorate, our whole intricate, constitutional system of checks and balances, as well as the oaths to which we swore, prove to be nothing but shams.

    v

    The panel ruled 2 to 1 that while gay marriage is almost inevitable, in the words of U.S. Circuit Judge Jeffrey Sutton, it should be settled through the democratic process and not the judiciary.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z3


    Judge Daughtry should resign in protest .... like HE can override the people whenever HE feels its due. And he likely thinks that the RBKA is obsolete too.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Phoenix David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    629
    Well we already know that the oaths are shams.

    "...Support and defend The Constitution of The United States..."
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    So, if the majority of people, voted that black people are second-class citizens, and a judge who dissented in an appeal that agreed with the majority of the voters, would you also call for her resignation, and condemn that judge; Thereby showing your faith, and support, of the law that was voted on by a simple majority of voters?

    See, you guys need to realize something that is VERY important. The United States of America, is NOT a Democracy, and it never has been. You cannot vote away someone's basic, inherent rights, including the right to the pursuit of happiness. Just because a majority of people voted to ban Gay Marriage, does not mean that the majority, or indeed, the ban itself, carries any weight insofar as the Constitution, or he basis that it was founded on.

    If a majority of voters enacted a law, that banned ALL firearms, within a state, does that make the law legal? does that make the law right? Does the majority now have the power to vote away rights, just because a majority of people voted on it?

    Who is to say it will end with gay marriage. What's next, the majority of voters within a state, enacting a bill that names Christianity the official religion of a state, or a bill/law that makes it illegal to not attend temple?

    The people who wrote the U.S. constitution, and wrote/helped write the constitutions of the states thereafter, were people who wanted a system of government that was ruled by the Law, and executed by the people chosen under the law, to exercise on behalf of the people. And, it was such people, who wanted a nation, united under one roof, that was built on the foundation of personal, and group-liberties, that could never be willed away by any one person, and by any group of people.

    It took a king, in the late-18th century, and his government's majority, to force a colonial nation into open revolt against corruption, and tyranny. It took a Tyrant, and the majority of one political body, to drive a nation into genocide, and the near extermination of groups of minorities who had little-to-no voice within that government.

    The Jews were not the only ones who was exterminated en masse, during the '30s, and '40s. The LGBT peoples, and gypsies, and mentally handicapped, was also exterminated by the millions. Not only by Germany, but by Soviet Russia. Majority-voters in the U.S. may not be rounding us up into death camps, but that doesn't mean that they are innocent and free from blame. The road to hell, starts with voters and fools, and ends with tyrants and traitors.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Gay marriage is not a right. Has nothing to do with RKBA, free speech or anything else.

    What's next, people can marry their dogs?

  5. #5
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Gay marriage is not a right. Has nothing to do with RKBA, free speech or anything else.

    What's next, people can marry their dogs?
    The right involved is the right embodied in the Fourteenth Amendment: No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.


    The bolded and underlined portion is the significant part. No one should be denied equal protection of the law. When you deny two people their right to execute a civil contract, then you have denied them the equal protection. The key point is "consenting adults".

    What gives anyone the right to dictate morals to their fellow citizens? Some of the very people I hear screaming about separation of church and state are the same ones opposing same-gender marriage solely on religious grounds.

    Sorry, but it can't be both ways.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Sorry, but I have not been brainwashed yet .... society should not, and has not, justified or legitimized abnormal behavior; if it were not for liberal wacky brainwashed judges, gay marriage would not exist. And it shouldn't.

  7. #7
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Sorry, but I have not been brainwashed yet .... society should not, and has not, justified or legitimized abnormal behavior; if it were not for liberal wacky brainwashed judges, gay marriage would not exist. And it shouldn't.
    Going by your criteria, carrying a firearm should not be justified or legitimized as a large number of our society view it as abnormal behavior. There is no brainwashing involved, merely a critical reading of the Supreme Law of the Land, the United States Constitution. You should try it some time as it is very enlightening.

    Had the LGBT community pushed the "civil contract" aspect and left the word "marriage" out of it, I do believe there would have been far less outrage than what we see now.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  8. #8
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Judge Daughtry should resign in protest .... like HE can override the people whenever HE feels its due. And he likely thinks that the RBKA is obsolete too.
    Unfortunately for you, the majority of Americans support same-sex marriage.

    Fortunately for you, enforcing the constitution means doing things that isn't always popular.

    Unfortunately for you, as SFC already pointed out, you're going up against the constitution on this issue. Your bigotry does not override their right to equal protection.

    You lose.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Had the LGBT community pushed the "civil contract" aspect and left the word "marriage" out of it, I do believe there would have been far less outrage than what we see now.
    Marriage isn't owned by the Christian church. This argument that "marriage belongs to the church" is null, because once again, the Christian church is not the only institution that has instituted marriage. It does not belong to the Christian church.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Unfortunately for you, the majority of Americans support same-sex marriage.

    <snip>
    No they don't .....

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Marriage isn't owned by the Christian church. This argument that "marriage belongs to the church" is null, because once again, the Christian church is not the only institution that has instituted marriage. It does not belong to the Christian church.
    Well whoever it belongs to (I submit it's the poeple getting married) it certainly is none of the government's business.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Well whoever it belongs to (I submit it's the poeple getting married) it certainly is none of the government's business.
    If you don't want the Government involved in your marriage, don't get a marriage license? Seems simple enough to me.

  14. #14
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    My premise is, and always has been this: What we call "marriage" consists of two elements. One element is a largely religious thing and belongs in the realm of religion (not necessarily just Christian). Government has no business interfering with that element.

    The other element is a civil contract and should be governed by the laws that apply to civil contracts and not by religious dictates. The civil contract is solely the business of government.

    My comment, Mr. House, was meant to point out that the term "marriage" is what got some folks' knickers in a twist. Had the LGBT community not used that word, I do believe we would have same-sex unions in almost all of the fifty states. There is some emotional baggage there and the desire to force one's system of beliefs down other folks' throats.

    That desire, by the way, was never a part of the teachings of Christ.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  15. #15
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    My premise is, and always has been this: What we call "marriage" consists of two elements. One element is a largely religious thing and belongs in the realm of religion (not necessarily just Christian). Government has no business interfering with that element.

    The other element is a civil contract and should be governed by the laws that apply to civil contracts and not by religious dictates. The civil contract is solely the business of government.

    My comment, Mr. House, was meant to point out that the term "marriage" is what got some folks' knickers in a twist. Had the LGBT community not used that word, I do believe we would have same-sex unions in almost all of the fifty states. There is some emotional baggage there and the desire to force one's system of beliefs down other folks' throats.

    That desire, by the way, was never a part of the teachings of Christ.
    Well said. +1
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    An exceptionally well-written piece. Well worth the read: What the Bible really says about homosexuality.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  17. #17
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    McBeth's true colors are showing. Might have to remove the quote from my sig out of protest. That'll convince him.

    It's funny, for someone who claims to be so liberty minded, he seems to be content with limiting people's freedoms based on his own personal prejudices and bigotry.

    OC = OK, despite the fact that it may make closed-minded, ignorant people uncomfortable.

    Gay = not OK, because it makes closed-minded, ignorant people uncomfortable.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    McBeth's true colors are showing. .<snip>
    I'm a monster, I eat children fro breakfast....

    I cannot help it .. they taste sooo good.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm a monster, I eat children fro breakfast....

    I cannot help it .. they taste sooo good.
    Lmao ..... Do you eat the pick with that fro? Num nums...
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •