• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Top

JohnM15A

I am considering open carrying to the car show hosted by Green Top this Saturday. Are they normally OK with OC?

The Truth

I OC'd at Green Top today. Almost bought a G20, but their prices are not very good. They wouldn't even come down $30 on the Gen 3. Saw thedevilrobyjohn too.

They are very OC friendly. Not a word. I would not think twice about it. There's even a rule on their door acknowledging customers' right to OC. Pretty cool IMO. I almost want to give them the extra $ for the G20 because they are so supportive of my rights.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I OC'd at Green Top today. Almost bought a G20, but their prices are not very good. They wouldn't even come down $30 on the Gen 3. Saw thedevilrobyjohn too.

They are very OC friendly. Not a word. I would not think twice about it. There's even a rule on their door acknowledging customers' right to OC. Pretty cool IMO. I almost want to give them the extra $ for the G20 because they are so supportive of my rights.

Did you have your receipt? Can't get out the door without your receipt.

I'll go there to window shop and finger the goods, but there are many LGSs/FFLs in the area that can match/beat their prices and don't demand to see your receipt before they let you walk out the door.

stay safe.

The Truth

I'll go there to window shop and finger the goods, but there are many LGSs/FFLs in the area that can match/beat their prices and don't demand to see your receipt before they let you walk out the door.

stay safe.

Truth. I went there to play with 1911s when I was still shopping for one, and they just happened to have a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 G20. I found a deal online from the same guy I bought my 1911 from on the G20 Gen 4 though, over $80 cheaper than buying from Green Top, and that's shipped+FFL transfer fee. The guy is in Idaho. Black Mountain Firearms in Bonners Ferry. Dave gets my $.

Last edited:

TFred

stay safe.
I think I missed something. What was he supposed to have a receipt for, the gun he was OC'ing?

TFred

The Truth

I see the confusion. There are multiple "departments" with cash registers. I paid for my ammo purchase at customer service at the front, so I had no trouble. Plus My little one was a distraction while I ninja-moved it outta there :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Though it be not Greentop of yore, they will match other dealers in the area.

Sometimes they do.

I'm tired of their crap though. They still have a few decent people but not many and the receipt to get out of the door thing has PO'ed a lot of people off.

Just for the record, after I refused to show one and explained that their door trolls had made it to the internet, they don't ask anymore, but after trying to gouge me on a sale and especially after selling me an old model Contender as a G2 (I know, I should have known the difference)......I don't buy anything there anymore.

To answer the OP's question, OC is fine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Only way they are going to get to see* my receipt is to accuse me of shoplifting and/or physically detain me.

Don't care who you are - PLEASE do one or both.

*They might have to wait until the court date to see my receipt :cool:

JohnM15A

While waiting for a response here I thought I would ask. I normally don't ask because the normal response from folks like this is no but since I might not go to the event I thought I would see what they would say. Of course they don't mention the parking lot but I would assume the same applies...

Hi John,

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Green Top's answer to your question is below.
Randy

We allow anyone in our store to express their second amendment right to carry concealed or open as State Law permits. As long as the gun stays holstered we are fine with it.

Thank you,
Katherine

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM, <xxxxxxxx@verizon.net> wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering bringing my 1948 Studebaker truck to the car show on Saturday. My only issue is if the event does not allow the legal carry of a sidearm. I always carry a sidearm and feel very strong about my rights but I do understand that Green Top is private property and as such can limit my carry. Will you and/or Green Top be limiting gun carry rights to this event?

Thanks,
John xxxxxxx

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While waiting for a response here I thought I would ask. I normally don't ask because the normal response from folks like this is no but since I might not go to the event I thought I would see what they would say. Of course they don't mention the parking lot but I would assume the same applies...

Hi John,

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Green Top's answer to your question is below.
Randy

We allow anyone in our store to express their second amendment right to carry concealed or open as State Law permits. As long as the gun stays holstered we are fine with it.

Thank you,
Katherine

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM, <xxxxxxxx@verizon.net> wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering bringing my 1948 Studebaker truck to the car show on Saturday. My only issue is if the event does not allow the legal carry of a sidearm. I always carry a sidearm and feel very strong about my rights but I do understand that Green Top is private property and as such can limit my carry. Will you and/or Green Top be limiting gun carry rights to this event?

Thanks,
John xxxxxxx

Recently they had a customer appreciation day in the parking lot. I walked around for a couple of hours taking video and was wearing a very open and noticeable Glock 20 (I was expecting rain:uhoh:).....

So yes they do allow it in the parking lot as well. Katherine is a knockout BTW and one of the good people there.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Only way they are going to get to see* my receipt is to accuse me of shoplifting and/or physically detain me.

Don't care who you are - PLEASE do one or both.

*They might have to wait until the court date to see my receipt :cool:

You get some pretty funny looks from folks as you stand there:
"Are you accusing me of shoplifting?"
"No"
"Then move out of my way and let me leave"
"Not until I see your receipt"
"Are you accusing me of shoplifting?"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Played that game once too often. Don't care if 10 minutes later they fired the door goon and put up a big sign in the break room saying "Either arrest them or let them go out. Do not ask/demand/think about seeing their receipt." It would have been too late.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I get funny looks anyway - so don't make me no never mind.

When I pay for it, it is my property. I tend to tie my bags closed at the check out counter.

When the door monitor asks me anything regarding my purchase/bag/receipt, I just say, "No thank you." and keep walking. I haven't been tackled in the parking lot yet. I do not stop and debate the hireling.

The Truth

The receipt thing is odd...I'm gonna chalk it up to you guys being crotchety old geysers.

When I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse I'm pretty sure I remember them doing the same thing. Also Guitar Center, Sam Ash Music, pretty sure even some WalMarts do it.

I understand both perspectives. I personally don't really care if I was asked to show my receipt. It's at least not totally nonsensical.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The receipt thing is odd...I'm gonna chalk it up to you guys being crotchety old geysers.

When I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse I'm pretty sure I remember them doing the same thing. Also Guitar Center, Sam Ash Music, pretty sure even some WalMarts do it.

I understand both perspectives. I personally don't really care if I was asked to show my receipt. It's at least not totally nonsensical.

Sam Ash.....:lol: I used to buy a lot there until I went in with a backpack. There was a snotty girl at the counter who insisted in going through my backpack, which I wouldn't allow. I was there to pick up a couple of thousand dollars of sound equipment they were tweeking for me.

I called the salesman to the door and told him just to give me a refund instead.

They weren't happy.

No, it's not being crotchety it's standing up for rights. Assuming a customer is guilty until searched doesn't sit well with me and there is too much competition these days to be tossing customers to the wind.
Companies spend a fortune advertising. Why would they whiz away that money doing something as ineffective as insisting on seeing receipts, especially when they can't enforce it.

The worst Greentops security guard, the one that got on Skid's bad side, told him it was Va. Law. I asked him to cite it, he couldn't, I asked management, they couldn't either...why...there is no law that allows it.

The bottom line is I don't need them but they do need me!

This is NOT the old Greentops I dealt with for nearly half a century. This is a bunch of bean counters that bankrupted Circuit City.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Wal-Mart used to do that. They stopped sometime back due to customer complaints and seeing the risk of potential law suits.

The only place I will grudgingly consent is in membership clubs where that is part of the agreement......and I only belong to one.

They are subtly suggesting that you might be a shop lifter and that they want you to prove you are not - that is a big time insult. Would it be OK if someone outside the door (on their property) checked you again, in case the first checker missed you and then again before you got in your vehicle a third time by another one? I see this as just so much security theater at my expense....I will not play.

I see this as no different than a LEO checking to see if I am legal OCing. If they do not have RAS of a crime, leave me alone! I do not consent......

I appreciate that merchants suffer shrinkage/loss do to non-payment. They use video cams + eyes on - they should pursue those cases that are solid. Internal (employee) theft is a large problem I am told.

BTW - we are not an old "geysers", though we do spout off, erupt, and are known to be faithful to our friends. Does that make us Old Faithfulls? :lol:

The Truth

I'm with ya guys! Like I said, their prices are a bit unreasonable at best. I was a little confused when I busted out $555 (right at market value IMO) cash for a Gen 3 G20 that they wanted $583 for and was told essentially to shop elsewhere. Well, I did, and I found a brand new Gen 4 elsewhere for the same price as their Gen 3 - shipped and transferred!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Contrary to what some may think, we do not spew hot water and air. I'll grant that we do fairly regularly let off steam.

As for the rest of what you had in your post - well, come back in a few years and tell me if you still feel that way. (There! See? I didn't say a thing about giving up your rights and dignity for the sake of convenience. Nope! Not one word.)

stay safe.

conhntr

The recipet check is aweful. I wuit going to costco; mostly becuase of how crowded it always is but also due to the reciept thing.

Had target ask for my reciept "becuse you have alot of items not in bags in the cart"
I just said execuse me and pushed the cart around her and left. I was actually wondering moments earlier why the cashier wasnt putting my medium sized purchases in bags

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The recipet check is aweful. I wuit going to costco; mostly becuase of how crowded it always is but also due to the reciept thing.

Had target ask for my reciept "becuse you have alot of items not in bags in the cart"
I just said execuse me and pushed the cart around her and left. I was actually wondering moments earlier why the cashier wasnt putting my medium sized purchases in bags

Often when asked how I would like an item bagged I say just leave it out - I'm going to eat it in the car. Usually regarding stuff like battery multipacks, clothing, and TP.

Have you noticed that a lot of folks seem to lack any sense of humor? They just stare at you like you are from outer space.

stay safe.