• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New kydex holster!

ps1996

Hi, I had a guy make me a kydex holster and I believe he forgot to mask off the sights and I was wondering how to get the kydex off there. I don't want to have to pay for new night sights lol

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not sure what you mean.

Did he forget to make a sight rail (actually a channel)?

Does the kydex snag on the front of the rear sights?

Depending on where and by how much, kydex can be made to forgive some things. Just be sure you have measured accurately, measured again, checked your figures, and most iportantly have some basic idea of what you are going to be asking the kydex to do.

But most importantly of all - why can't you discuss the problem with the guy and have him fix it/redo it?

stay safe.

ps1996

Not sure what you mean.

Did he forget to make a sight rail (actually a channel)?

Does the kydex snag on the front of the rear sights?

Depending on where and by how much, kydex can be made to forgive some things. Just be sure you have measured accurately, measured again, checked your figures, and most iportantly have some basic idea of what you are going to be asking the kydex to do.

But most importantly of all - why can't you discuss the problem with the guy and have him fix it/redo it?

stay safe.
there is no problem with the holster fitment. The problem is that my nightsights are now black and not white. It seems as if the kydex bonded to my sights

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
there is no problem with the holster fitment. The problem is that my nightsights are now black and not white. It seems as if the kydex bonded to my sights

Am I correct in guessing the guy used your gun as the mold and put it and the kydex in a heat press?

If so, the guy owes you a new set of night sights and the bill for your local gunsmith to install them.

You can try using a pick (ask your gunsmith to show you some) to get the kydex off, but that runs the risk of scratching/pulling out the lens.

Discuss it with they guy and explain why you prefer to settle it between the two of you. If no agreement can be reached, Small Claims Court is your friend. (And I'd love to be there when you bring the evidence in.)

stay safe.