Thread: found handgun in inlaws basement

waterbury cT

found handgun in inlaws basement

lets say I am cleaning out in-laws basement after they passed away. I would like to keep the Davis industry 22lr derringer. What do I need to do doubt it was ever registered? any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

earth's crust
    If they are dead ....

The son/daughter may have the right to perform a record request (Personal Act request/not FOIA) with DESPP and ask to inspect any gun records in their name....I would imagine that any gun, if "registered" would be under the male's name. Registration of the gun would have been voluntary.

Under the new PA13-3 and PA13-220 ... you may find answers

Do you have a carry permit or eligibility certificate? One of these may be "needed" under the law ...

Or did your in-laws gift you the gun prior to PA13-3 being passed? Then PA13-3 / PA13-220 would not apply...and you would have to look at the law prior to the passage of those two abortions.

North Branford, Connecticut, USA

found handgun in inlaws basement

There is no registration requirement. Follow standard inheritance laws and firearms laws.

If they are recently passed and there is an estate executor, they should be able to answer the rest of the questions.
    Last edited by Rich B; 11-10-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: