• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice needed for new vehicle ...

SpringerXDacp

[video=youtube;jdz3HceLGv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdz3HceLGv0[/video]

You'll have to watch out for overpasses and traffic lights tho. :D

Firearms Iinstuctor

My eleven years and 180K miles VW TDI has long been paid for, and paid for again to restore it after the Ringgold tornado. It still gives 50 mpg at interstate speeds and requires only a roughly annual oil and filter service and diesel fuel. I just put new Nokian Hakkapeliitta R snow tires on making it almost as good as 4WD. Its blackbox is too smart to talk to the government and primitive enough for me to be sure.

Some one is delusional if they think any small car with snow tires no matter what type of tire is on it, is even close or almost as good as a true 4 wheel drive.

Yea I have driven a diesel TDI and many other two wheel drive cars front and rear wheel drive one can take them lots of places if one is careful or just don't care.

But a true 4x4 well go places and in conditions that well be leave a two wheel drive car stuck not moving or destroyed. No matter what type it is or type tires that are on it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most 4 wheel drive vehicle are in reality only 2 wheel drive - one on each axel. Limited slip and positraction units don't cut it for me.

Installed a Richmond Gear automatic locker (POWERTRAX LOCK) on my 2 wheel Dodge Ram - extremely pleased.

The Truth

Most 4 wheel drive vehicle are in reality only 2 wheel drive - one on each axel. Limited slip and positraction units don't cut it for me.

Installed a Richmond Gear automatic locker (POWERTRAX LOCK) on my 2 wheel Dodge Ram - extremely pleased.

A locker in a 2WD truck in the snow is suicide!

In mud, lockers are superior. You can't beat em. In snow, posi/limited slip/tru-trac is the way to go, but open axles will get the job done too.

I've got 2 trucks. My 90 Suburban 4x4, which has an open front diff and a posi rear, will not get stuck. I've had it in some serious muck and some hairy trails in and out of deer woods. I've got a 2.5" suspension lift on it with some BFG A/Ts. I love the truck. It's for sale!

My other truck is my 85 Dodge W350 Crew Cab, my pride and joy. Both diffs are open because I'd rather spend my $ on pistols at this time (and I've already got a small fortune invested), but I put a 4" suspension lift kit on it, 35.5x10.5 TSL Super Swampers (Q78), new Borgeson steering box and shaft, and crossover steering from ORD on it. It drives like a brand new school bus. Best truck ever made in my opinion. I've done a ton of work to it. With the Dana 60s, NP435, NP205 TCase, it's virtually unbreakable.

Don't get me into talking trucks, I'll be here all day!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A locker in a 2WD truck in the snow is suicide!
--snipped--
Absolutely not. Like anything else you gotta learn to drive it right. Keep you big foot out of it and let it pull at low RPM. Light foot on the gas, just like light foot on the brake.

Easy on the corners, even on dry roads, unless you like to slide the rear through the turn.........which can be fun.:)

The Truth

I've considered going with an ARB air locker in the rear of my Dodge and Detroit Tru-Trac in the front. That's an ideal setup IMO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've considered going with an ARB air locker in the rear of my Dodge and Detroit Tru-Trac in the front. That's an ideal setup IMO.

You might look at the Ox Locker for the rear - arguably the toughest one on the market - they ain't cheap though.

Detroit Tru-Trac is an excellent choice for the front axle.

In my case, I am running a mild street truck and the automatic locker does just what I want for those little aw snit moments plus gives fantastic straight ahead launch when having a stop light debate. :uhoh:

stealthyeliminator

I'm really jelly with all this axle talk. I blew up my rear end doing neutral drops and now have a refurbed one. Had to get a rebuilt tranny shortly after. Couldn't be worse. I bet I can still get thru the mud if needed though. Call my 4-wheel drive "technically 2" all you want but it'll pull thru the thick crap just fine. :D

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm really jelly with all this axle talk. I blew up my rear end doing neutral drops and now have a refurbed one. Had to get a rebuilt tranny shortly after. Couldn't be worse. I bet I can still get thru the mud if needed though. Call my 4-wheel drive "technically 2" all you want but it'll pull thru the thick crap just fine. :D

u know only goofs go neutral drops .... well, you know now why ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Saw more than one universal blown, pinion broken, or tranny scattered as a result of neutral drops.

Many (most?) street vehicles turn better times by bring up the RPMs in gear to or near stall speed, then bogging them out of the hole. My Pontiac of other lifetime would give one little rip, no tire smoke and just be gone - many a new "friend" saw nothing but tail lights from that point until I got on the calipers. Heavy car by the standards of today, high compression, lots of advance, and premium gas, even racing gas, was cheap.....the good ol' days.

The Truth

I broke a u-joint right at the pinion on a 92 Ranger 4.0 just pulling out of a neighborhood uphill onto a main road. I also destroyed the transfer case in that truck pulling a Z71 out of a hole uphill on a powerline. Sounded like gravel in a blender. That's the only truck I've ever beaten into submission. It was then that I decided I would never own another 1/4 ton truck. <3 my 1 ton :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
I broke a u-joint right at the pinion on a 92 Ranger 4.0 just pulling out of a neighborhood uphill onto a main road. I also destroyed the transfer case in that truck pulling a Z71 out of a hole uphill on a powerline. Sounded like gravel in a blender. That's the only truck I've ever beaten into submission. It was then that I decided I would never own another 1/4 ton truck. <3 my 1 ton :)

I had a ranger .. tie rod broke ... fixed it roadside ... that truck was not meant to pull anything out of a hole ... lol

other than that tie rod (and a starter at 100K) no problems with the truck ... it got bad mileage (20mpg/22 hywy) ... I sold it after 12 yrs and 154K for 500 bucks to a dealer ...

sounds like you got good use out of yours too ... I had the 5 speed, base model ...no radio, bench seats ...

sold it to get a car and a trailer .. better mileage from the car (35mpg) and the trailer is much lower making load/unloading easier. I still miss having a pickup though ...

Firearms Iinstuctor

For those of you who say one doesn't need a 4x4 or a two wheel drive is as good. One must not do any thing during major snow storms or off road much.

Up here in true snow country I been out and about when the front bumper of my f150 was pushing snow in front of it had to be in 4 low just to keep moving. Try that with your 2 wheel drives trks or cars.

When I was working my 4 wheel drive SUV cruiser was the only thing going from crash to crash were all the two wheel drives were struck or in the ditch.

If one doesn't need to get out and about when it is really nasty or back in the woods yea a two wheel drive well do.

When hunting bear and coyotes with hounds getting back where one needs to be 4 wheel drive is the only way to get there. Winch also is a big help If one ever has tried to drag a big bear out one well understand why it is important to get a trk close. A ATV is very helpful to.

The best yote hunting is when one as a nice fresh snow on the roads before they plow..

Keep your cars and two wheel drives I'll never be with out a 4x4 and yes I have a car and mini van also.