• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan OC

Detroit5906

Hey guys! So I'm not a CPL holder because I'm 19 however I'm a legal firearm owner. My parents and most family members are CPL holders however since the rules are different for OC without a CPL I have a few questions. I know I can carry in most any public place and places such as malls, stores, etc as long as there are no policies or postings against it. And I understand that to OC is public schools you need a CPL. However I do have a few questions.
1) Can I open carry in restaurants (Applebee's, outback, etc) that serve alcohol?

2) can I OC in places that are licensed under an FFL? (can I carry a firearm into a Dunham's, dicks, cabelas?) I wondered if since they're federally licensed if somehow they have to follow federal gun jurisdiction.

3) Is OC really worth it? I understand what's legal and what isn't but I'm concerned that I'll end up getting arrested for violating some obscure law since it seems most people frown on OC.

Thanks guys hope these questions aren't too dumb but I've been researching and talking to law enforcement agents for weeks before I think about walking out of the house with a gun.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Welcome, and you might want to post this in the MI sub-forum. In WA you can go into a restaurant that serves alcohol, just not in the 21 and over only area. No federal law about not carrying in an FFL. I carry in Cabelas, and all my favorite gun shops. That said, any private business can have a "no gun" rule. In some states the signs carry the weight of law, other states like WA you can post all the signs you want and they mean nothing legally. Again, check the MI forum my knowledge is based on WA laws.