• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not that u need one - but another reason to hate NJ - stupid "sting" operation

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The guy walking down from a curb and back up and repeating is a major issue ... its entrapment at that point.

So if I start to cross the street and determine that I cannot do so safely at this time and retreat to the curb, I'm somehow entrapping someone?

The video avalable supports the "retreat to safety" description than dancing back and forth from curb to crosswalk like a matadpr challenging a bull.

Sometimes I worry about your cognative functioning. Other times, like this, I just throw up my hands in disgust and resignation.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So if I start to cross the street and determine that I cannot do so safely at this time and retreat to the curb, I'm somehow entrapping someone?

The video avalable supports the "retreat to safety" description than dancing back and forth from curb to crosswalk like a matadpr challenging a bull.

Sometimes I worry about your cognative functioning. Other times, like this, I just throw up my hands in disgust and resignation.

stay safe.

Its good that we agree ... a scum operation....

since9

Campaign Veteran
Given the "duck's" irrational behavior, the entire sting fails the rational person test as required by the court. It wouldn't matter if the person behaving that way were dressed up like a duck or not. If they're behaving irrationally, stepping on and off the curb, then just standing there, the rational person will observe them for a moment, then carefully and safely proceed. Stopping forever, just because a duck is obstructing traffic, impeding the flow of traffic, or whatever the heck they call it in Jersey, is NOT rational behavior.

These drivers behaved in a safe and rational manner. A class-action lawsuit should get this entire fiasco tossed.

The police chief's comments indicated he's an looney as Donald Duck.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Really, pedestrians should take some personal responsibility ... just because a law says that a vehicle must stop does that mean you can close your eyes and walk across streets?

Again, 100% right and dead wrong.

These stupid laws ... cross at a cross walk and pay attention.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Really, pedestrians should take some personal responsibility ... just because a law says that a vehicle must stop does that mean you can close your eyes and walk across streets?

Again, 100% right and dead wrong.

These stupid laws ... cross at a cross walk and pay attention.

There's a local bar/eatery that hosts a 5k run every Tuesday. Has attracted literally hundreds of runners/walkers since I moved here five years ago.

I theorize that while runners have the right of way in the crosswalks, they do not have the right to jog in place on the curb leading up to a crosswalk then dart out in front of me just as I'm entering the crosswalk.

Had I not managed to dodge the idiot who tried this, I may have had the opportunity to hear a judge either confirm or refute my theory.

Fallschirjmäger

The guy walking down from a curb and back up and repeating is a major issue ... its entrapment at that point.
"This duck kept going to the curb, off the curb," she said. "I thought it was a crazy guy on Halloween."
I'd almost be willing to bet that too many people were stopping to let the mad mallard cross the road which affected their 'numbers'. Then they felt they had to start manufacturing a few citations in order to meet the unspecified, never spoken, 'quota' that doesn't officially exist.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I use to attend in official capacity the local highway safety meeting where members would bring up local safety issues and talk about how to solve them.

Well the local small town received some grant money for a walking /bike trail at the farthest section of the trail out side of the city limits it crossed a major highway with a speed limit there of 45 mph.

Do to the grant they had to paint in cross walk we heard complains that walkers almost being hit.

The talk was how to stop this I talked with other law enforcement about the problem we came to the conclusion that the best solution was to get rid of the cross walk that was giving a false sense of security to the walkers.

Most of them thought a vehicle going 50 mph or faster could stop on a dime when some of these idiots step out into the cross walk.

I didn't make any friends when I asked who was the idiot who decided a cross walk out in the country was a good idea.

Well the cross walk remains I am sure people form both sides are complaining about it I have not heard of any body getting a citation for fail to yield or any body getting hit.

I still think the best solution is get rid of it make the pedestrians yield as there is not many that use that section and there is a lot of vehicle traffic.

Last edited:

blahpony

I use to attend in official capacity the local highway safety meeting where members would bring up local safety issues and talk about how to solve them.

Well the local small town received some grant money for a walking /bike trail at the farthest section of the trail out side of the city limits it crossed a major highway with a speed limit there of 45 mph.

Do to the grant they had to paint in cross walk we heard complains that walkers almost being hit.

The talk was how to stop this I talked with other law enforcement about the problem we came to the conclusion that the best solution was to get rid of the cross walk that was giving a false sense of security to the walkers.

Most of them thought a vehicle going 50 mph or faster could stop on a dime when some of these idiots step out into the cross walk.

I didn't make any friends when I asked who was the idiot who decided a cross walk out in the country was a good idea.

Well the cross walk remains I am sure people form both sides are complaining about it I have not heard of any body getting a citation for fail to yield or any body getting hit.

I still think the best solution is get rid of it make the pedestrians yield as there is not many that use that section and there is a lot of vehicle traffic.

Some of the walkingtrails around here have stop signs for the pedestrians. They still have crosswalks, though.

countryclubjoe

I would argue that the quack/duck/idiot leo, was in fact impeding the flow of regular traffic and creating a public safety concern.

I actually never heard of duck entrapment, and the chief in that town is a real piece of work with his comments...

Great piece of police work their, beware of Santa coming to Fort Lee to entrap its citizens...

My .02

Regards

CCJ