• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oops, I screwed around and got elected.

self preservation

Not really RKBA related, but I recently got elected to city council in my town. A few years back I addressed some illegal signage on city buildings using 65.870, a concealed ordinance was later attempted and failed, I'm familiar enough with "home rule" to argue against it if it is ever attempted to be used where not applicable, but I wonder that now I will be sitting on "the other side" if there is anything that I need to be mindful of? Any advice from you wiser folks will be appreciated considering I will have no idea what I'm doing come January 1. :uhoh:

The Truth

How many votes did you get and out of how many votes total?

Congratulations! Stick to your "guns" and don't let anyone with money push you around.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations on your election to city council.

A seat on council does not mandate that you support every ordinance that is on the books or is offered for approval. As I undestood my civics class, you have two primary duties: 1) to be fiscally responsible in expending the tax money collected; and 2) to represent the interests of your constituents and the city as a whole as you detemine that to be.

My favorite example of #1 is David Crocket's (TN) opposition to a bill to provide a $100,000 pension to the widow of Commodore Stephen Decatur. He said providing for widows was a good thing to do, but that Congress was not authorized by the Constitution to do that. He suggested a private subsription be established to raise a charitable contribution from those that desired to make one, and to not take money from people who do not desire to contribute.

Regarding #2, your election does not prove any supposition that you know what is best for your constituents and the city, but that you will consider input from all sides and decide which action provides the most good for your constituents and the city. Hopefully that will be done based on rational consideration and not on instructions received from a Ouija board or mere membership in a political party - although both those latter have been cited as reasons for decisionmaking.

As for the specific issue you reference it seems that adherence to #1 and #2 above would hinge on steering the city away from the expenses of potential litigation and possible settelents/penalties being imposed.

Hope this review of what I recall from a civics class taken many, many years ago is helpful to you.

stay safe.

self preservation

All good advice and I'm thankful for it. I've made 3 promises and 3 promises only. 1) To do the best I can. 2) To stand for what's right, even if I stand alone. 3) To speak my mind even if my voice shakes in doing so. That's all I can and will promise to the people.

HPmatt

All of the financial details that you deal with - you want to know your Town finance director is a straight shooter and knows what (s)he is talking about.
Budgets w/b primarily town spending, but when you get into pensions and shared services 'co-ops' with other towns or state sponsored pooling of purchases, health insurance and what-not, make sure you know that your finance director is experienced. For instance - how much pension cost does town incur? Current vested benefits and/or future obligations. What are assumptions on expected earning on investments - I know up until a few years ago you would say the pension would earn '8%' on their assets - world we are living in today w/b more like 3-4%. That change would double the amount of CASH/TAXES required to fund pensions - current and those of current employees before they retire. You might look at providing benefits like for-profit companies do - defined contribution plans like 401k, vs defined benefits plans which are enormously expensive to taxpayers. If you have a sharp finance director that can outline what the savings w/b to taxpayers - it would be HUGE. Welcome to the real world government employees - just like the 'real world' has been doing for the past 30 years.

Pensions and health insurance items are things that can sneak up and bite you (meaning taxpayers) in the butt in a HUGE way. You want to have a sharp finance director that knows about this stuff and can advise town council in a realistic manner. Our town has outsourced a lot of jobs that used t/b done by town employees - like garbage, parks, street paving - turned out town had high employee turnover, so the generous pay & benefits was going to waste - 'for profit' companies did it much cheaper than town.

You also want to know which other town council members are savvy with finance as well. When you have facts lined up in irrefutable presentation, it is hard to argue 'but being excessively generous to union employees that contribute to my campaigns' are worth sticking it to the hardworking property owner and taxpayer.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP... anything that I need to be mindful of? Any advice from you wiser folks will be appreciated considering I will have no idea what I'm doing come January 1. :uhoh:

Congrats.:) For advice: "Don't take bribes!":lol:

In all seriousness, and adding to what others have said, please READ the bills/petitions and do not allow yourself to be swayed by emotional appeals.

Best of luck.:) And remember, we'll be watching you.:uhoh::lol:

willy1094

I have nothing to contribute that hasn't already been addressed, but I wanted to say congrats on the election.

davidmcbeth

Banned
1st official act:

Obtaining 20 MRADS from that free federal program ... one for every 100 persons ...

Now they'll feel safe. OR ELSE

har har har

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not really RKBA related, but I recently got elected to city council in my town. A few years back I addressed some illegal signage on city buildings using 65.870, a concealed ordinance was later attempted and failed, I'm familiar enough with "home rule" to argue against it if it is ever attempted to be used where not applicable, but I wonder that now I will be sitting on "the other side" if there is anything that I need to be mindful of? Any advice from you wiser folks will be appreciated considering I will have no idea what I'm doing come January 1. :uhoh:

Can you OC in council chambers and if so will you? What a clear message that would send. :)

self preservation

OC is not prohibited in local government meetings, as long as the building is not otherwise prohibited, ie court facility. CC is not allowed, by statute, in meetings of the legislative body of a city or county. Also, cities and counties may prohibit OC in all of their buildings. These restrictions on CC would not apply to members of the legislative body(with proper license), except in the instance of court facilities.

I assume that you meant to put the word "not" after the above bolded word?

johnfenter

Crockett put his money where his mouth was...

As I recall, he volunteered to be first to donate his Congressional pay to the widow; his fellow legislators were not so munificent.

Also, be very careful, downright wary, of any possible conflicts of interest. If it even MIGHT look bad, don't do it.

"My favorite example of #1 is David Crocket's (TN) opposition to a bill to provide a $100,000 pension to the widow of Commodore Stephen Decatur. He said providing for widows was a good thing to do, but that Congress was not authorized by the Constitution to do that. He suggested a private subscription be established to raise a charitable contribution from those that desired to make one, and to not take money from people who do not desire to contribute."

OC for ME

What is your definition of "right?"

Congratulations and good luck.