• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional carry bill pre-filed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Doing away with TX CHL is a terrible idea. I don't see where the Stickland bill eliminates CHL, it just makes having a CHL unnecessary.
Without a license, Texans would not be able to carry in other states that require a license.
Even in Arizona, Alaska and New Hampshire residents can apply for and receive a carry permit.

Not true. How do you suppose VT residents do it? One can get Nevada and Arizona non-resident permits, which covers some 30 states.
It still would be far better to have the option of getting a Texas permit for purposes of reciprocity and recognition.

rightwinglibertarian

It still would be far better to have the option of getting a Texas permit for purposes of reciprocity and recognition.

*shakes head* you know me :p

You think i'm going to go for anything that includes an infringement to a right that has been stolen from us decades ago? Nope. This to me would be a great victory and another step in getting all 50 states to allow (my goodness I hate that expression in this context) The bearing of arms without restriction. Now from memory I can't recall if it mentioned schools or just high schools and colleges but the federal laws need nullifying as well. Teachers and anyone else over 18 should be able to carry without question, wherever they please. Thats the Constitution and that is what any American who believes the Constitution should be fighting for

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

*shakes head* you know me :p

You think i'm going to go for anything that includes an infringement to a right that has been stolen from us decades ago? Nope. This to me would be a great victory and another step in getting all 50 states to allow (my goodness I hate that expression in this context) The bearing of arms without restriction. Now from memory I can't recall if it mentioned schools or just high schools and colleges but the federal laws need nullifying as well. Teachers and anyone else over 18 should be able to carry without question, wherever they please. Thats the Constitution and that is what any American who believes the Constitution should be fighting for
I don't think you will see that happen any faster than if it proceeds in smaller steps. Ask for too much, resistance builds/fault is found, and you walk away with less.....maybe nothing.

You know me - I look for what works the best :)

Jack House

Nothing I saw in Strickland's bill eliminated the CHL, just the need. Which is what I want. The need to be removed, but the license to remain.

Something people seem to forget is that the CHL allows you to bypass background checks when buying guns locally. That is a nice little time saver for me. I always get delayed when I go to buy a gun. Always.

stealthyeliminator

Nothing I saw in Strickland's bill eliminated the CHL, just the need. Which is what I want. The need to be removed, but the license to remain.

Something people seem to forget is that the CHL allows you to bypass background checks when buying guns locally. That is a nice little time saver for me. I always get delayed when I go to buy a gun. Always.

Yes, that is a nice perk.

IMO another important issue that this bill addresses which, from what I can tell, both of the licensed OC bills fail to address is the requirement to ID on demand. Not only is the requirement to ID on demand unconstitutional and intrusive, it isn't even consistent with Texas ID laws. In fact, it is grossly inconsistent with them, seeing how in Texas you aren't even required to ID when lawfully detained, outside of being a CHL holder while carrying. That section should not have ever been written in the first place. The penalty has been removed, but that section needs to be repealed. This bill does that.

qednick

If we did end up with [unlicensed] constitutional carry then I for one would still keep my Texas CHL. Even though I begrudge paying the "tax" for the "privilege", I would like to be able to conceal in other states (that don't have OC) and, like Jack said, to avoid the hassle of a BG check every time I buy--which is a major plus!

papabling

Also having the CHL simplifies buying a gun at the store. Maybe the 'CHL' name should be changed to 'HL' ?

.edit. I just noticed Jack already mentioned this time saver in his post. Thanks!

Life is getting better.

Last edited:

Jack House

Remember there are several states that only honor resident permits right now, so preserving the TX CHL strictly for reciprocity is necessary.
The constitutional carry bill does preserve the CHL. It does not change it at all. Which is one of the reasons I really like the bill.

rightwinglibertarian

Well looks like i'm outnumbered here. Second best seems to have been accepted. Here we have the chance to push for what the 2A actually stands for and we won't do it?

I don't think you will see that happen any faster than if it proceeds in smaller steps. Ask for too much, resistance builds/fault is found, and you walk away with less.....maybe nothing.

I don't think it is best but i'm outnumbered and won't win on here, so i'll leave it for now

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Well looks like i'm outnumbered here. Second best seems to have been accepted. Here we have the chance to push for what the 2A actually stands for and we won't do it?

I don't think it is best but i'm outnumbered and won't win on here, so i'll leave it for now
You make my point by example/your action better than I did by expressing it.

If you can not win, insure that you do not lose.

stealthyeliminator

You make my point by example/your action better than I did by expressing it.

If you can not win, insure that you do not lose.

Never compromise your principles. You should be encouraging resilience, not compromise.

"One voice in the crowd is small, but if he speaks the truth, then he speaks for all" House of Heroes, I Am A Symbol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never compromise your principles. You should be encouraging resilience, not compromise.

"One voice in the crowd is small, but if he speaks the truth, then he speaks for all" House of Heroes, I Am A Symbol

It is not compromising principles by recognizing how things work in the real world.

Primus

Both gentleman have good perspectives.

On one hand you should remain true to your principles. But his far will that get you if there's no chance in reality of it passing?

Take the tea party. They were/are steadfast to the core. But were able to gain no ground.

There MUST be some path in the middle to keep to your values yet pragmatically recognize you are one person in millions and need to sway many to your way.

The carrot as opposed to stick analogy comes to mind. Or bees and honey.
It is not compromising principles by recognizing how things work in the real world.

stealthyeliminator

[...]
On one hand you should remain true to your principles. But his far will that get you [...]

I think only a person willing to compromise their principles for gain factors how far remaining true gets them or doesn't into their decision to or not. :p

I get what you're saying, I'm just being difficult.