• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional carry bill pre-filed

Jack House

Well looks like i'm outnumbered here. Second best seems to have been accepted. Here we have the chance to push for what the 2A actually stands for and we won't do it?

I don't think it is best but i'm outnumbered and won't win on here, so i'll leave it for now
WTF are you on about? As far as I can see, Grapeshot is the only one arguing against the constitutional carry bill.

stealthyeliminator

Nothing much to expand on. Just an observation. So many philosophies are shared on this forum. No one is right or wrong. My comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I thought it might be (tongue-in-cheek). I've never heard it before. I don't see how it could be true tho.

The Truth

I thought it might be (tongue-in-cheek). I've never heard it before. I don't see how it could be true tho.

When voting for a candidate, some may say "vote or shut up," meaning the lesser of two evils gets their vote, and even if there is not a top candidate well by golly we gotta vote for someone! By the same token, principles are compromised by accepting a "lesser of two evils" in regards to legislation. It seems long, drawn out, and laborious to win using these tactics, and I really don't see how it's an effective political philosophy to always compromise with the status quo.

I get it. Baby steps... but it leaves a lot to chance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When voting for a candidate, some may say "vote or shut up," meaning the lesser of two evils gets their vote, and even if there is not a top candidate well by golly we gotta vote for someone! By the same token, principles are compromised by accepting a "lesser of two evils" in regards to legislation. It seems long, drawn out, and laborious to win using these tactics, and I really don't see how it's an effective political philosophy to always compromise with the status quo.

I get it. Baby steps... but it leaves a lot to chance.
So does getting up in the morning.

When a decision is requested, take your best shot. Normally better to do something than nothing.

If you later see a better avenue, you can always adjust.

77zach

Ok, lol...

Back on track...

Constitutional carry ftw. HB195 FTW

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is about a 0 percent chance of that getting to the governor. Texas suffers form the same syndrome as the "Gunshine State". Which is a self satisfied belief that guns are carried for hunting purposes only. Guns used for self defense are kept handy, in the house or in the car, but only LAWWWRRR ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS carry on body when not hunting. Sure, you get a kimber compact or and LCP and show people your privilege card to carry concealed, but you never or nearly never carry it on your person. "Open carry? That's just crazy, it must be illegal for a good reason, I'd never do it and I've never seen anyone do it."

Shoot, some of us expect (not me) a Fl court to rule OC is a fundamental right and the legislature would STILL thumb its nose and maybe accept licensed OC.

But, good luck anyways.

stealthyeliminator

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is about a 0 percent chance of that getting to the governor. Texas suffers form the same syndrome as the "Gunshine State". Which is a self satisfied belief that guns are carried for hunting purposes only. Guns used for self defense are kept handy, in the house or in the car, but only LAWWWRRR ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS carry on body when not hunting. Sure, you get a kimber compact or and LCP and show people your privilege card to carry concealed, but you never or nearly never carry it on your person. "Open carry? That's just crazy, it must be illegal for a good reason, I'd never do it and I've never seen anyone do it."

Shoot, some of us expect (not me) a Fl court to rule OC is a fundamental right and the legislature would STILL thumb its nose and maybe accept licensed OC.

But, good luck anyways.

No offense but I think your pessimism stems from ignorance on the current happenings in this state... I don't know anyone that feels that way about guns, or carry. Hundreds/thousands open carry every week/few weeks here, there's not a sweeping belief that only LE can or should carry or even OC. Just a few days ago I was with a guy that was standing at a busy intersection with a shotgun over his shoulder. We had a lot of interest, and a lot of support, which isn't unusual. Hell, one guy went as far out of his way as to buy us lunch. Last session we had AN open carry bill introduced. This year we're all but inundated with various versions.

SA-TX

Centurion
So does getting up in the morning.

When a decision is requested, take your best shot. Normally better to do something than nothing.

If you later see a better avenue, you can always adjust.

+1

We have an EXCELLENT chance to legalize some form of OC this session. We have a good chance of legalizing unlicensed OC or even constitutional carry. Let that sink in for a minute.

I don't want to debate who caused what change as there will be plenty of time for pats on the back and assignment of credit later. For now, let's everyone do everything we can to get the best deal we can. Let's push for maximum freedom but recognize when to make a tactical retreat and accept something less than ideal but WAY better than the status quo.

SA-TX

77zach

No offense but I think your pessimism stems from ignorance on the current happenings in this state... I don't know anyone that feels that way about guns, or carry. Hundreds/thousands open carry every week/few weeks here, there's not a sweeping belief that only LE can or should carry or even OC. Just a few days ago I was with a guy that was standing at a busy intersection with a shotgun over his shoulder. We had a lot of interest, and a lot of support, which isn't unusual. Hell, one guy went as far out of his way as to buy us lunch. Last session we had AN open carry bill introduced. This year we're all but inundated with various versions.
Hopefully you're right. But I think it would be a huge win if you even won licensed OC with the same restrictions that CC has. I expect them to add more. Neocons talk the talk but seldom walk. I've studied them for over a decade now. You do have something going for you that Florida doesn't and that is the interest produced by long gun OC.

Last edited:

Jack House

I'm fairly certain we're going to get OC this year. If not proper constitutional carry, then LOC. Reason being is that support is growing and a couple groups are really pushing the CC bill. The NRA/TSRA are likely to support the LOC bills. I'd love for me to be wrong and the NRA/TSRA truly support the CC bill and get it passed. But I doubt they will. The CHL requirement provides a nice little revenue stream for them and their not likely to support something they perceive as a threat to that revenue stream.

stealthyeliminator

I'm fairly certain we're going to get OC this year. If not proper constitutional carry, then LOC. Reason being is that support is growing and a couple groups are really pushing the CC bill. The NRA/TSRA are likely to support the LOC bills. I'd love for me to be wrong and the NRA/TSRA truly support the CC bill and get it passed. But I doubt they will. The CHL requirement provides a nice little revenue stream for them and their not likely to support something they perceive as a threat to that revenue stream.

Obviously I'm biased, but I feel like the TSRA is becoming less relevant - both with the general public, and with some legislators. Why? First of all, just listen to them... Their general positions, and just their general speech, are not appealing to my generation, and even many older than me. The way they talk, the things they say, the way they look at things; none of these appeal to my generation. As for legislators, a number have spoken in direct contrast to the general positions of the TSRA - meaning, they're essentially making direct contradictions to TSRA positions. But hey, what do I know? These are just my observations. I could be wrong.

zekester

Section (8) should be re-worded....JMHO

I am not an advocate for drinking and carrying...

I am sure it happens everyday....

Having a few beers should not stop you from defending yourself...

It should be written as follows.......

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF A HANDGUN

(a) A person in possession of a handgun
commits an offense if they intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carry a handgun on or about their person:

(8) while intoxicated AND handles or uses such handgun in either a negligent
or unlawful manner or discharges it other than in self-defense;

Scenario:

Neighbor calls me over to watch the Cowboys get their a@@ kicked by the Eagles....I am carrying and so is my neighbor...
All of a sudden a home invasion.......We get rid of the threat, the homeowner is a hero.
My neighbor, even though he is "legally" intoxicated can defend his house and property, no charges.
Me on the other hand, is arrested for possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Ok....we can assume the neighbor gave me "permission" to be there.....but I think you know where I am going with this.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Scenario:

Neighbor calls me over to watch the Cowboys get their a@@ kicked by the Eagles....I am carrying and so is my neighbor...
All of a sudden a home invasion.......We get rid of the threat, the homeowner is a hero.
My neighbor, even though he is "legally" intoxicated can defend his house and property.
Me on the other hand, is arrested for possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Ok....we can assume the neighbor gave me "permission" to be there.....but I think you know where I am going with this.
Even on private property? Really?

zekester

Even on private property.

not while intoxicated

section 8 seems very clear to me...as proposed

"(8) while intoxicated."

Can't be more clear than that

And by striking the following language...which is in this bill....they can actually arrest you for being in your own home , intoxicated, just in possession of a handgun.

"[(1) on the person's own premises, or premises under the
person's control, or with permission of the premises owner;]

I am all for OC.....with or without a permit to get Texas on board, but I will not accept or support this bill as written.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

not while intoxicated

section 8 seems very clear to me...as proposed

"(8) while intoxicated."

Can't be more clear than that

And by striking the following language...which is in this bill....they can actually arrest you for being in your own home , intoxicated, just in possession of a handgun.

"[(1) on the person's own premises, or premises under the
person's control, or with permission of the premises owner;]

I am all for OC.....with or without a permit to get Texas on board, but I Will accept or support this this bill as written.

So what are you saying, fix every little surrounding issue before getting constitutional carry? Or try to fit literally everything that needs to be fixed into a single bill? I don't like either of those plans. Get constitutional carry, and then keep improving all of the surrounding little problem laws - and there are quite a few.

Requirement to ID
Prohibited places
Interference with Leo
Failure to obey Leo (transportation code)
Disorderly conduct
All of these and surely more could use some work

Last edited:

zekester

No sir

But if you give up your personal freedoms in your own house , it is not worth it.

Not only that.....every hunter in Texas that likes to drink beer would be subject to arrest....all it takes is a knock on the door...

I am not willing to spend two years in jail so they can fix a problem that should have been addressed in the first place.

Read the bill you are backing.....

I am sorry, I can't endorse a bill that infringes on my rights and I cannot believe you would either.

Accepting a fee (CHL) to move things along is one thing, but to give the GOV the right to knock on my door and arrest me for nothing more than having a few beers and owning a handgun,,,,,,sorry...if there was ever a definition for tyranny.....this would be that.

The fricking president is making beer as we speak for GOD sake.....let me drink in peace.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

But if you give up your personal freedoms in your own house , it is not worth it.

Not only that.....every hunter in Texas that likes to drink beer would be subject to arrest....all it takes is a knock on the door...

I am not willing to spend two years in jail so they can fix a problem that should have been addressed in the first place.

Read the bill you are backing.....

I am sorry, I can't endorse a bill that infringes on my rights and I cannot believe you would either.

Accepting a fee (CHL) to move things along is one thing, but to give the GOV the right to knock on my door and arrest me for nothing more than having a few beers and owning a handgun,,,,,,sorry...if there was ever a definition for tyranny.....this would be that.

The fricking president is making beer as we speak for GOD sake.....let me drink in peace.

I think your conclusions are silly, billy. I can't believe you'd deny the closest thing to constitutional carry we can muster because it might mean you have to be more careful about being in possession while drinking.

In that section, "intoxicated" isn't defined, but I'm guessing a court would probably see it as something similar to the section further down... (1) "Intoxicated" means substantial impairment of mental or physical capacity resulting from introduction of any substance into the body.

If this applies to you, then you probably shouldn't carrying, much less hunting.

Last edited: