Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 239 years

  1. #1
    Regular Member missoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    S.E.MICHIGAN
    Posts
    10

    239 years

    Happy Birthday USMC.

    Semper Fi !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USMC B'DAY.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	12208  

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    199

    math

    Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    Happy Birthday USMC.

    Semper Fi !!!
    Some one can not do math 2014-1776=238
    Last edited by Mr Birdman; 11-10-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: math

  3. #3
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Birdman View Post
    Some one can not do math 2014-1776=238
    Someone doesn't know basic military history. 2014-1775=239.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Someone doesn't know basic military history. 2014-1775=239.
    You're correct in one sense, but did you account for the years they were disbanded?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    You're correct in one sense, but did you account for the years they were disbanded?
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

    You can take the man out of the Marines, but you can't take the Marines out of the man.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    199

    math

    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Someone doesn't know basic military history. 2014-1775=239.
    The United states did not exist in 1775

  7. #7
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    US really didn't start until 1789, when Constitution replaced the Articles of Confederation, which were created by the colonies in 1776. Before that all the colonies were individually chartered by our English King.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

    You can take the man out of the Marines, but you can't take the Marines out of the man.
    They say that ... but its applicable to all American fighting men.

    The Marines? A branch that can be eliminated ~ they have not stormed a beach since WWII if I recall correctly.

    Once the gov't creates something, its almost impossible to eliminate.

    The Marines had their use but that time has passed. No one storms beaches anymore.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They say that ... but its applicable to all American fighting men.

    The Marines? A branch that can be eliminated ~ they have not stormed a beach since WWII if I recall correctly.

    Once the gov't creates something, its almost impossible to eliminate.

    The Marines had their use but that time has passed. No one storms beaches anymore.
    The proud, the faithful, the Marines.

    One does not eliminate such men from the active rolls of our military and assimilate them into other services because someone finds them redundant. The history and yes the mystique is relevant to attracting and maintaining a fighting force with such immense pride contributing to their overall ready, preparedness.

    "Pappy" Boyington, Carlos Hathcock, and "Chesty" Puller would roll in their graves at the thought. They each stormed beaches of a different sort.

    We do agree on one thing - all service personnel should find pride and satisfaction in who they are and what they do......not without considerable personal expense sometimes.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The proud, the faithful, the Marines.

    One does not eliminate such men from the active rolls of our military and assimilate them into other services because someone finds them redundant. The history and yes the mystique is relevant to attracting and maintaining a fighting force with such immense pride contributing to their overall ready, preparedness.

    "Pappy" Boyington, Carlos Hathcock, and "Chesty" Puller would roll in their graves at the thought. They each stormed beaches of a different sort.

    We do agree on one thing - all service personnel should find pride and satisfaction in who they are and what they do......not without considerable personal expense sometimes.
    Well, we are paying a high price for "mystique" .. 40 billion dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States) worth of mystique.

    We must have mystique coming out of our ears.

    Our two oceans do more for our defense than the Marines or any other service does ... we need to trim back DoD expenses tremendously ... once done, then stupid missions become unavailable to be performed.

    Don't worry, Pappy would be fine .. I just saw him on TV ... rat-a-tat-tat.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-12-2014 at 05:33 AM.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well, we are paying a high price for "mystique" .. 40 billion dollars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States) worth of mystique.

    We must have mystique coming out of our ears.

    Our two oceans do more for our defense than the Marines or any other service does ... we need to trim back DoD expenses tremendously ... once done, then stupid missions become unavailable to be performed.

    Don't worry, Pappy would be fine .. I just saw him on TV ... rat-a-tat-tat.
    We pay nothing for the mystique. It is a bonus/freebie.

    Redirecting recruits and reassigning active duty would not save one ha'f pence. The cost inherent in maintaining the number is little dependent on which branch it is spent. 1+1+1+1 = 4; 1+1+2 = 4.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •