Thread: Winter has arrived

Winter has arrived

The cold temperatures have arrived in Idaho and no more open carry until March or so. I enjoy winter, it brings good things like sitting around a fire spending time with friends and family. The winter with its cold and snow does make Christmas time feel special, it brings back the warm memories of times past, but it does mean open carry season is over.

I am back to concealed carry this week and after spending 7+ months open carrying I already miss it. Concealed carry is just not as comfortable and it just feels wrong to hide my pistol like a thug. I now look just like all the other sheep mulling about during their day, looking like prey to the wolves with no real way to bare my teeth so to speak. Well, that's the price one pays to live where you get all four seasons.

No real point to my post, just my thoughts on weather and its effect on open carrying.

I sized my gun belts to go over winter wear so that I continue to have the option of openly carrying through the winter.

Yes, winter is here. It snowed through yeaterday, took a break and has restarted. Meanwhile, I'm in my uniform and marching shoes for the American Legion's local Veterans Day observance as only a small American town can do it. Openly carried side arms are not approved uniform and for that I fault the National HQ.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Winter has arrived

Why not get a 5.11 patrol jacket or something similar and OC with a winter coat on. That's what I do at work. There is a side zip to allow your firearm to be exposed.
    Last edited by badger54; 11-15-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: adding info
    WTT: Glock 27 for Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by badger54 View Post
    Why not get a 5.11 patrol jacket or something similar and OC with a winter coat on. That's what I do at work. There is a side zip to allow your firearm to be exposed.
    Or for significantly less than buying a fancy new jacket, take one you already own to your local tailor and show them where you want a zipper installed and how high you want it to go. Bring a picture of the name-brand product if you want to.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Or for significantly less than buying a fancy new jacket, take one you already own to your local tailor and show them where you want a zipper installed and how high you want it to go. Bring a picture of the name-brand product if you want to.

stay safe.
    Though I have promised to do that for many years, verily it's still on my bucket list.

I seldom wear long coats, so it is still effective to flip the flap (Virginia tuck) on my jackets, even when zipped.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-15-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

My summer rain/wind jacket is pea cut so I can still access everything on my belt. But for the winters I'm willing to cover everything up other then the gun for the little bit extra warmth.
    WTT: Glock 27 for Glock 26

Years ago when I had a Beretta 92FS I found that the colder it got the slower the action was on the pistol. I found by stripping it down and cleaning the oils out of it and then rubbing the working parts down with graphite the cold weather performance improved. Nothing like warm weather, it seemed like it was rather "clunky" (right term?).
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

Banned
    Cold temps have nothing to do with when winter starts ... happens on/about 21 DEC 14 where I live.

Being nit-picky here ....

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    The weather in Coeur D Alene has been very mild.

I open carry my HK 45 and it is tested to -42 degrees F and I don't believe rain will bother it much.

I will open carry, no matter the weather and I refuse to get a "permit" to carry concealed.

My philosophy of use does not change with the weather.

Carry On!