Thread: Robbery stopped by armed customer - customer releases robber from custody?

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Robbery stopped by armed customer - customer releases robber from custody?

A robbery was stopped as soon as it began by an armed customer, but the customer, not knowing the extent of his authority to detain the suspect, told him to get out and don't come back.

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/crim...bery/18841373/

It is unfortunate that the customer allowed the suspect to leave.

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Chapter 14 Arrest Without Warrant http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...R.14.htm#14.01
    Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or any other person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

(b) A peace officer may arrest an offender without a warrant for any offense committed in his presence or within his view.
    Advocate freedom please

Banned
    Maybe he knew the thief ? Stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Maybe he knew the thief ? Stranger things have happened.
    I had not considered that, it's certainly not something that we can rule out.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Maybe he knew the thief ?
    This occurring in San Antonio, maybe the man had Voted for the thief.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    If the customer had not told the guy to leave, if the robber decided to make a run for it, I wonder what level of force the customer would have been allowed to use to hold him.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Beginning January 1, 2017--Private person's use of force in making an arrest.

http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/56300000511.html
    There is a fine line between unlawful confinement/detainment or kidnapping and a citizen's arrest.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    There is a fine line between unlawful confinement/detainment or kidnapping and a citizen's arrest.
    +1
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Go to the TexasCHLforum. The person who was the CHL holder posted what happened and why he let the perp run. His explanation is based on the IMMEDIATE safety of others in the immediate vicinity.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Go to the TexasCHLforum. The person who was the CHL holder posted what happened and why he let the perp run. His explanation is based on the IMMEDIATE safety of others in the immediate vicinity.
    I'd rather not go there... Could you quote the explanation here?
    Advocate freedom please

Without details he did what I would have done, I am no longer a cop, not my job. Stop the threat, and I don't care what the threat does after that. In fact the threat leaving the scene to me is optimal, takes me and mine out of danger.

A few others and I have made it clear that we do not carry to get the bad guy.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump