Thread: I 594 & looking ahead

I 594 & looking ahead

It may be too soon with lots of aggravation to go around but wanted to suggest some food for thought going forward.

Once a law it is unlikely 594 will be overturned and as previously suggested the best way to get rid of it is enforcement. This is a double edged sword if law enforcement does not subscribe to the law. The legislature can not touch this for two years without a 2/3 vote, so that provides some time to get them "educated"

The jury box is more likely to have the desired effect but it requires individuals to engage in the judical process and subsequently use jury nullification to change the law. Two page brief attached regarding victimless crimes or "political crimes".

<Snippet from FIJA.org>

If you are called for Jury Duty

Don't worry! Be happy! Look at jury service as an opportunity to "do good" for yourself and others. It's your chance to help the justice system deliver justice, which is absolutely essential to a free society.

Also, you can do more "political good" as a juror than in practically any other way as a citizen: your vote on the verdict is also a measure of public opinion on the law itself--an opinion which our lawmakers are likely to take seriously. Short of being elected to office yourself, you may never otherwise have a more powerful impact on the rules we live by than you will as a trial juror.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Banned
    The pdf should go more into detail to counter judges' instructions that they cannot nullify. Because they can tell jurists that ... even though its not true.

I really hate to parrot someone such as Primus, but I would love to see shirt pocket hidden video of you doing half the things you say you do. If you do so in a manner I deem acceptable, I would personally procure your transportation to the Old Dominion.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I really hate to parrot someone such as Primus, but I would love to see shirt pocket hidden video of you doing half the things you say you do. If you do so in a manner I deem acceptable, I would personally procure your transportation to the Old Dominion.
    I rarely video record but do audio record. I offer to send proof all the time...most proof cannot be attached on this site so I do this through PM and email. I send out proof to members occasionally...just did so last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    It may be too soon with lots of aggravation to go around but wanted to suggest some food for thought going forward.

Once a law it is unlikely 594 will be overturned and as previously suggested the best way to get rid of it is enforcement. This is a double edged sword if law enforcement does not subscribe to the law. The legislature can not touch this for two years without a 2/3 vote, so that provides some time to get them "educated"

The jury box is more likely to have the desired effect but it requires individuals to engage in the judical process and subsequently use jury nullification to change the law. Two page brief attached regarding victimless crimes or "political crimes".

<Snippet from FIJA.org>

If you are called for Jury Duty

Don't worry! Be happy! Look at jury service as an opportunity to "do good" for yourself and others. It's your chance to help the justice system deliver justice, which is absolutely essential to a free society.

Also, you can do more "political good" as a juror than in practically any other way as a citizen: your vote on the verdict is also a measure of public opinion on the law itself--an opinion which our lawmakers are likely to take seriously. Short of being elected to office yourself, you may never otherwise have a more powerful impact on the rules we live by than you will as a trial juror.

~Whitney
    So.... willing to lie in order to get in the Jury box?

Because unless you agree to not judge the law, then they ain't gonna let you sit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

Because unless you agree to not judge the law, then they ain't gonna let you sit.
    They let me sit .... and I don't listen to any judge when I'm a jurist...

Depends on what the definition of is is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post

Specifically the answer to your question is no. I would like to relate a quick story though.

Kitsap county had two district court candidates in the last election. I emailed both prospective judges the following question.
    "I'm working on my ballot and want to know where you stand on the philosophy of jury nullification.
    Specifically judges explaining to jurors they cannot be required to check their conscience at the courthouse door."

One called me back at home and had a 30 minute conversation with me regading jury nullification. Sometimes what is not said rings louder than what is actually said.

Not all Judges agree on "judging the law", and yet I agree with your assertation.

I am pretty open minded and value your opinion, what other means do we have to get there?

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They let me sit .... and I don't listen to any judge when I'm a jurist...
    idk about your experience, but I was threatened with contempt and then kicked out

Judges hate it when a jurist quotes case law, proving they just lied when giving their instructions.

King courts might be diff than Kitsap though.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 11-13-2014 at 12:03 AM.