• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police got my info from youtube

ps1mhd

I posted a OC vid on Jul 13, 2014 on YouTube and Cincinnati police call me about 3 weeks ago.
The Lt said they had my name, number and E-mail address.
I didn't give them my mane or ID and they did not see my car.
She said their computer dept. had got it.
My question is wouldn't they need a warrant to get this type of personal info or does YouTube
just give your info out? Or did they hack my account?
I looked and didn't see anything in their Terms of Service about this but I could of missed it.
I am looking into a FOIA request.

Mike D

OC for ME

Talk to a local attorney. It would be very intersting to know how they obtained information about you. Viewing the video may provide some clues. Look beyond the focal points of the video. Listen beyond the primary speakers to the background noises/voices. They are cops after all. Then again, you could have been "snitched on" if you will. Not enough info to be of much assistance. Good luck.

On another note, there is a remedy to having your information obtained by the cops via the interwebz. I personally do not post anything on the interwebz...ever. ;)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, if they asked google/youtube for information ~ they would have done this via some written instrument.

Available under a record request unless, possibly ~ depends on your open records act, the investigation is ongoing...something your would want to know about anyways.

Also ask for a record that they would have to give out ... like a phone directory .. that way you'll have a record that they got your request..

Primus

I posted a OC vid on Jul 13, 2014 on YouTube and Cincinnati police call me about 3 weeks ago.
The Lt said they had my name, number and E-mail address.
I didn't give them my mane or ID and they did not see my car.
She said their computer dept. had got it.
My question is wouldn't they need a warrant to get this type of personal info or does YouTube
just give your info out? Or did they hack my account?
I looked and didn't see anything in their Terms of Service about this but I could of missed it.
I am looking into a FOIA request.

Mike D
So why the courtesy call? Just to tell you they have your info? Or to advise you they are filling charges?

mikeyb

So why the courtesy call? Just to tell you they have your info? Or to advise you they are filling charges?

To confirm id. And to know he'll answer the phone.

The obvious error was creating a YouTube/Google account with a real name. To track down a user info from a video may or may not be unreasonable, depending upon the reason why. IA, lawsuit, whatever.

Primus

To confirm id. And to know he'll answer the phone.

The obvious error was creating a YouTube/Google account with a real name. To track down a user info from a video may or may not be unreasonable, depending upon the reason why. IA, lawsuit, whatever.
Seems fishy... So the officer just randomly calls the guy to say hi I know who you are?

And if he created the account with a real name as the username then it'd be easy to find him. Like if the username was JoeSnuffy21 and his name is Joe Snuffy then easy to find.

OC for ME

Why would CPD be contacting a dude 40+ mile away from Cinnci, in KY is a better question. CPD...pfft...if ya don't go to Cinnci. What the retort should have been is that the OP simply said back atcha copper...see ya in court.

markand

I would suspect it isn't a "courtesy" at all, but a message to the effect, "We know who you are and where to find you. We can kick down your door anytime we want. Go ahead and post something else."

PeterNSteinmetz

Are the activities depicted in the video legal in that jurisdiction ? If so, who cares if they know who made the video? Though I do agree it is curious they would call.

Last edited:

Primus

Are the activities depicted in the video legal in that jurisdiction ? If so, who cares if they know who made the video? Though I do agree it is curious they would call.
So who wants to bet me a box of donuts there's more to this story?

Here's my guess.... OP takes video and posts it. Probably of an arrest or police encounter. Activity may or may not be legal. The PD starts investigation into possibly charging him. They call him in regards to investigation they started based on incident.

Jack House

It's very easy to get personal information from YouTube, all you have to do is submit a fake DMCA claim. Once that claim goes through and your victim disputes the claim, YouTube sends you everything they got on them.

notalawyer

His comment from YouTube:

UPDATE: 24 OCT 2014 Cincinnati PD LT. called me She said she had talked with the Sgt.
and informed him of the open carry laws. He had been working as a investigator and just been promoted to Sgt. and asked if I wanted to make a complaint I said no that I was ok with him learning from this.
She also said she has worked events and has seen me at some of them???
How does she know what I look like???
She also said after I asked that there computer people had got my name, phone # and E-mail address Big Brother is watching:( 

NosePicker

It's very easy to get personal information from YouTube, all you have to do is submit a fake DMCA claim. Once that claim goes through and your victim disputes the claim, YouTube sends you everything they got on them.

Have you done this ? I am now curious to see if this can work. Remember though that when you file a copyright claim you have to give all of your information and I believe you are certifying, under penalty of perjury, that your claim is valid. I believe this is legally binding and if you lie its criminal.

ps1mhd

This is what I posted in the Ohio post when I got the call.

Cincinnati PD LT. called ME She said she had talked with the Sgt.
and informed him of the open carry laws. He had been working as a investigator and just been promoted to Sgt. and asked if I wanted to make a complaint I said no that I was ok with him learning from this.
She also said she has worked events and has seen me at some of them
How does she know what I look like
She also said after I asked that there computer people had got my name, phone # and E-mail address.
Big Brother is watching

Jack House

Have you done this ? I am now curious to see if this can work. Remember though that when you file a copyright claim you have to give all of your information and I believe you are certifying, under penalty of perjury, that your claim is valid. I believe this is legally binding and if you lie its criminal.

You are mistaken. There is no punishment for filing false DMCA claims.

Look it up, they're used constantly as anticompetitive weapon.

Also this: http://m.slashdot.org/story/209471

Last edited:

HPmatt

Dallas, is a little far from Cincy, but would think an OC meet up & BBQ w/b nice to have in that pretty park.
Maybe on a sunny day since it w/b about 20deg over next few weeks...