• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police mistakenly shoot 911 caller during manhunt

devldogs55

Doesn't say if it was Open Carry or not.. but still - one more reason to never go to Vancouver WA

http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/loca...ler-after-he-reports-seeing-suspect/18885169/

VANCOUVER, Wash. - A man who called 911 to report that he had seen a shooting suspect was mistakenly shot by responding law enforcement officers on October 31, Vancouver police said Tuesday.

The man had told police that he spotted 59-year-old John Kendall in the 700 block of Northeast Blanford Drive. A manhunt was under way at the time for Kendall, who deputies said had shot his neighbor earlier that morning.

Background: Suspect dead, two injured in Vancouver shootings

Investigators then confirmed Kendall's cell phone was in the immediate area according to the Vancouver Police Department.

A SWAT team arriving at the scene spotted a man who matched Kendall's description. They were unaware that the citizen who called 911 was still there.

"Law enforcement personnel watched as the citizen (believed to be Kendall) exited his vehicle and circled behind his trunk," police explained. "Fearing that he armed himself, law enforcement fired multiple shots at the individual in order to stop the perceived threat before the citizen could enter the woods."

The man was shot in the leg. He took cover behind a gravel pile and fired a shot back, then he called 911 again, this time to report that he had been shot.

Officers made contact with the man and provided first aid until he was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Kendall was found nearby a short time later with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was dead before police arrived, but he and his vehicle were obscured from the view of the SWAT team, according to the police statement.

The man shot by police asked not to be identified. Investigators said there was no apparent connection between him and Kendall.

A regional major crimes team was continuing the investigation.

The law enforcement personnel involved were identified as Corporal Chris Leblanc, 47; Officer Brian Frances, 38; and Deputy Anthony Spainhower, 39. They were placed on administrative leave, per routine in this type of investigation.

The other victim, the neighbor hurt in the initial shooting, was hospitalized with critical injuries to her face and said she will likely lose her right eye.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Fearing that he armed himself, law enforcement fired multiple shots at the individual in order to stop the perceived threat ....

So how come we cannot shoot when it's just a perceived (read "we think it might happen but have no evidence to support that notion or that an actual threat exists") threat but they do?

Would someone please FOIA the second 911 call and put it up where we can hear it.

911. What is your emergency.

Yeah. A whole bunch of [expletive deleted] just shot at me for no [expletive deleted] reason. I'm behind my car and shooting back at them, I need an ambulance - they got me in the leg.

Sir, please put down the gun. Those are police officers who just want to make sure they go home at the end of their shift.

Normally I don't pick on the cops until/unless there is good documentation that they screwed the pooch. But it sure sounds like they did in this case.

stay safe.

deanf

Fearing that he armed himself, law enforcement fired multiple shots at the individual in order to stop the perceived threat ....

A fear that he armed himself is not relevant. Probably something someone inserted into the story. If they reasonably thought they guy was the shooting suspect, and they thought he was going to flee, then it follows that he was an imminent danger (to any and everyone), and deadly force is justified, police officer or not.

Primus

[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

A fear that he armed himself is not relevant. Probably something someone inserted into the story. If they reasonably thought they guy was the shooting suspect, and they thought he was going to flee, then it follows that he was an imminent danger (to any and everyone), and deadly force is justified, police officer or not.
Fleeing felon rule...

Can't say I agree with the use here. I have problems with shooting guys without at least giving them chance to cooperate.

But I wasn't there so clearly they saw something I didnt.

devldogs55

[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I couldn't disagree more. Just being worried that someone is armed; just being worried that someone is a shooting suspect; and just being worried that someone is the bad guy does not ever - under any law in this country - justify the use of deadly force. Cops aren't special.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Fleeing felon rule...

Can't say I agree with the use here. I have problems with shooting guys without at least giving them chance to cooperate.

But I wasn't there so clearly they saw something I didnt.

I don't think that the cops fled ... except to go home.

deanf

Cops aren't special.

It's got nothing to do with being a cop. And it's got nothing to do with being "worried". I didn't say that.

If anyone reasonably believes someone poses an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm (to anyone else), then lethal force is justified, no challenge (stop! put your hands up!) required.

This is basic self defense stuff. If you're not aware of the most basic laws surrounding self defense, please turn your guns in to the government.

Do you know why some people tend to advocate for cops after a self defense shooting? It's because if the cops loose the ability to defend themselves in a certain situation, the rest of us have lost that ability too. Think on that for a while.

Primus

"I wasn't there" the ultimate in "good cop" cop outs. no pun intended.
Well what was left unsaid is you weren't there either so you didn't see what they saw either.

Difference is I'm willing to acknowledge that instead of pretending I know something I don't.

Want a hug? :D

devldogs55

This is basic self defense stuff. If you're not aware of the most basic laws surrounding self defense, please turn your guns in to the government.

It sounds like you may want to take your own advice, my friend. What about this story sounds like the police had a REASONABLE fear for their lives? He did not display a weapon until AFTER they fired at him; he did not act aggressively towards them, in fact he moved away from them and hid. There is no way they had a REASONABLE fear for their lives - unless something that wasn't posted in this story happened. Even still, going off what is written is all we have at the moment.

Last edited:

Spooler41

Money in the bank

I can see that this 911 caller, may have a good chance of having his medical bills paid for plus a large settlement
coming from the Vancouver PD. I hope he makes out on this deal.

..................Jack

WalkingWolf

Yet again the police fail to protect and in fact harm the citizen. Some idiot with a badge just thought it was a good idea to shoot the first person he saw with a gun. The ole shoot first get away with it later routine.

deanf

There is no way they had a REASONABLE fear for their lives

It's not THEIR lives they have to be in fear for. It's anyone's. If they thought that was their man, and they thought he was going to leave and harm more people, that's all they need. It sounds like that's what they're hanging their hat on.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yet again the police fail to protect and in fact harm the citizen. Some idiot with a badge just thought it was a good idea to shoot the first person he saw with a gun. The ole shoot first get away with it later routine.

Using just the facts we have available - which basically is the news report - I wonder where you picked up that the cops actually saw a gun until the guy started returning fire.

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
It's about the same as the newspaper ladies and the Surfer getting shot, and shot at, in LA during Dorner.

Scared little bullies running around with guns is not a safe environment for any human being or house pet.

You got one great "family", primus. You must be proud. .:p

Last edited: