• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police mistakenly shoot 911 caller during manhunt

WalkingWolf

Using just the facts we have available - which basically is the news report - I wonder where you picked up that the cops actually saw a gun until the guy started returning fire.

stay safe.

You are right, but from the info the officer seems to claim, he thought he might have, could have had, was going to have a gun.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Can't say I agree with the use here.

I have problems with shooting guys without at least giving them chance to cooperate.

This is called "conversational distance" because you generally don't shoot someone unless you have spoken with them. This sounds more like an ambush than anything. I was under the impression that they were to go out and "apprehend" the BG, not snipe them.

You shoot at me? I do not give a rats a$$ what kind of suit you are wearing, I will return fire and I will hit you. So, LEOs, think about the fact that a great number of us are tired of your ..........well you know the rest.

This, ladies and gentlemen is why you stay on the line when you call 911. Do not hang up until there is resolution. This is very important if you have a big a$$ pistol hanging off your belt as I do.

Primus

It's about the same as the newspaper ladies and the Surfer getting shot, and shot at, in LA during Dorner.

Scared little bullies running around with guns is not a safe environment for any human being or house pet.

You got one great "family", primus. You must be proud. .:p
I do have a great family. Your part of it too brother. All Americans are my family :D.

Just because they share my occupation does not make them close relatives. Especially if they act like such.

Primus

It's not THEIR lives they have to be in fear for. It's anyone's. If they thought that was their man, and they thought he was going to leave and harm more people, that's all they need. It sounds like that's what they're hanging their hat on.

[/COLOR]
I agree. Only problem I have is if your going to shoot a fleeing felon you better be damn sure that's the felon. Not just a dude that looks like him.

But your spot on with the concept.

Jeff. State

Banned
I do have a great family. Your part of it too brother. All Americans are my family :D.

Just because they share my occupation does not make them close relatives. Especially if they act like such.

Primus I have spent enough time at policeone to know Blue "family" is all that counts. Only the most egregious of crimes committed by "Brothers" will be criticized and usually swept under the carpet as quick as possible.

Family? Y'all are Hatfields the rest of us are McCoys.

Primus

Primus I have spent enough time at policeone to know Blue "family" is all that counts. Only the most egregious of crimes committed by "Brothers" will be criticized and usually swept under the carpet as quick as possible.

Family? Y'all are Hatfields the rest of us are McCoys.
Lmao... Trolling policeone so you think you know something about cops? Now THATS funny. There's more trolls on there then there are real cops.

devldogs55

It's not THEIR lives they have to be in fear for. It's anyone's. If they thought that was their man, and they thought he was going to leave and harm more people, that's all they need. It sounds like that's what they're hanging their hat on.

Well that is what they're hanging their hat on - but it doesn't mean much to me. I'm all good with police protecting people when they fear for someone's safety and there is a reasonable and articulable reason. They will not be able to give one in this case. It's self defense basics....

Jeff. State

Banned
Lmao... Trolling policeone so you think you know something about cops? Now THATS funny. There's more trolls on there then there are real cops.

Cop Trolls? If you're not a CONFIRMED cop, you cant post? I used to post there until my LE status was pulled because I wasn't "sworn", but I am deputized. They didn't like my POV, and refuse a Deputized National Park Ranger a voice.

Primus

Cop Trolls? If you're not a CONFIRMED cop, you cant post? I used to post there until my LE status was pulled because I wasn't "sworn", but I am deputized. They didn't like my POV, and refuse a Deputized National Park Ranger a voice.

Oh no you can certainly post all you want. Others on here have admitted to trolling around there too. No big deal. It is a free country.

Lol that's nice. So you work for the .gov? How ironic..

RogueReflections

Dialing 911?

As a general rule, I will not dial 911. I never considered myself "anti-cop," but I have dealt with enough of them to know I don't want to mix with them. They have the power to arrest and use force against citizen that goes largely unchallenged. If it is a cop's word against a citizen's, in court, the cop's word is almost always taken as fact. This is the reason I film and and ALL contact with law enforcement.

Jeff. State

Banned
Oh no you can certainly post all you want. Others on here have admitted to trolling around there too. No big deal. It is a free country.

Lol that's nice. So you work for the .gov? How ironic..

I don't "work" for them, I do not get paid by them. I perform a service/take part in a annual event that I am officially designated a deputized ranger..

Last edited:

Primus

I don't "work" for them, I do not get paid by them. I perform a service/take part in a annual event that I am officially designated a deputized ranger..
Well yea. That certainly makes you a cop. I can't imagine why they wouldn't count that as being on the job.

END_THE_FED

A fear that he armed himself is not relevant. Probably something someone inserted into the story. If they reasonably thought they guy was the shooting suspect, and they thought he was going to flee, then it follows that he was an imminent danger (to any and everyone), and deadly force is justified, police officer or not.

...............If anyone reasonably believes someone poses an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm (to anyone else), then lethal force is justified, no challenge (stop! put your hands up!) required.................

Would you agree that (in this circumstance and barring other obvious factors) in order to reasonably think that this person posed an imminent threat, one would first have to reasonably believe that he was the shooting suspect? If so, shouldn't that require a higher threshold than "matched the description of?" perhaps something along the lines of "reasonably identified as"?

(Of course the article could be wrong, but it seems to suggest that the person merely "matched the description" which could be as vague as "6ft tall white male late 50s".) That would not be enough, in my opinion (hopefully yours as well?) to make a reasonable conclusion that he was their suspect.

As a side note, I would be curious to know from what distance the responding officers made this identification and started firing.

Also, this was not a guy on a huge mass shooting rampage. This was a man who (allegedly) shot one person. In my opinion it is not reasonable to presume he has intention to shoot other people.

Last edited:

OC for ME

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2014/11/cops_mistakenly_shoot_911_call.html

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/nov/11/man-shot-police-john-kendall-shooting-blandford/

Did the cops ID themselves prior to discharging their weapons? It will be interesting to learn what the cops were told over the radio. It will be interesting to see the response by the injured citizen. It will be especially interesting to see if there is any reaction, from the citizenry, when it is announced that the cops acted properly, within department guidelines, and will not be subject to any corrective action.

HPmatt

Maybe the guy was getting the BB gun he just bought at Wal-Mart out of his trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoskinsonemanns

Would you agree that (in this circumstance and barring other obvious factors) in order to reasonably think that this person posed an imminent threat, one would first have to reasonably believe that he was the shooting suspect?

By the story it seems obvious the cops identified the man as a non-LEO and therefore a threat. None of the LEO were hurt and therefore it was a success. Where's the issue?