• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry cap and ball pistol

WalkingWolf

Since cap and ball is the only open carry option of a handgun in Texas until legislation is passed I thought I would give some data as far as power from them. I have never clocked my cap and ball revolvers, though they are very accurate. Today I set up the chrono plastic wrapped it to protect the sensors from smoke residue and fired away.

Keep in mind my revolvers have been sitting for years loaded and capped. Not one malfunction, so it is not necessary to empty them and reload them as long as they are stored properly. I also did not log my readings but can give you a general idea.

First up was a 8 inch 1858, I believe I had it loaded with 25 gr Goetz 3F. Throwing the 148 grain ball at a amazing 1050 FPS average, nothing less than a thousand and one time I broke 1100. Next I shot one of my 51 navy 44 cal, same ball same powder charge for an average of 925 FPS, nothing less then 875 FPS. The only disappointment was my avenging angel with a short 3 inch barrel, readings were very low at 450 FPS, didn't have much kick so I may have loaded it light. It should have kicked hard with the short barrel. I will try it tomorrow with 35 grains of powder, about the most that will fit.

So if you are considering carrying a cap and ball you can be assured that you can count on one to get the job done.

**Correction, the loads were pyrodex P**, I discovered this today when I pulled the bullet on one I did not fire yesterday. I could not get the velocity with the BP that I got with the Pyro P. I had them loaded so long I forgot. Also the load was 30 grains, not 25.

Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited:

b0neZ

I was thinking of carrying a cap and ball, just to switch up from my EDC once in a while. Now I just might go for it, but only after much education and practice.

Thanks for the range report.

stealthyeliminator

Thanks for the info. When I've heard people talk about shooting them, they've said that they were surprised at the accuracy of them. Deadly weapons, no doubt, and you could certainly use one to defend yourself as long as you take the time to make sure you're using it properly... But that goes with any weapon.

qednick

Appreciate the info! I've actually been looking at these online. They're inexpensive and I've heard they're a boatload of fun to shoot as well as surprisingly accurate.

WalkingWolf

Read my OP again, I corrected my mistake of which powder was loaded in the revolvers. It was actually Pyro P, they had been loaded so long I forgot.

Contrarian

C&B

Appreciate the info! I've actually been looking at these online. They're inexpensive and I've heard they're a boatload of fun to shoot as well as surprisingly accurate.

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but was there not an instance where two (?) men were arrested for carrying C&B revolvers in TX?

WalkingWolf

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but was there not an instance where two (?) men were arrested for carrying C&B revolvers in TX?

I think so, but it was on capital grounds IIRC. Not sure where the charges went on those arrests either. But OCT has been OCing C&B revolvers at their events without problems. I think the state has recognized that AF is legal.

Hopefully Stealth can weigh in if he has more information on those arrests.

qednick

Charged with Disorderly Conduct I believe...DPS didn't like them carrying on Capitol grounds as far as I'm aware. The DC charge being, of course, the BS charge cops use whenever they can't charge you with anything else. I really hope HB195 has a chance considering there's language in there to help prevent these BS charges.

Honestly though, I was looking at the CnB revolvers simply for fun (not to OC). They're inexpensive, and are not classed as firearms under either Texas or Federal law, and therefore no hoops to jump through to buy one.

WalkingWolf

Charged with Disorderly Conduct I believe...DPS didn't like them carrying on Capitol grounds as far as I'm aware. The DC charge being, of course, the BS charge cops use whenever they can't charge you with anything else. I really hope HB195 has a chance considering there's language in there to help prevent these BS charges.

Honestly though, I was looking at the CnB revolvers simply for fun (not to OC). They're inexpensive, and are not classed as firearms under either Texas or Federal law, and therefore no hoops to jump through to buy one.

As a teenager I OC'd a C&B on the farm for years, it was my first handgun. I took a lot of rabbits with that little gun(31 cal revolver). The only thing that stops me from carrying one now on a regular basis is I love them so much I would hate to lose one to evidence in a SD shooting. Once that happens the gun will be junk, because the police will not clean the gun, and they will probably have it for a couple of months. BUT, if that was all I had losing the gun would be better than losing one's life.

b0neZ

As a teenager I OC'd a C&B on the farm for years, it was my first handgun. I took a lot of rabbits with that little gun(31 cal revolver). The only thing that stops me from carrying one now on a regular basis is I love them so much I would hate to lose one to evidence in a SD shooting. Once that happens the gun will be junk, because the police will not clean the gun, and they will probably have it for a couple of months. BUT, if that was all I had losing the gun would be better than losing one's life.

You can go to Sportsmans Warehouse and get one, with all needed things needed to get started except for the BP itself, in a blister package for ~$260.

qednick

You can go to Sportsmans Warehouse and get one, with all needed things needed to get started except for the BP itself, in a blister package for ~$260.

Unfortunately they closed the Sportsman's Warehouse here in San Antonio a while back. I used to love that store. However, I've been looking at several models at Cabellas. They've got some great starter kits there starting at like $199 and up, and several with 5 star reviews online for fun/accuracy, etc. The only real complaints I saw were about getting the correct size balls & caps.

Once I get my wedding out the way week after next, I'm going to treat myself to one.

b0neZ

Unfortunately they closed the Sportsman's Warehouse here in San Antonio a while back. I used to love that store. However, I've been looking at several models at Cabellas. They've got some great starter kits there starting at like $199 and up, and several with 5 star reviews online for fun/accuracy, etc. The only real complaints I saw were about getting the correct size balls & caps.

Once I get my wedding out the way week after next, I'm going to treat myself to one.

Nearest Cabellas to me is about 90 minutes or so NW versus a 30 minute drive to Carson City to Sportsmans Warehouse, so there wouldn't be any cost savings in the drive, but I have yet to get any of my family up there to drool for a day, so I might use that as an excuse for the road trip.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Maybe get His and Hers C&B?

WalkingWolf

Nearest Cabellas to me is about 90 minutes or so NW versus a 30 minute drive to Carson City to Sportsmans Warehouse, so there wouldn't be any cost savings in the drive, but I have yet to get any of my family up there to drool for a day, so I might use that as an excuse for the road trip.

+1 on the upcoming incarceration. Just kidding!

Or you could buy a pair for each of you to carry. If the C&B is going to be used for SD having a second is a good idea. Whenever I carry any revolver I always carry two.

stealthyeliminator

I think so, but it was on capital grounds IIRC. Not sure where the charges went on those arrests either. But OCT has been OCing C&B revolvers at their events without problems. I think the state has recognized that AF is legal.

Hopefully Stealth can weigh in if he has more information on those arrests.

I asked one of those arrested. For most of them the issue is still unresolved. After more than 10 court appearances they've yet to even be formally charged with anything, and they probably won't be. They prosecutor's office is intentionally abusing the system to hurt those that were arrested at the capitol, abusing the system because they know there is not a conviction they could achieve.

qednick

Hehe thanks fellas! TBH she's not really interested in guns or shooting. She's not anti gun at all and did grow up around them. She just doesn't have the interest (yet). Though I did get her to shoot for the very first time a couple months back and she didn't freak out or anything. She has no issues with me carrying and I'm sure I'll get her behind the trigger again in the future.

My ex on the other hand was vehemently anti gun when we first got married. It took a while but I did manage to get her to do a complete 180 on that issue. All it took was a visit to the range--when she suddenly decided she loved guns and shooting. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Sorry for going off topic a bit there!

Robin47

Or you could buy a pair for each of you to carry. If the C&B is going to be used for SD having a second is a good idea. Whenever I carry any revolver I always carry two.

Good post WalkingWolf, Good to see another C&B shooter, I to have a couple of colt 44's and some 36, 51's to and yes they are 10 times more fun then modern
firearms.
I to carry two, and onetime going to my shooting area in the woods, was attacked by 2 wild dogs, well I shot at one wounded him and then it jammed, ( Cap in hammer area)
so I grabbed the other and shot the wounded dog dead, by that time the other was headed "Out of Dodge" :)
Buried the dead one then.
I also hunt small game !
I do use BP though, I like it best.
Yes carry two is always the best ! Robin47 :)